FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calendar Alert Events
#63478 02/20/23 07:47 PM
OP Offline

I have calendar alerts that I use all the time. But for some reason when they pop up to remind me of something there is a long list of the same item. The example shows 3 repeat items to check my car fluids, but some of them show 10 or 20. Is there a way to prevent this? It seems to silly. Calendar Events

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Calendar Alert Events
plantsower #63479 02/21/23 04:33 PM

It looks like three alerts are set for that one. Can you change two to “None”?

Gregg #63480 02/21/23 05:43 PM
OP Offline

I just want it to alert me once every so often, in this case once a month, but I don't need a long list of the same alert. If I put "none" I wouldn't get an alert.

Originally Posted by Gregg
It looks like three alerts are set for that one. Can you change two to “None”?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63482 02/21/23 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I just want it to alert me once every so often, in this case once a month, but I don't need a long list of the same alert. If I put "none" I wouldn't get an alert.

I have seen something similar in the past, but i never found out how it got started, but after diligently deleting the extra alerts for a while, they quit appearing when creating a new event. confused
If I am understanding correctly, you want to create an event that repeats every month. Using Calendar Events...
  1. Click on the Plus sign (+) near the top left of the Calendar Window This appears Fill in the name, date of the first event, and time if desired.
  2. Click on Add, alert, Repeat, or Travel Time
  3. click on Repeat
  4. Select Every Month on the popup menu
  5. click on Alert
  6. Select At time of event
  7. If for any reason when you create the event there are multiple Alerts listed, simply select none for each of the others and they will automatically be deleted when you save the event and will not appear if you look at the event on future dates.
  8. Press Return

Be sure that in System Settings > Notifications > Calendar you have chosen Alerts and each month at the appointed time on the appointed date the alert will appear at the top right corner of your screen and remain there until you dismiss it.

NOTE: One of the reasons I switched from Calendar to [ul=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-calendar/id975937182?mt=12]Fantastical[/url] is because Fantastical has its own internal Reminder system that appears as checklist items on the calendar date.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63483 02/21/23 10:43 PM
OP Offline

[*]Click on the Plus sign (+) near the top left of the Calendar Window This appears That didn't actually appear when I clicked on the + sign. This is what showed up. That's fine. I double clicked on the date to start the alerts like I usually do.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63484 02/22/23 01:54 PM

I'll try again.

Your screen shot seems to list three alerts.

Can you change two of them to "None" leaving only one alert set?

I did not suggest that you change all Alerts to "None".

Gregg #63485 02/22/23 07:58 PM
OP Offline

Yes, that one only had 3 alerts. Others have many, many alerts. I have been doing the "none" thing now and will see how it works. I also have several alerts that are not showing up at all. Calendar seems to be wonky at times.

Originally Posted by Gregg
I'll try again.

Your screen shot seems to list three alerts.

Can you change two of them to "None" leaving only one alert set?

I did not suggest that you change all Alerts to "None".

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #63486 02/22/23 08:18 PM
OP Offline

Joe: I downloaded Fantastical and it asked for access to my calendar. I gave access because I thought it would automatically take all my alerts from my calendar and add them to their calendar. That didn't happen. Why do they need access? Now I have to add everything in again.

Originally Posted by joemikeb

I have seen something similar in the past, but i never found out how it got started, but after diligently deleting the extra alerts for a while, they quit appearing when creating a new event. confused
If I am understanding correctly, you want to create an event that repeats every month. Using Calendar Events...
  1. Click on the Plus sign (+) near the top left of the Calendar Window This appears Fill in the name, date of the first event, and time if desired.
  2. Click on Add, alert, Repeat, or Travel Time
  3. click on Repeat
  4. Select Every Month on the popup menu
  5. click on Alert
  6. Select At time of event
  7. If for any reason when you create the event there are multiple Alerts listed, simply select none for each of the others and they will automatically be deleted when you save the event and will not appear if you look at the event on future dates.
  8. Press Return

Be sure that in System Settings > Notifications > Calendar you have chosen Alerts and each month at the appointed time on the appointed date the alert will appear at the top right corner of your screen and remain there until you dismiss it.

NOTE: One of the reasons I switched from Calendar to [ul=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-calendar/id975937182?mt=12]Fantastical[/url] is because Fantastical has its own internal Reminder system that appears as checklist items on the calendar date.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63488 02/24/23 12:11 AM

Joe: I downloaded Fantastical and it asked for access to my calendar. I gave access because I thought it would automatically take all my alerts from my calendar and add them to their calendar. That didn't happen. Why do they need access? Now I have to add everything in again.

I converted to Fantastical about a year ago and to the best of my recollection, all of the appointments events etc. transferred automatically.

VOILÀ! I just found the answer, but you may not like it. The Calendar app and Fantastical can [i]subscribe[/] to almost any calendar shared calendar such as Google, Microsoft, and tens, if not hundreds of thousands, work and business team specific calendars. This includes your nemesis iCloud. I don't recall having ever specifically subscribed to an iCloud calendar (that would have occured decades ago,or in Fantastical, but when I looked in Calendar > Settings > and Fantastical > Settings > Accounts, both are subscribed to the same iCloud calendar set.

THE GOOD NEWS Subscribing to the iCloud allows fantastical on your desktop and iPhone to remain tightly synched with your laptop or you can directly link you local copy as well

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63489 02/24/23 03:23 AM
OP Offline

OK, thanks for the heads up. It also looks free on the App store but it's not. Only a trial run. I wish I had known the ahead of time.

I converted to Fantastical about a year ago and to the best of my recollection, all of the appointments events etc. transferred automatically.

VOILÀ! I just found the answer, but you may not like it. The Calendar app and Fantastical can [i]subscribe[/] to almost any calendar shared calendar such as Google, Microsoft, and tens, if not hundreds of thousands, work and business team specific calendars. This includes your nemesis iCloud. I don't recall having ever specifically subscribed to an iCloud calendar (that would have occured decades ago,or in Fantastical, but when I looked in Calendar > Settings > and Fantastical > Settings > Accounts, both are subscribed to the same iCloud calendar set.

THE GOOD NEWS Subscribing to the iCloud allows fantastical on your desktop and iPhone to remain tightly synched with your laptop or you can directly link you local copy as well

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #63497 02/24/23 11:24 PM
OP Offline

My calendar has decided to work now. I have decided to get rid of Fantastical because it's not really free and they don't answer my questions. Anyway, I tried using FindAnyFiles and got this message. Would it be dangerous to say "YES" to delete? I don't know what root files are or if it's dangerous to get rid of something in a root file.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63498 02/25/23 04:36 AM

My calendar has decided to work now. I have decided to get rid of Fantastical because it's not really free and they don't answer my questions. Anyway, I tried using FindAnyFiles and got this message. Would it be dangerous to say "YES" to delete? I don't know what root files are or if it's dangerous to get rid of something in a root file.
Anything Find Any File found in a search for Fantastical can be trashed with no problem.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63499 02/25/23 04:37 AM
OP Offline

Even though the warning? It kinda scared me.

Originally Posted by artie505
Anything Find Any File found in a search for Fantastical can be trashed with no problem.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63500 02/25/23 04:41 AM

Apps place files all over the place, some of which require root access to trash, but since you're trashing the entire app, not just experimenting, there'll be no problems.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63501 02/25/23 04:44 AM
OP Offline

OK. I just thought some of them embedded themselves into other things not associated with the app but could take them down and out if I removed it. Thanks.

Apps place files all over the place, some of which require root access to trash, but since you're trashing the entire app, not just experimenting, there'll be no problems.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63502 02/25/23 04:51 AM

OK. I just thought some of them embedded themselves into other things not associated with the app but could take them down and out if I removed it. Thanks.
To put your mind at ease, do another Find Any File search for Fantastical, but this time, hit "option" before you hit "Find," and it will change to "Find All," which will show your recalcitrant items in your results. Then post a screenshot of those results.

artie505 #63503 02/25/23 04:57 AM
OP Offline

I didn't see any "option" any place. I picked "all disks." Before it found 120 items. After ditching some into the trash and redoing it just now, it found 142 items. Leave it to me to have something become so complicated.

To put your mind at ease, do another Find Any File search for Fantastical, but this time, hit "option" before you hit "Find," and it will change to "Find All," which will show your recalcitrant items in your results. Then post a screenshot of those results.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63504 02/25/23 05:02 AM
OP Offline

Find Any File Maybe you have the paid version?

I didn't see any "option" any place. I picked "all disks." Before it found 120 items. After ditching some into the trash and redoing it just now, it found 142 items. Leave it to me to have something become so complicated.

[quote=plantsower]OK. I just thought some of them embedded themselves into other things not associated with the app but could take them down and out if I removed it. Thanks.
[/quote

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63505 02/25/23 05:13 AM

As far as I can see, there's no free version of FAF. The only version is $6 shareware.

"option" means the option key.

Find Any File > on startup volume > Fantastical > hit option key > Find All, and before you post your results, click on the middle icon in "Package Contents" in your results pane to compress any packages.

Selecting "all disks" shows the files on your clone as well as those on your internal drive, but they'll disappear from your next clone after you complete the FAF operation. (The 142 items should be the original 120 on your clone plus 22 on your internal that the pop-up is questioning.)

artie505 #63506 02/25/23 05:24 AM
OP Offline

The Pkg Contents had a line through it so nothing happened when I clicked on it. I tried to take a screen shot of the whole window with Control-shift-5 but it still only took a screen shot of what was shown on the desktop.

As far as I can see, there's no free version of FAF. The only version is $6 shareware.

"option" means the option key.

Find Any File > on startup volume > Fantastical > hit option key > Find All, and before you post your results, click on the middle icon in "Package Contents" in your results pane to compress any packages.

Selecting "all disks" will show files on your clone as well as those on your internal drive, but they'll disappear from your next clone after you complete the FAF operation. (The 142 items should be the original 120 on your clone plus 22 on your internal that the pop-up is questioning.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63507 02/25/23 05:35 AM

The Pkg Contents had a line through it so nothing happened when I clicked on it. I tried to take a screen shot of the whole window with Control-shift-5 but it still only took a screen shot of what was shown on the desktop.
The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.)

I've never heard of a control-shift-5 screenshot. I use command-shift-4 to take partial screenshots, and take multiples if the pane extends below the bottom of my screen.

artie505 #63508 02/25/23 05:51 AM
OP Offline

Looks like I forgot to include the screen shot! LOL! I tried to take a screen shot of the bottom half but Imgur said it couldn't take that kind of file. What? I just learned about the Control-Shift-5 function. It worked great on another page I needed and showed the whole thing even though it wasn't showing on the computer completely. But just now it didn't work. Find Any File Hope this is good enough. I'm getting sleepy.

The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.)

I've never heard of a control-shift-5 screenshot. I use command-shift-4 to take partial screenshots, and take multiples if the pane extends below the bottom of my screen.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63513 02/25/23 05:58 PM
OP Offline

The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.) Yes, 3 were filtered out. And these are the ones I can't remove for some reason.

I've never heard of a control-shift-5 screenshot. I use command-shift-4 to take partial screenshots, and take multiples if the pane extends below the bottom of my screen. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63514 02/25/23 06:07 PM

I believe it should be Command-Shift-5, not Control-Shift-5. The latter does nothing (at least for me), while the former produces a small palette at the bottom of the screen that lets you choose what you want to take a screenshot of. Hover over each icon on the palette to see what it does.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #63515 02/25/23 06:23 PM
OP Offline

You're right. I misspoke. Although when I did that on the window showing the Fantastical items still in my mac that I can't get rid of, it didn't work. I've used it with my word processor and it worked fine.

believe it should be Command-Shift-5, not Control-Shift-5. The latter does nothing (at least for me), while the former produces a small palette at the bottom of the screen that lets you choose what you want to take a screenshot of. Hover over each icon on the palette to see what it does. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard