Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: It's Ventura Time
joemikeb #62977 12/14/22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I find Autostarter a pleasure to use.
Autostarter's functionality is, indeed, a pleasure to have. I can't begin to imagine why Apple made it necessary.

DriveDx gave me fits until I figured out that its pref must be set to show "Only in Menu Bar."

If it's set for "Only in Dock" or "Dock and Menu Bar," Autostarter doesn't hide it on launch.

Which I guess means that Autostarter doesn't work as far as DriveDx goes. Perhaps because although it's a login item it's not included in System Settings > General > Login Items? (If so, it could portend a big headache down the road.)

Do your apps really launch in your preferred order? It's not mentioned as an Autostarter feature.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62979 12/15/22 12:13 AM
OP Online

DriveDX is not a login item per se. Neither is it a LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon. To the best of my knowledge its launch mechanism is unique. Embedded in the DriveDX application package there as an executable named DriveDXLoginItemHelper I suspect is the trigger, but I have no idea how it works or why it is launched in this unique manner. confused

As to the launch order, I really have no way of accurately determining the actual launch order, but there are breadcrumbs that lead me to believe it is working and has resolved a couple of minor launchtime annoyances.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62981 12/15/22 11:30 AM

DriveDX is not a login item per se. Neither is it a LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon. To the best of my knowledge its launch mechanism is unique. Embedded in the DriveDX application package there as an executable named DriveDXLoginItemHelper I suspect is the trigger, but I have no idea how it works or why it is launched in this unique manner. confused
As you've suggested, DriveDx doesn't appear in any of the locations you've mentioned, but it does place an item in System Settings > General > Login Items > Allow in the Background when its "Launch at Login" pref box is checked.

As to the launch order, I really have no way of accurately determining the actual launch order, but there are breadcrumbs that lead me to believe it is working and has resolved a couple of minor launchtime annoyances.
As an experiment, I added Mail, Safari Technology Preview, and Music to Autostarter, and they not only didn't launch in that precise order order, but the CPU activity involved in their "simultaneous" launch was such a drag on "getting going," that I deleted them and went back to individual hotkey launches. It's been many years - since either Jaguar or Panther - since I last tried that experiment, and my recent results are the same as I remember from back then.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62982 12/15/22 05:12 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
As you've suggested, DriveDx doesn't appear in any of the locations you've mentioned, but it does place an item in System Settings > General > Login Items > Allow in the Background when its "Launch at Login" pref box is checked.

Apparently merely installing the app does that. Autostarter is in there too.

As an experiment, I added Mail, Safari Technology Preview, and Music to Autostarter, and they not only didn't launch in that precise order order, but the CPU activity involved in their "simultaneous" launch was such a drag on "getting going," that I deleted them and went back to individual hotkey launches. It's been many years - since either Jaguar or Panther - since I last tried that experiment, and my recent results are the same as I remember from back then.

I currently have ten LaunchAgents, twenty-six LaunchDaemons, ten Launch Items (Autostart) The startup time on my Studio is short enough that I don't really notice it, except my database system sometimes launches before the RAID array the files are on completes mounting.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62996 12/17/22 09:46 AM

Apparently merely installing the app does that.
While I was futzing around with my DriveDx login options I noticed that the item had disappeared, so I paid attention, and I found that it reappeared when I checked the "Launch at Login" box. So there's part of the answer to the DriveDx login mystery.

I can't identify them, but I'm pretty sure that I've got other items that appeared as the result of some action I took after their apps were launched.

I currently have ten LaunchAgents, twenty-six LaunchDaemons, ten Launch Items (Autostart) The startup time on my Studio is short enough that I don't really notice it, except my database system sometimes launches before the RAID array the files are on completes mounting.
My 12 Agents/Daemons, load "graciously" behind the scenes, but when I put Mail, Safari, and Music in Autostarter, my CPU is still churning away and blocking progress when I could have already launched some app with a hotkey. Having everything hotkeyed facilitates launching, and, in my instance, actually makes autostarter counterproductive other than for login items that no longer hide.

artie505 #63000 12/17/22 08:49 PM
OP Online

My 12 Agents/Daemons, load "graciously" behind the scenes, but when I put Mail, Safari, and Music in Autostarter, my CPU is still churning away and blocking progress when I could have already launched some app with a hotkey. Having everything hotkeyed facilitates launching, and, in my instance, actually makes autostarter counterproductive other than for login items that no longer hide.

Did you notice Mail, Safari, and Music have one thing in common? They are all three dependent on internet access and responses from remote servers. Does that suggest a reason they are slow to launch?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63002 12/18/22 05:12 AM

Did you notice Mail, Safari, and Music have one thing in common? They are all three dependent on internet access and responses from remote servers. Does that suggest a reason they are slow to launch?
You got a point there, Judge!

artie505 #63293 02/03/23 04:30 PM

In case anyone here is affected: Bug in macOS Ventura is breaking some networks

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
joemikeb #63921 05/22/23 09:43 PM

MAYBE THE BEST FEATURE In theory, it isn't that much, but Stage Manager may be one of the biggest productivity features yet.
I just installed Ventura today and, to work my way through it, I figured I'd revisit this thread. You're right that Stage Manager is a great feature but, if memory serves, it's actually just giving back a function that Mac had a very long time ago. I recall being able to go the menu bar and click on a button that listed all the apps in use. You could scroll down and select the one you wanted now to use. I also recall being ticked off when it just disappeared with some OS upgrade.

However, I will admit that Stage Manager provides the function in a more elegant manner.

Last edited by ryck; 05/22/23 09:44 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #63922 05/22/23 10:48 PM
OP Online

Yes and Stage Manaqger also works in iPadOS 16 and effectively provides full multi-tasking on their iPad.

Sent from my stateroom on the riverboat Song on the Columbia River

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/22/23 10:50 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63923 05/22/23 10:59 PM

Sent from my stateroom on the riverboat Song on the Columbia River
Woo hoo!

I've been wondering where you've been.

ENJOY!!!

joemikeb #63926 05/24/23 05:07 PM

Joe,

You're in my backyard up here....where's your next port of call?

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard