for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Battery Schedule
#63511 02/25/23 05:38 PM
OP Offline

Once again Apple has removed something I really depended on. It is the ability to schedule the Mac to go to sleep and wake up at certain times. I used it to listen to certain channels on YouTube while falling asleep. I have an iPhone but I find it difficult to use other than phone calls, texts, music apps and a couple of other apps.

I read where there is a terminal function that has to be used to be able to do it now. I'd really like to bonk someone on the head for this. Here I've been told to beware of using terminal, so now what do I do? This is what I read in I think Apple Support forums:

In the Terminal app on your Mac, enter a pmset command. See the pmset man page for the list of commands you can use. For example, try any of the following:

pmset -g sched: See the current schedule.

sudo pmset repeat wake M 8:00:00: Schedule your Mac to wake at 8:00 a.m. every Monday.

sudo pmset repeat cancel: Cancel the current schedule.

Press Return.

I don't get any of this of course. I just want it to go to sleep at a certain time, and either wake up on command or I can just do it when I get onto the Mac for the day. I tried to find an app to do this but was unsuccessful. I need a simple way to put the Mac to sleep a couple of hours after I go to bed. Is this even possible without Terminal? And if not, what command should I use? So mad. And why aren't any of the icons working here? I wanted to post the mad one but after choosing it, nothing happens.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Battery Schedule
plantsower #63512 02/25/23 05:54 PM

As I recall, TinkerToolSystem 8 has an easy way to do this.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #63516 02/25/23 06:25 PM
OP Offline

I just tried it with the free version and couldn't find anything like that. I am asking the TinkerTool people to send me a screen shot so I will know what to do if I do purchase Tinker Tool System 8. Thanks, Jon.

Originally Posted by jchuzi

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63517 02/25/23 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I just tried it with the free version and couldn't find anything like that. I am asking the TinkerTool people to send me a screen shot so I will know what to do if I do purchase Tinker Tool System 8. Thanks, Jon.

FREE TinkerTool does't include the functionality you're looking for. It's in TinkerTool System (which was $8.50 last time I looked), in the "Power Schedule" tab.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63518 02/25/23 07:56 PM
OP Offline

Good to know. I may have to get it. I can't figure out the Terminal Commands.[color:#3366FF][/color]

[/quote]
FREE TinkerTool does't include the functionality you're looking for. It's in TinkerTool System (which was $8.50 last time I looked), in the "Power Schedule" tab. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63519 02/25/23 08:45 PM

I can't figure out the Terminal Commands.
Can't fault you for that!

For starters, the instructions s/h/b posted with bold commands and plain descriptions. The all bold thing is confusing/misleading, and the commands are merely examples of what you can do, not a roadmap.

Doing your job in Terminal is beyond your - mine and most others too - capability. It's for a UNIX maven.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63520 02/25/23 08:57 PM
OP Offline

I used to be able to copy and paste terminal commands for simple things. I wish I could find a copy and paste command for putting my Mac to sleep by 1:00 a.m. every day of the week. I'm sure there is one some place. But should I want to change it, I wouldn't know what to do after that. I actually looked at Automator because I've never really known what it does, but it looks like it's just for work flow, not commands like I need.

Originally Posted by artie505
I can't figure out the Terminal Commands.
Can't fault you for that!

For starters, the instructions s/h/b posted with bold commands and plain descriptions. The all bold thing is confusing/misleading, and the commands are merely examples of what you can do, not a roadmap.

Doing your job in Terminal is beyond your - mine and most others too - capability. It's for a UNIX maven.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63521 02/25/23 08:59 PM
OP Offline

Tinker Tool is $17.00 if you just buy one license.

Good to know. I may have to get it. I can't figure out the Terminal Commands.[color:#3366FF][/color]

FREE TinkerTool does't include the functionality you're looking for. It's in TinkerTool System (which was $8.50 last time I looked), in the "Power Schedule" tab. [/quote] [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63534 02/26/23 01:26 PM

Sorry, my mistake. I got $8.50 from looking at my receipt, but I looked at the receipt for the 50% off upgrade.

artie505 #63541 02/26/23 06:17 PM
OP Offline

No problem. I probably won't get it because Terminal did the trick. All the other stuff Tinker Tool does, from what I've looked at, I wouldn't use it for anyway.

Sorry, my mistake. I got $8.50 from looking at my receipt, but I looked at the receipt for the 50% off upgrade.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63545 02/26/23 07:14 PM

No problem. I probably won't get it because Terminal did the trick. All the other stuff Tinker Tool does, from what I've looked at, I wouldn't use it for anyway.

"All the other stuff" could save your neck some day, but you can buy it on the spot.

The thing it does that I thought you might want is enables you to set multiple alerts, which you can't do in Terminal.

artie505 #63547 02/26/23 08:41 PM
OP Offline

Oh, for Calendar. Right. It decided to work so for now I won't need it. I didn't think of Tinker Tool for that. I did read what it does and I still don't get the verbiage so that's why I skipped it. I got a nice email from Marcel from TinkerTool trying to explain things to me: I still worry it would be beyond me.

Thank you very much for your interest in TinkerTools products and
your technical question.

TinkerTool is always free and there is no paid version.

However, you may be referring to our application "TinkerTool System"
which can be connected with TinkerTool, but is actually something very
different.

TinkerTool is an application to get access to the "pro" preference
settings that are included in macOS.

TinkerTool System is an application to perform advanced administration
tasks on Macintosh computers.

The feature to work with power scheduling has not been removed in
macOS Ventura. Apple only removed the graphical user interface in
System Settings.

If you like to get the graphical user interface back, you can indeed
use the application TinkerTool System 8 which can provide the same and
even more options.

You can simply download and test TinkerTool System 8. Like most of our
applications, it is offered under "Try before Buy" conditions:
https://www.bresink.com/osx/301031383/download.php

A very detailed reference manual is included. It is additionally available
on the Internet ( https://www.bresink.com/osx/301031383/Docs-en/index.html )
and as printable version on the download page. Screenshots are available
here: https://www.bresink.com/osx/301031383/screenshots.html

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,
Marcel Bresink

The thing it does that I thought you might want is enables you to set multiple alerts, which you can't do in Terminal. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63548 02/27/23 01:10 PM

Nice responsive reply. I find European devs to be pretty good in that sense.

artie505 #63551 02/27/23 05:54 PM

This may not be necessary, but extra info may be helpful to some: How to shut down & start up automatically in macOS Ventura I'm not able to use Ventura but if I could, I would buy TinkerToolSystem instead of using Terminal. (I currently have the version of TTS for Big Sur but have never used it.)

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #63552 02/27/23 06:12 PM
OP Offline

Hi Jon: I am afraid I might never use TinkerTool either. The wording just confuses me. I actually did use the terminal command and it worked perfectly to put my Mac to sleep the same time every night. I am happy with that. I know they say using Terminal can be dangerous, but this turned out to be benign and I am glad I found the command. There are other things Terminal can do that I wouldn't touch. Thanks for the link.

This may not be necessary, but extra info may be helpful to some: How to shut down & start up automatically in macOS Ventura I'm not able to use Ventura but if I could, I would buy TinkerToolSystem instead of using Terminal. (I currently have the version of TTS for Big Sur but have never used it.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #63553 02/27/23 07:04 PM

MacPilot ($1.93 a month billed annually) also has a Stop/Start GUI along with over a thousand other hidden configuration items, along with an option to reset everything back to factory settings.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63555 02/27/23 07:35 PM
OP Offline

Something to think about. Is it easy for a "beginner" to understand? I feel like a beginner because I just don't understand what's being said in these apps. It's like I'm behind with knowledge when it comes to trying to figure some things out. Real techy people just don't seem to know how to talk to the average nontechnical person.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
MacPilot ($1.93 a month billed annually) also has a Stop/Start GUI along with over a thousand other hidden configuration items, along with an option to reset everything back to factory settings.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63559 03/01/23 03:03 AM

There are two levels in MacPilot; the top level is basically clicking on icons, the detailed level has verbal description of the options and a LOT more options and in most cases shows the actual terminal command it will use.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63560 03/01/23 03:25 AM
OP Offline

OK, thank you.

There are two levels in MacPilot; the top level is basically clicking on icons, the detailed level has verbal description of the options and a LOT more options and in most cases shows the actual terminal command it will use.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63561 03/01/23 10:31 PM

Something to think about. Is it easy for a "beginner" to understand? I feel like a beginner because I just don't understand what's being said in these apps. It's like I'm behind with knowledge when it comes to trying to figure some things out. Real techy people just don't seem to know how to talk to the average nontechnical person.

Rita, you have touched on a major issue in software development and support. It is a matter of vocabulary and context. Take for example: I am typing this in a Safari Technology Preview window on the desktop displayed on the monitor sitting on my desktop near the window that looks out on the driveway. This is the result of the penchant in the English language for re-using names to describe different and often only vaguely related things. In the "techie" world, this is further aggravated by the use of a common name in different disciplines to mean extremely diverse things and the fact we are not disciplined to be more specific by using phrases instead of names such as "monitor-screen-desktop" or Safari-application window. I know that I would not use an app with menu options that ran into paragraphs to describe.

Regarding the two apps that have been discussed Tinkertool System and MacPilot (I can't speak for MacPilot (Lite) as I have never used it). Tinkertool System was written as an adjunct to Marcel Bresink's very popular freeware Tinkertool to provide GUI (Graphical User Interface) access to some semi-pro command line functions. MacPilot is a newer product that apparently started with the premise there are actually hundreds of hidden, even non-published, macOS and macOS application configuration options. I have used both since they began and while Tinkertool and Tinkertool System have evolved to meet changes in macOS, but they are eessentially the same product they have always been and targeting the same user group. MacPilot started with the idea of finding all of the [i]hidden[/], configuration items that were not available in the GUI and over the years as evolved to the point they now have not only the basic configuration options but also the advanced complete with expanded descriptions as well as the actual terminal commands and a rich set of tools.

NOTE: AS WITH ANY APP THAT USES COMMAND LINE TOOLS IT IS ESSENTIAL YOU USE A VERSION THAT IS SPECIFIC TO THE MACOS VERSION YOU ARE RUNNING IT ON. THE WRONG VERSION COULD CAUSE DAMAGE.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Koingo Software, the publisher of macPilot, or Marcel Bresink, the developer of Tinkertool System other than that of a satisfied customer of both.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/01/23 10:39 PM. Reason: Add Note

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63562 03/01/23 11:30 PM
OP Offline

Thank you for the explanation.

Rita, you have touched on a major issue in software development and support. It is a matter of vocabulary and context. Take for example: I am typing this in a Safari Technology Preview window on the desktop displayed on the monitor sitting on my desktop near the window that looks out on the driveway. This is the result of the penchant in the English language for re-using names to describe different and often only vaguely related things. In the "techie" world, this is further aggravated by the use of a common name in different disciplines to mean extremely diverse things and the fact we are not disciplined to be more specific by using phrases instead of names such as "monitor-screen-desktop" or Safari-application window. I know that I would not use an app with menu options that ran into paragraphs to describe.

Regarding the two apps that have been discussed Tinkertool System and MacPilot (I can't speak for MacPilot (Lite) as I have never used it). Tinkertool System was written as an adjunct to Marcel Bresink's very popular freeware Tinkertool to provide GUI (Graphical User Interface) access to some semi-pro command line functions. MacPilot is a newer product that apparently started with the premise there are actually hundreds of hidden, even non-published, macOS and macOS application configuration options. I have used both since they began and while Tinkertool and Tinkertool System have evolved to meet changes in macOS, but they are eessentially the same product they have always been and targeting the same user group. MacPilot started with the idea of finding all of the [i]hidden[/], configuration items that were not available in the GUI and over the years as evolved to the point they now have not only the basic configuration options but also the advanced complete with expanded descriptions as well as the actual terminal commands and a rich set of tools.

NOTE: AS WITH ANY APP THAT USES COMMAND LINE TOOLS IT IS ESSENTIAL YOU USE A VERSION THAT IS SPECIFIC TO THE MACOS VERSION YOU ARE RUNNING IT ON. THE WRONG VERSION COULD CAUSE DAMAGE.

DISCLAIMER: I have no relationship, pecuniary or otherwise, with Koingo Software, the publisher of macPilot, or Marcel Bresink, the developer of Tinkertool System other than that of a satisfied customer of both.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard