for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I need a Terminal Expert
#63524 02/25/23 11:57 PM
OP Offline

I finally found a terminal command that is supposed to put my MacBook to sleep at the time I want it to everyday.

It's: sudo pmset repeat shutdown MTWRFSU 01:00:00

If I want to undo this or change it because I need a change or because this didn't work, how do I do that?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: I need a Terminal Expert
plantsower #63525 02/26/23 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I finally found a terminal command that is supposed to put my MacBook to sleep at the time I want it to everyday.

If I want to undo this or change it because I need a change or because this didn't work, how do I do that?

Thanks.
I'm not your expert, but I'll note that "shutdown" is not the same as "sleep."

I just looked at the pmset man page, and - and this assumes that your command is correct - it looks like you can undo your command by changing the time to "0" (no quotes) or change its schedule by changing or eliminating days. And you may also want to change "shutdown" to "sleep."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63526 02/26/23 04:29 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505

Thanks.
I'm not your expert, but I'll note that "shutdown" is not the same as "sleep." I didn't notice it said shut down so I will change it to sleep.

I just looked at the pmset man page, and - and this assumes that your command is correct - it looks like you can undo your command by changing the time to "0" (no quotes) or change its schedule by changing or eliminating days. And you may also want to change "shutdown" to "sleep."
My question is how do I find my terminal command to undo it in the future? Does this sound right? I found it online. You can check to see what commands are in your history at any time by running the history command. When you type history and press Return, Terminal displays a list of the commands in the history list.

Last edited by plantsower; 02/26/23 04:39 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63527 02/26/23 05:33 AM

My question is how do I find my terminal command to undo it in the future? Does this sound right? I found it online. You can check to see what commands are in your history at any time by running the history command. When you type history and press Return, Terminal displays a list of the commands in the history list.
You don't have to go back to your original command entry to change it. You just retype the command with new parameters.

I ran "history," but it didn't give me a complete history, only items "201 - 216," but with no time frame.

You can also call up past entries by launching Terminal and hitting the up arrow, but it can be awful tedious.

By the way, you need to be awful confident of your sources if you're going to run commands you found with a Google search.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63528 02/26/23 05:43 AM
OP Offline

I'm not confident at all, that's why I asked for help. But the command I might put in tonight seems like it wouldn't hurt anything. Hope I'm right. I'm not trying to delete files or anything.

By the way, you need to be awful confident of your sources if you're going to run commands you found with a Google search. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63529 02/26/23 06:12 AM

Tonight's command looks good to me.

artie505 #63530 02/26/23 06:14 AM
OP Offline

Good because I took a chance and did it. I'll try to remember to keep you in the loop!

Tonight's command looks good to me.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63531 02/26/23 06:48 AM

Good because I took a chance and did it. I'll try to remember to keep you in the loop!
If we don't hear within a week that the command has failed, we'll know that it worked.

By the way, I don't know if there's a way to set multiple events iin Terminal, but I know you can do it in TinkerTool System.

plantsower #63532 02/26/23 12:33 PM

[quote=artie505][quote=plantsower]I finally found a terminal command that is supposed to put my MacBook to sleep at the time I want it to everyday.

Thanks.

I'm not your expert either, but the suggestion to re-enter that command changing parameters is on target. However, I suspect that the bolded text would be the parameter to change if you want to CANCEL the action. I'd bet it's either that or the days of the week.

Gregg #63533 02/26/23 01:07 PM

Both wrong!

I did a lousy job of reading the man pmset page. ("0" is the correct answer in some situations, but not this one.)

According to Apple: sudo pmset repeat cancel: Cancel the current schedule.

Ha!!! I just looked at Rita's initial post, and it includes the "cancel" command. (It's actually a marked-up copy of Apple's instructions...and should have been noted as such.)

artie505 #63540 02/26/23 06:12 PM
OP Offline

IT WORKED!! If you didn't hear from me in a week that means I really screwed up my computer!

If we don't hear within a week that the command has failed, we'll know that it worked.

By the way, I don't know if there's a way to set multiple events iin Terminal, but I know you can do it in TinkerTool System.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63543 02/26/23 07:03 PM

IT WORKED!! If you didn't hear from me in a week that means I really screwed up my computer!
smile

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard