FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FindAllFile Question
#63635 03/18/23 07:22 PM
OP Offline

This is a question I asked the developer of FindAnyFile:

I downloaded 4k Video Downloader and it didn’t work properly, so I want to delete it. I deleted all the files via FindAnyFile except the one shown this I get an error message and can’t delete it. I can’t find it in the Finder either. Any ideas what I can do?

This was his answer: Files inside the /private/var/db/ folder are managed and protected by macOS - you shouldn't worry about this, as they cannot cause any harm in that location. If you really need to remove such files, you need to boot into a separate macOS system, from which you can then delete such files.

Can you tell me what his last sentence means and how to do it?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: FindAllFile Question
plantsower #63638 03/18/23 08:23 PM

It means you must have two bootable volumes on your computer and be logged on to the second bootable volume in order to delete the file. It also means deleting the file could easily would probably render the volume unbootable and it would have to be reinstalled, and the advice you received to leave it alone is sound. (Personally I would never attempt deleting such a file (unless I suddenly developed an irresistable compulsion to erase and reinstall the system from scratch. shocked ).

AFTER THOUGHT: If you have a few hours to spare and and a coupe of spare drives, I have thought of safe way of deleting the file that might work. But it will take several steps and each step will take some time to accomplish, and in the end might not work., but it would reduce the risk. If you are determined I can outline the process.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/18/23 08:32 PM. Reason: Afterthought

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63641 03/18/23 08:44 PM
OP Offline

LOL! OK, you actually convinced me to NOT do that. I can be a little finicky and detail oriented about things, but I know good advice when I see it. Thanks, Joe.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
It means you must have two bootable volumes on your computer and be logged on to the second bootable volume in order to delete the file. It also means deleting the file could easily would probably render the volume unbootable and it would have to be reinstalled, and the advice you received to leave it alone is sound. (Personally I would never attempt deleting such a file (unless I suddenly developed an irresistable compulsion to erase and reinstall the system from scratch. shocked ).

AFTER THOUGHT: If you have a few hours to spare and and a coupe of spare drives, I have thought of safe way of deleting the file that might work. But it will take several steps and each step will take some time to accomplish, and in the end might not work., but it would reduce the risk. If you are determined I can outline the process.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

1 member likes this: joemikeb
joemikeb #63644 03/19/23 11:30 AM

It means you must have two bootable volumes on your computer and be logged on to the second bootable volume in order to delete the file.
Shades of booting into OS 9 to delete stuff from early versions of OS X!

It also means deleting the file could easily would probably render the volume unbootable and it would have to be reinstalled, and the advice you received to leave it alone is sound. (Personally I would never attempt deleting such a file (unless I suddenly developed an irresistable compulsion to erase and reinstall the system from scratch.
I've had a couple of exchanges with FAF's dev, and I've found him to be extremely conservative about stuff like this, his attitude (wisely) being "if you need to ask, I'm not going to empower you."

I run FAF in root mode by default, and although I'm certain that Rita's recalcitrant file can be deleted by root user, Thomas would never put that in writing.

PS: When I trash an app, I delete every file it's planted, regardless of its location in my OS, and I've never run into an issue.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63646 03/19/23 05:30 PM
OP Offline

What is root mode? I keep hearing the word "root" but never understood. Is it an easy process? If so, I would like to remove that stubborn little file. If not, I will just leave it. Or is root user an app I probably don't want to pay for?

I run FAF in root mode by default, and although I'm certain that Rita's recalcitrant file can be deleted by root user, Thomas would never put that in writing.

PS: When I trash an app, I delete every file it's planted, regardless of its location in my OS, and I've never run into an issue. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63647 03/19/23 05:36 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by plantsower
What is root mode? I keep hearing the word "root" but never understood. Is it an easy process? If so, I would like to remove that stubborn little file. If not, I will just leave it. Or is root user an app I probably don't want to pay for?

Addendum: Looked it up and it's not worth the trouble in my mind unless it was giving me trouble which I wouldn't know anyway. Root Info

PS: When I trash an app, I delete every file it's planted, regardless of its location in my OS, and I've never run into an issue.
[/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63648 03/19/23 06:14 PM

What is root mode? I keep hearing the word "root" but never understood. Is it an easy process? If so, I would like to remove that stubborn little file.
This Apple doc explains root user. If the FAF trick works, forget about it until the next time you need to ask for help!

Do your search again, but this time press "Option" first, and "Find" will change to "Find All." (If you don't run in dark mode, your screen should turn dark.)

Then try to delete your file.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63649 03/19/23 07:06 PM

Basically, FAF enables you as root user for just this one particular operation.

artie505 #63650 03/19/23 07:18 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, well I still don't get it because I don't get the idea of "root." It's okay. It probably won't hurt my Mac. Thanks, Artie.

Originally Posted by artie505
Basically, FAF enables you as root user for just this one particular operation.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63651 03/19/23 07:43 PM

Yeah, well I still don't get it because I don't get the idea of "root." It's okay. It probably won't hurt my Mac.
The version of macOS we see has got built-in controls that prevent us from doing stuff on a lark that we shouldn't be doing. Root is a version of macOS that isn't bound by those controls. (To put in the vernacular, root user has got a "00" code number, and much like James Bond has a license to kill.)

I don't see why you're reluctant to simply press an extra key in FAF. It's not like you need to enable root, and you're generally experimental.

artie505 #63653 03/19/23 09:38 PM
OP Offline

I am willing to "press any key" as long as I know which key. Not sure what you're talking about. I don't have enough details to know what to do. It sounded complicated.

I don't see why you're reluctant to simply press an extra key in FAF. It's not like you need to enable root, and you're generally experimental. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63654 03/19/23 10:06 PM

I am willing to "press any key" as long as I know which key. Not sure what you're talking about. I don't have enough details to know what to do. It sounded complicated.
Wow, you're tough! I thought I've been explicit at least twice, but obviously not. frown

Launch FAF, type in your search term ("4kvideo" and "4k video" yield different results), press "Option" ("Find" will change to "Find All"), press "Find All."

artie505 #63655 03/20/23 01:11 AM
OP Offline

Wow, you're tough! I thought I've been explicit at least twice, but obviously not. frown

I must have missed your post somehow because this is very straight forward. I tried it with 4kvideo and 4k video and got the same result both times: "Operation failed. Some items are locked or require permissions."

Launch FAF, type in your search term ("4kvideo" and "4k video" yield different results), press "Option" ("Find" will change to "Find All"), press "Find All."

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63656 03/20/23 10:31 AM

I must have missed your post somehow because this is very straight forward. I tried it with 4kvideo and 4k video and got the same result both times: "Operation failed. Some items are locked or require permissions."
That surprises me, but at least we've now covered all bases. Since you've tried and failed as root, I guess the file is locked.

Have you tried "Retry?"

Have you done a "Get Info" on the file to see if you can unlock it?

(See https://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=63648#Post63648)

artie505 #63657 03/20/23 11:21 AM

Forgot to mention that I d/l'ed 4k Video to see if I could duplicate your experience and play with it, but merely launching the app wasn't enough to generate your file.

artie505 #63659 03/20/23 04:31 PM
OP Offline

Forgot to mention that I d/l'ed 4k Video to see if I could duplicate your experience and play with it, but merely launching the app wasn't enough to generate your file.

Did you delete it using FAF and they all disappeared?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63660 03/20/23 04:37 PM
OP Offline

I just now tried it cause you mentioned it. Retry brought just the same error message. Get Info told me I didn't have permission to change to read and write.

That surprises me, but at least we've now covered all bases. Since you've tried and failed as root, I guess the file is locked.

Have you tried "Retry?"

Have you done a "Get Info" on the file to see if you can unlock it?

(See https://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=63648#Post63648)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63662 03/21/23 05:08 AM

Did you delete it using FAF and they all disappeared?
I never duplicated your file. Just launching the app wasn't enough to turn the trick.

plantsower #63663 03/21/23 05:13 AM

I just now tried it cause you mentioned it. Retry brought just the same error message. Get Info told me I didn't have permission to change to read and write.
Thinking back, I've got an eery suspicion that I saw your pop-up a looong time ago and deleted the file from a different volume.

Since your clone is in all likelihood non-bootable, your probably stuck, unless you want to go through joemike's lengthy procedure.

For the heck of it, I'd be inclined to email the dev and ask "What," "Why," and "How do I get rid of it?"

artie505 #63668 03/21/23 07:43 PM
OP Offline

I already posted what he said above. Here you go: Files inside the /private/var/db/ folder are managed and protected by macOS - you shouldn't worry about this, as they cannot cause any harm in that location. If you really need to remove such files, you need to boot into a separate macOS system, from which you can then delete such files.

For the heck of it, I'd be inclined to email the dev and ask "What," "Why," and "How do I get rid of it?" [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard