FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
start-up keeps looping
#65675 02/03/24 05:41 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

My son's OS is Mojave. when he restarts, the apple logo appears as normal buts stops short of the end and then keeps repeating itself. When he tries recovery, he gets the 4 options and choses reinstall but a message says he is not on the internet even though he can use his iPad & his TV.

When in recovery, there is an American flag in the top right corner. Any ideas anyone.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: start-up keeps looping
jaybass #65676 02/03/24 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
My son's OS is Mojave. when he restarts, the apple logo appears as normal buts stops short of the end and then keeps repeating itself. When he tries recovery, he gets the 4 options and choses reinstall but a message says he is not on the internet even though he can use his iPad & his TV.

When in recovery, there is an American flag in the top right corner. Any ideas anyone.

He must log onto the network from the recovery drive. While in the recovery drive, click at the top right corner of the screen (there is a network symbol there, but in my experience it is often too faint to see), then log into your local area network.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65686 02/06/24 04:32 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry for the delay in responding. My son lives 50 miles away. He tells me that he followed your advice but after clicking the symbol, he could not proceed any further. He cannot boot up from his HD. He again went into recover mode and selected reinstall his OS, he was told he needed 8.6
more GBs. Of course, he needs to delete some files to achieve that number which he cannot do because he cannot get online. I, (rightly or wrongly) suggested he delete his HD and reinstall. He has a 250GB thumb drive which he could put everything on without losing any files.`

Is my suggestion possible considering he cannot get online?

He phoned apple and they said to upgrade to Sonoma which he tried but again he was short a few GBs.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #65688 02/06/24 06:43 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. My son lives 50 miles away. He tells me that he followed your advice but after clicking the symbol, he could not proceed any further.
What happened when he clicked on the network symbol? Was he offered a network to join? What prevented him from going further?

He cannot boot up from his HD. He again went into recover mode and selected reinstall his OS, he was told he needed 8.6
more GBs. Of course, he needs to delete some files to achieve that number which he cannot do because he cannot get online. I, (rightly or wrongly) suggested he delete his HD and reinstall. He has a 250GB thumb drive which he could put everything on without losing any files.`

Is my suggestion possible considering he cannot get online?

He phoned apple and they said to upgrade to Sonoma which he tried but again he was short a few GBs.

1. Since there is no Finder and no Terminal on the Recovery Drive, how is he going to put anything on the thumb drive if he cannot boot the system?
  2. Does he have a backup of any sort?
  3. Is his system synched with iCloud?
  4. Does he have a bootable external drive?
  5. On the off chance the disk space issue is due to a file system error, one of the Recovery Drive options is Disk Utility. Running Disk Utility > First Aid cannot hurt and may solve the problem.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65689 02/06/24 10:11 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Unfortunately he doesn't have any of the items you mentioned. Question, if he erases the HD in disk utilities and then boots up using option command R, ( might give him the chance to upgrade his OS) would that erase his apps, docs etc?

BTW, he has applied first aid to his HD

jaybass

jaybass #65704 02/08/24 06:45 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. My son lives 50 miles away. He tells me that he followed your advice but after clicking the symbol, he could not proceed any further.
Originally Posted by joemikeb
What happened when he clicked on the network symbol? Was he offered a network to join? What prevented him from going further?

Unfortunately he doesn't have any of the items you mentioned. Question, if he erases the HD in disk utilities and then boots up using option command R, ( might give him the chance to upgrade his OS) would that erase his apps, docs etc?

BTW, he has applied first aid to his HD

• You cannot erase the drive you are booted from. The only way he can erase his HD is to boot the Recovery Drive and run Disk Utility from there.
  • No matter where you boot from, erasing his HD erases all applications, data, settings, the OS, everything.
  • After reinstalling the OS he will essentially be back to factory new.
  • In this situation, the most recent version of macOS that his computer is compatible with will be installed.
  • In order to perform the OS installation you must be able to connect to the internet.
  • I REPEAT...

WHAT HAPPENED WHEN HE CLICKED ON THE NETWORK SYMBOL? WAS HE OFFERED A NETWORK TO JOIN? WHAT PREVENTED HIM FROM GOING FURTHER? This is the easiest solution and may be easy to solve, but without further information, there is no way of knowing.

Failing that, there are other options, such as...
  1. Using a bootable thumb drive installer (this is relatively straightforward but he would still lose all of his data)
  2. Perform the installation using another computer (there is a potential here of saving his data and applications, but requires technical knowledge and perhaps some equipment. The Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store would have the highest possibility of success at this, but depending on the age of his computer, they may or may not be willing to work on it and it could be pricey.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65707 02/08/24 07:21 PM

This is kinda like invoking the ghost of Christmas past, and it's something that's been long gone from my vocabulary, let alone my tool chest, but i wonder if jaybass's son's situation can be addressed in any way in single-user mode?

It's been, literally, years since I've even heard the term, and I barely remember that it exists, let alone what can be done when booted into it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #65709 02/08/24 07:27 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

When speaking to apple, the reason he could not go further was when trying to download Sonoma, he was told that he was a few GBs short. There is no way he can delete some files to meet the shortage. Yesterday, he went to best buy where he bought his 2019 27" iMac and they said to bring it in and it would cost him about $100. Tonight, he is going to hook up his other computer and see if he can do anything as you suggested. I will keep you posted.

jaybass

jaybass #65711 02/08/24 07:35 PM

My memory is dim, but I'm pretty sure he can clear space from single-user mode, although it may require a major exercise of his memory.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #65728 02/13/24 07:58 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

joe,
We took t to a computer shop and he saved all the data and installed Catalina. Got it back the same day which was a surprise. How this guy did it, I don't know. Sorry I cannot pass on any useful information. My son took an external drive as required.

jaybass

jaybass #65729 02/13/24 11:24 PM

As I said, Option B had the highest probability of success!

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard