FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GET for apps means it's free?
#63924 05/24/23 12:57 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Why do I think that if I see GET, the app is free? Because that is true for the initial app you get, but maybe the upgrade can cost. Or can something say get and not be free from start?

I was trying to find an app that records phone conversation that if free, but if scroll down seems they all have charges, or maybe that's just add on stuff don't need? Did not download to test. thanks.

Re: GET for apps means it's free?
kevs #63925 05/24/23 02:36 AM

From a quick look at the App Store, it looks to me like "GET" means free, "GET" with an "In-App Purchases" badge is obvious, and a $ amount where "GET" would be means the app is shareware.

You may be able to find out what the in-app purchase items are at the developer's website, but otherwise, you'll have to d/l your app - at no cost - and see what you've got in real time.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63932 05/25/23 03:54 AM

If you download an app that is GET an no mention is made of in-app purchases and there are additional charges, report it to the App Store. However there may be future or enhanced versions that are not free. In-app charges generally activate advanced or additional functions in the app you do not want or need but the basic functionality is available. I have run into a very few apps that asked for payment to continue working after a specified time but I believe those have mostly been eliminated by changes in the App Store itself, but you could run into an old app hat has not been updated or refreshed ant still has pay or expire built in. In any case, if it says Get and you find there is a hidden charge, you can quickly and easily delete the app and all you will lose is its functionality. Nothing will hit your credit card.

WARNING: I have run into several app-store apps that proved so useful that I willingly paid additional features I did not know I needed or wanted until I tried them in the app, and ended up willingly paying for the feature

Written from my stateroom on the riverboat Song approaching the Bonneville dam lock

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/25/23 03:57 AM. Reason: Location

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63935 05/25/23 07:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks ARtie, Joe.

Joe, saying if you see GET, all say GET correct? That initial download would be free unless you see $ the ask for money $ on that screen first glance? ie without having to dig in deep?

BTW you are are so good at this. Do you see an free app for recording phone conversations, or do you surmise all cost $ money.

Or maybe have to email developer ask.

kevs #63938 05/25/23 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
... if you see GET, all say GET correct? That initial download would be free unless you see $ the ask for money $ on that screen first glance? ie without having to dig in deep?
That's it. If it says "GET," the initial d/l SHOULD be free. If the initial d/l isn't free, there'll be a $ number where it otherwise says "GET."

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64001 06/07/23 11:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Final question forgot to follow up on:

is there a free app for recording a phone call and that finally and forgot to ask?

kevs #64002 06/08/23 12:39 AM

I just went through the list of call recording apps available from the App Store and all but one had in-app-purchases. The only review for the holdout basically said the app did not work and cut off in the middle of calls.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64003 06/08/23 01:42 AM

Any app with in-app purchases starts out free, so kevs will really have to go through them one by one to see if the basic free portions of any of them meet his needs.

joemikeb #64004 06/08/23 02:35 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe thanks, so bottom line this product is going be fee based. I'll probably pass, as it's kind of a high yearly rate for something that would be very rarely used if ever. But be nice to have on hand...

kevs #64012 06/08/23 04:08 PM

Not quite. Joe was saying that with in-app purchases you get a certain level of use for free. Perhaps that free level will meet your needs and you will know only if you download (for free) the app and check it out. Sometimes the description of the app in the App Store will describe what it can do and what you get with in-app purchases.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #64013 06/08/23 04:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira these apps for recording phone conversation, seem straight up monthly payment or do you think is a free option in there ( month in month out?)

kevs #64017 06/09/23 05:40 PM

Looking at how the descriptions in the App Store are presented, some of the recording apps clearly say that a subscription is required. Others do not tell you what you get or don't get with an in-app purchase.

You would need to download those that don't say subscription and see what they can do. Yes, probably a tedious chore given your limited use. But you might find the "diamond in the rough" that meets your needs for free. Depends on how much time you want to invest.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #64020 06/09/23 06:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira thanks, good answer... ugh...

You wish Apple would force this to be clear cut...

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard