for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FBI Escalates the Ad Blocker Threat
#63595 03/11/23 05:36 PM
OP Offline

Last edited by cyn; 03/11/23 07:58 PM. Reason: moved from Networking to the Lounge

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: FBI Escalates the Ad Blocker Threat
joemikeb #63596 03/11/23 05:47 PM

It doesn't seem to be any sort of new wrinkle, or did I not read far enough?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63597 03/11/23 06:41 PM
OP Offline

No new wrinkle per se rather it is the fact the situation has reached a level where a federal agency, the FBI, has issued a warning and that warning has a significant negative impact on legitimate as well as fraudulent advertisers.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63599 03/11/23 08:09 PM

I don't read all that much, but from years of skimming, it seems to me that it may be more like the FBI has been remiss in not having "front paged" the problem long ago.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63600 03/12/23 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
....it seems to me that it may be more like the FBI has been remiss in not having "front paged" the problem long ago.
Maybe, but the FBI may be "front paging" now because so many companies have stopped doing the job themselves and have handed it all over to the FBI.

With bogus emails and phishing attempts that are constructed to look like legitimate companies, I have always forwarded the emails to "Report Phishing" links that the companies had. To make their job easier, I would also provide all the Header information. However, I am now finding that more and more companies are not bothering to investigate cases where they are impersonated. They no longer have the reporting links but instead advise: "Tell it to the Feds".

Perhaps the workload foisted onto the FBI has now become onerous and they are trying to reduce it by having people learn to look out for themselves.

Last edited by ryck; 03/12/23 03:20 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #63602 03/12/23 05:14 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
I don't read all that much, but from years of skimming, it seems to me that it may be more like the FBI has been remiss in not having "front paged" the problem long ago.

Yes it has been going on for years, but in most cases it was not too difficult to spot the fakes for anyone at least marginally alert. Some of the stuff floating around these days is good enough to fool anyone other than the developer of the original and worse than that, the bogus stuff is finding its way into the legitimate advertising networks.

Originally Posted by ryck
Maybe, but the FBI may be "front paging" now because so many companies have stopped doing the job themselves and have handed it all over to the FBI.

The companies for the most part are constrained by international borders and any hope of control and/or enforcement of standards requires international standing. As an agency of the United States government, the FBI has the standing to at least encourage not-so friendly nation-states to enforce international standards of conduct.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63603 03/13/23 02:57 PM

Not sure how this qualifies as an "Ad Blocker Threat". Quite the contrary: the advisory recommends using an Ad Blocker under Tips to Protect Yourself.

I don't see any ads that I don't actually seek out (and check out).

I also use uBlock Origin and am glad I do.

Every time I use a system which doesn't have an ad blocker installed, I see so many ads that it would give me a migraine (if I were prone to such) — I spend so much time hitting the [X] on ads that I usually give up on the sites which foster them.

grelber #63604 03/13/23 09:50 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by grelber
I don't see any ads that I don't actually seek out (and check out).

And how do you seek them out? The point the FBI is making and is easy to overlook is...

Originally Posted by FBI
When a user searches for that business or service, these advertisements appear at the very top of search results with minimum distinction between an advertisement and an actual search result. These advertisements link to a webpage that looks identical to the impersonated business’s official webpage.

Emphasis added

This is not what we get foisted on us when visiting a known web site, it is what shows up at the top of the search engine listings along with the legitimate sites that have paid Google Et al. for placement at or near the top of the listings or in the sidebar. Which raises a host of other questions about how the fraudulent ads get included.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63605 03/14/23 02:46 PM

As noted, I check them out. I don't willy-nilly click on anything that shows up unless its patently legitimate.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard