Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I pod touch for Audible?
kevs #65699 02/07/24 08:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes new apple ID is done, no brainer, great....... Last questions (confusing) all about Amazon...... post step #12..... use my amazon, create a new amazon on my computer, create a new amazon on the new ipad... or does not matter.
I would think, maybe create new amazon on the pad then no family.. But.... I'm open to whatever best idea

Last edited by kevs; 02/07/24 08:10 PM.
kevs #65701 02/07/24 11:56 PM

1. Your Amazon ID is valid on any browser on any device as long as you use the same logon ID and password.
  2. The Amazon app is not needed to access the Amazon account, any browser such as Safari will work.
  3. You can play Audible books through a browser, but the Audible app is far easier to use.
  4. By setting your mother up with her own Amazon account and her own Audible subscription, all that would be on her iPad would be the Audible app, and its userid and password.
  5. Don't conflate the Amazon or Audible account with the Apple family account. They are entirely separate entities. The Apple family account would allow her to install applications and even use your Apple Wallet, but you could retain approval authority for any financial transactions she makes!.

This gives maximum security and isolation with convenience and control.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65702 02/08/24 03:38 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, ok I think I see where we are going off the rails: Maybe it's my fault:

"The Apple family account would allow her to install applications and even use your Apple Wallet, bu"

Joe, she is 90 with Alzheimers. She has never used a computer. She has never typed on a computer. She does not know what Apple or an Apple Wallet or what an app is and has no interest. Probably does not know there is a company called Apple or Microsoft.

This whole idea is only for have something read with audio old classics like Great Expectations and Tale of Two Cities.

So: with that laid out: then you concur the best thing really for security and simplicity, is after the steps I've done to just now download the Audible app on her ipad (which we have made a unique apple ID and password.

And then see what happens, I actually don't know if we need to make a new amazon account, but if so then just do that on her unique ipad.. NO need or advantage, for my computer or my amazon to get involved.. or all the family share stuff.... If this was someone somewhat savvy, maybe that could make sense... You agree just be simpler, more organic, and cleaner, safter to have everything 100! new, original on the new apple ipad for mom? It'll be used only for one app and one narrow purpose.

kevs #65703 02/08/24 05:23 PM

In a word YES. In two words I CONCUR. In more words WHATEVER YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH.

I would like to add, God bless you for what you are doing and I hope it exceeds all of your expectations.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65705 02/08/24 06:47 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe you are best. Also curious, side thing, save a new thread. What think of the new stolen device protection? Is it worth the hassle? I actually don't understand whats new different or think overkill?... ipads and iphones, so guess could pertain here.

kevs #65708 02/08/24 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
thanks Joe you are best. Also curious, side thing, save a new thread. What think of the new stolen device protection? Is it worth the hassle? I actually don't understand whats new different or think overkill?... ipads and iphones, so guess could pertain here.

You will find a good description of the new features here. Apple recommends them for everyone, and I have turned them on. I can envision some situations where they could be an annoyance, but not often and given how dangerous the internet has become, the alternative could be far more than just annoying. So my reasoning is, why not turn them on. If they prove to be annoying, they can be turned off.

Did I mention stolen device protection is turned on by default when you install the iOS and iPadOS updates.

Last edited by joemikeb; 02/08/24 07:49 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65712 02/08/24 07:47 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe,

In your opinion, what are the annoying things to have it on, and what are the annoying things if it was not on. ANd why is the internet in the mix? Thanks

Last edited by kevs; 02/08/24 07:48 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard