FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
incompatible software
#65958 03/30/24 01:26 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Today a window pooped up on my screen saying "Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "Oracle America, Inc" which will be incompatible with a future version of mac OS. Contact the developer for support."
I cannot find that extension anywhere. I don't remember downloading anything to do with Oracle America. Is Oracle Corporation the developer? Is it possible to remove the extension? If so, where is it?

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: incompatible software
jaybass #65959 03/30/24 03:29 PM

You may want to consider the possibility that you're being hacked/scammed, with malware installed or in the offing.
You probably shouldn't try to contact "Oracle America" (if such actually exists) which might give malfeasants entry/access to your equipment ± data.

jaybass #65960 03/30/24 04:54 PM

Oracle is associated with Java, a programming language. You may have some applications that use Java or Javascript in their operation. Search your computer to see if you have a Java extension. It is possible that the application with which it is associated is one that you no longer need or use.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
grelber #65961 03/30/24 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by grelber
You may want to consider the possibility that you're being hacked/scammed, with malware installed or in the offing.
You probably shouldn't try to contact "Oracle America" (if such actually exists) which might give malfeasants entry/access to your equipment ± data.
I wouldn't give that a second thought.

Malware would have directed jaybass to contact some entity in some manner...a link, phone number, etc.

I wonder, though, why the pop-up wasn't more specific?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #65962 03/30/24 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Oracle is associated with Java, a programming language. You may have some applications that use Java or Javascript in their operation. Search your computer to see if you have a Java extension. It is possible that the application with which it is associated is one that you no longer need or use.
Aren't Java and Javascript completely different things that share a term and thereby cause much confusion?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #65963 03/30/24 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Do not confuse JAVA and JavaScript (a.k.a. ECMAScript) Java is a full blown programming language currently the property of Oracle Systems. Javascript is a scripting language used in internet browsers originally developed for the forerunner of Firefox, Netscape and now found in all browsers. The sole relationship between Java and Javascript is the first four characters of their respective names J, A, V, and A. IIRC, the last version of Oracle for the Mac was in macOS 8 or 9 but I don't think it was ever available for macOS X. But that does not mean there isn't a fragment of Oracle code in a third-party application.

Your message sounds like a legitimate warning that I was seeing on my system caused by a software fragment embedded in some other app that has not been properly "signed" (authenticated) and because of that lack, an unstated future version of macOS (macOS 15 maybe) may not permit it to run. That was resolved by this week's release of SoftRAID 8.0. The easiest way to find the miscreant code is Etrecheck Pro, which will find the questionable code fragment and can even help delete it from your system, or more likely identify the app taht needs updating.. There is also the possibiity that the warning is a scam and if Etrecheck doesn't find anything you are okay

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
joemikeb #65964 03/30/24 08:16 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

(2) days ago I updated to 13.6.6 and perhaps because of that, I received the notice? However, I will give Etrecheck a whirl and hopefully it will resolve the issue. The popup has a pink background with a house at the top with a clock beneath the gable.

If that tells you anything? I will post the results. Thanks joe,

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #65965 03/30/24 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
(2) days ago I updated to 13.6.6 and perhaps because of that, I received the notice? However, I will give Etrecheck a whirl and hopefully it will resolve the issue. The popup has a pink background with a house at the top with a clock beneath the gable.

That is NOT the standard Apple notice. If you see it again, grab a screenshot and post it. This is sounding more like a scam, possibly targeting Windows users.

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #65966 03/30/24 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb

That is NOT the standard Apple notice. If you see it again, grab a screenshot and post it. This is sounding more like a scam, possibly targeting Windows users.
That "pink background with a house at the top with a clock beneath the gable" sounds awfully familiar, but I've got no idea from where.

And a scam pop-up with no direction/link/phone # doesn't make any sense, does it?

artie505 #65967 03/30/24 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
That "pink background with a house at the top with a clock beneath the gable" sounds awfully familiar, but I've got no idea from where.

And a scam pop-up with no direction/link/phone # doesn't make any sense, does it?
The symbol doesn't raise any memory for me, but I have encountered a very elaborate scam involving what appeared to be pop-ups accompanied by text messages and a very well done faux web site emulating my bank, so almost anything is possible. But, this is not an Apple warning, and they are the most common source of similar warnings. To quote a frequent contributor on FineTunedMac ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wink

--Walt Disney
joemikeb #65968 03/31/24 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
But, this is not an Apple warning, and they are the most common source of similar warnings. To quote a frequent contributor on FineTunedMac ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wink
On the mark, but unless jaybass has missed something, a freestanding pop-up with no accompaniment of any sort doesn't make the least bit of sense no matter what direction I look at it from. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joemikeb #65969 03/31/24 12:58 AM

It actually does turn out to be an Apple warning, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What the ‘Legacy System Extension’ Mac Message Means & What To Do About It

A perusal of hits produced by duckduckgoing the message content suggests that although various legacy apps may trigger it, Oracle's VirtualBox is known to be one of them.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #65970 03/31/24 01:07 AM

The various versions of the popup that I found weren't pink, and the safe dial that jaybass took to be a clock often didn't really look like either one, but this particular rendition seems to fit the bill.

dkmarsh #65971 03/31/24 01:09 AM

Great searching yet again, but the pop-up in your linked document doesn't look at all like jaybass described, particularly inasmuch as his was pink, which is (may I say) unheard of for Apple.

artie505 #65972 03/31/24 01:34 AM

I refer you to my subsequent post.

dkmarsh #65973 03/31/24 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by dkmarsh
The various versions of the popup that I found weren't pink, and the safe dial that jaybass took to be a clock often didn't really look like either one, but this particular rendition seems to fit the bill.
Yep, it does.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

When I said that jaybass's description rang a bell I wasn't thinking of anything like this...dunno what I had in mind.

It's been said before, but jaybass needs to get in the habit of posting screenshots rather than descriptions. A screenshot in his first post probably would have saved an awful lot of back and forth.

joemikeb #65974 03/31/24 01:50 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

joe, After my last post, I shut down my computer. The next morning when I thought I would boot up, I found that my computer had NOT shut down. Some message appeared giving some reason which I cannot recall...I should have took a screenshot.

I did download Etrecheck which gave me a comprehensive report. It read that there are orphaned files that could be removed, unsigned files which didn't advise to remove, System notifications running in the background ( their purpose?) Some kernel

extensions may not work in the future, and finally and the one I was most interested in...(4 files) Library/app/support/virtual box each containing the words "Oracle America" which I removed, which after shut down, stayed shut down. I'm enclosing a

screenshot of the original message. I hope you can read it?

jaybass

/Users/abc/Desktop/Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 9.02.59 AM.png

dkmarsh #65975 03/31/24 01:55 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

dkmarsh,
That particular rendition you posted is exactly the one I was referring to.

jaybass

jaybass #65976 03/31/24 02:53 PM

joe, After my last post, I shut down my computer. The next morning when I thought I would boot up, I found that my computer had NOT shut down. Some message appeared giving some reason which I cannot recall...I should have took a screenshot.
Screenshots can be very helpful, but we cannot see them if they are on your computer. There are a number of websites where you can post images that can be seen by others, the most common being Imgur. The easiest way to use Imgur is by installing QuickImageUploader

I did download Etrecheck which gave me a comprehensive report. It read that there are orphaned files that could be removed, unsigned files which didn't advise to remove, System notifications running in the background ( their purpose?) Some kernel

extensions may not work in the future, and finally and the one I was most interested in...(4 files) Library/app/support/virtual box each containing the words "Oracle America" which I removed, which after shut down, stayed shut down. I'm enclosing a

screenshot of the original message. I hope you can read it?
No, we cannot read those files on your computer, but a word of explanation. Kernel extensions are dangerous because they run in the system area and can potentially bypass many of the protections built into macOS. On Sonoma, macOS 14, Apple came up with a means of allowing kernel extensions in the user area, thereby permitting their functionality while protecting the system from potential exploits and as a side benefit making extensions much easier to install. At the same time the older kernel extensions were blocked from execution. By removing the Oracle America extensions, you effectively disabled some app in your system that was dependent on them. Probably some "Cloud" related app.

--Walt Disney

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard