FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calendar not alerting anymore
#63321 02/06/23 12:17 AM
OP Offline

My calendar isn't giving me any alerts anymore x 2 to 3 days. I went into my calendar prefs and also notifications and everything is fine. I even quit calendar in activity monitor per a suggestion online. I also rebooted my Mac. I am finding that if I put in a new test alert, it works but the older ones aren't showing up. I may have to re-enter everything. mad

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Calendar not alerting anymore
plantsower #63322 02/06/23 01:56 AM

For lack of a better idea, toggle the Alerts preferences off and on.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #63323 02/06/23 02:39 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Jon. I did that today but it didn't work either.

Originally Posted by jchuzi
For lack of a better idea, toggle the Alerts preferences off and on.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63324 02/06/23 12:33 PM

Check your settings in System Preferences > Notifications > Calendar. Something may have changed?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #63325 02/06/23 05:25 PM
OP Offline

Hi Jon: Yes, that's the first thing I did. Nothing changed. It's a mystery. I went ahead and re-entered everything hoping it would give me an alert, but it didn't. I went through Calendar prefs and Notifications with Apple. Everything is correctly checked. Now I'm back to square one. I have a lot of alerts, including birthdays, so this is really putting me in a pickle.

Check your settings in System Preferences > Notifications > Calendar. Something may have changed?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63328 02/06/23 06:05 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by plantsower
Hi Jon: Yes, that's the first thing I did. Nothing changed. It's a mystery. I went ahead and re-entered everything hoping it would give me an alert, but it didn't. I went through Calendar prefs and Notifications with Apple. Everything is correctly checked. Now I'm back to square one. I have a lot of alerts, including birthdays, so this is really putting me in a pickle.

ADDENDUM I decided I may need to d/l another calendar or planner. I looked on the App Store for free ones. They don't all say which versions they will support. I know when looking at apps in the past they always said which versions were supported. I'm not sure why they don't do that now unless I completely missed it. I'm hoping for one that supports Catalina though that may be a pipe dream.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63329 02/06/23 06:17 PM

Would you consider upgrading the OS? According to MacTracker, you MBPro can go up to Monterey. You are also using an old version of Safari and also of Firefox.

I can't say that this will solve your problem but it might be a good idea.

Jon

jchuzi #63331 02/06/23 06:23 PM
OP Offline

Normally, I don't upgrade unless I have to. But since I am considering purchasing an M2 MacBook Pro, guess it doesn't make sense not to this time. I thought about it. But the point is that the supported versions are not being mentioned for the most part. Thanks, John.

Would you consider upgrading the OS? According to MacTracker, you MBPro can go up to Monterey. You are also using an old version of Safari and also of Firefox.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63333 02/06/23 06:41 PM

ADDENDUM I decided I may need to d/l another calendar or planner. I looked on the App Store for free ones. They don't all say which versions they will support. I know when looking at apps in the past they always said which versions were supported. I'm not sure why they don't do that now unless I completely missed it. I'm hoping for one that supports Catalina though that may be a pipe dream.

Be aware that most of those FREE planners come with hooks that make them anything but free in the long run.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #63334 02/06/23 06:42 PM
OP Offline

Normally, I don't upgrade unless I have to. But since I am considering purchasing an M2 MacBook Pro, guess it doesn't make sense not to this time. I thought about it. But the point is that the supported versions are not being mentioned for the most part. Thanks, John.

I looked up updates on my system prefs and it doesn't give any but extension updates. I get a message to update my OS every now and then but I always refuse. I don't know where to go on my Mac to find that option. I've read where people are having problems updating from Catalina to Big Sur and may have to go straight to Monterey. Whatever, I need to know where to look on my Mac. Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #63335 02/06/23 06:44 PM
OP Offline

Ok, thanks for the warning.

Originally Posted by joemikeb

Be aware that most of those FREE planners come with hooks that make them anything but free in the long run.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #63339 02/07/23 03:58 AM
OP Offline

I had already upgraded Firefox but didn't think to update it in my profile. I don't see a way to upgrade Safari Tech Preview for Catalina. I also don't see where I can update my OS. Usually it has an update link in my Mac but I don't see one.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63340 02/07/23 04:06 AM
OP Offline

I had already upgraded Firefox but didn't think to update it in my profile. I don't see a way to upgrade Safari Tech Preview for Catalina. I also don't see where I can update my OS. Usually it has an update link in my Mac but I don't see one.

Addendum: I looked online via Apple Support and found out how to do it. I am now downloading Monterey. It's going to take all night as I don't have a very speedy internet.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63341 02/07/23 04:16 AM

I don't see a way to upgrade Safari Tech Preview for Catalina. I also don't see where I can update my OS. Usually it has an update link in my Mac but I don't see one.
I think STP updates only going forward, not backwards, and it's already way past Catalina. (Just to confirm, cruise your STP menu bar to see if there's an update link.)

Doesn't Software Update offer you an OS upgrade?

Where did you find the d/l?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63342 02/07/23 04:26 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
[quote=plantsower]I don't see a way to upgrade Safari Tech Preview for Catalina. I also don't see where I can update my OS. Usually it has an update link in my Mac but I don't see one.
I think STP updates only going forward, not backwards, and it's already way past Catalina. (Just to confirm, cruise your STP menu bar to see if there's an update link.) There is nothing on my SFP menu bar regarding updates. I went to the website and they have it for Monterey and Ventura. I am updating to Monterey now and when it's done (tomorrow) I will update Safari Tech.
[color:#000000]
Doesn't Software Update offer you an OS upgrade?

When I went to Sys Pref drop down box there was only extension updates offered. I went to sys prefs, General - and found where I could update my OS. I'm only updating because I want my calendar to work and because I may be getting a new Mac soon with Ventura anyway.[/color] Sorry about the crazy way the colors turned out. I tried 3 times and gave up.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63343 02/07/23 05:42 AM

I looked up updates on my system prefs and it doesn't give any but extension updates.
That just registered.

System Prefs doesn't deal with extensions. They're the App Store's business.

I'd love to see a screenshot of what you saw.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63344 02/07/23 05:59 AM
OP Offline

I looked up updates on my system prefs and it doesn't give any but extension updates.
That just registered.

System Prefs doesn't deal with extensions. They're the App Store's business. You're right. I just looked at the drop down box again. Now it says 1 update next to system prefs but clicking on it gets me nowhere. I think it's because I'm d/ling Monterey at the moment.

Then down the drop-down list is the App Store with 4 updates at the moment.

So, my mistake. No screen shot necessary.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63345 02/07/23 06:11 AM
OP Offline

I went to install Monterey and it said I didn't have enough room on my SSD. I did have enough room on my Catalina Disk which I think is my thumb Drive that I use for SuperDuper which I named Catalina. I thought when we upgraded we just incorporated the new OS into our old one so it didn't take that much space. So, I guess I don't do it. Because if I do, I will have to constantly use my SD to use Monterey, right? Argh!

That just registered.

System Prefs doesn't deal with extensions. They're the App Store's business.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63346 02/07/23 10:57 AM

I went to install Monterey and it said I didn't have enough room on my SSD. I did have enough room on my Catalina Disk which I think is my thumb Drive that I use for SuperDuper which I named Catalina. I thought when we upgraded we just incorporated the new OS into our old one so it didn't take that much space. So, I guess I don't do it. Because if I do, I will have to constantly use my SD to use Monterey, right? Argh!
I dunno... That doesn't sound right, but maybe it is.

Please do a Get Info (command-I) on the icon for your internal drive on your desktop and post it.

artie505 #63348 02/07/23 02:08 PM

Rita:

This is a shotgun approach, but you could try running First Aid with Disk Utility. At least, that's what DU calls it in Big Sur. I don't remember if the name was the same in Catalina.

Jon

artie505 #63350 02/07/23 04:41 PM
OP Offline

This morning I got another banner asking to upgrade. I accepted it and now it's downloading again. Before that I looked on disk utility and I seemed to have plenty of space. If that doesn't work, I will send you a screen shot.

Please do a Get Info (command-I) on the icon for your internal drive on your desktop and post it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #63351 02/07/23 04:44 PM
OP Offline

It is still called First Aid. I will try that if necessary. Once again, it is downloading Monterey. I would think it odd that it offered to download it if I didn't have room, but then again I don't know how intuitive those banners are that offer to upgrade via Apple banners.

Rita:

This is a shotgun approach, but you could try running First Aid with Disk Utility. At least, that's what DU calls it in Big Sur. I don't remember if the name was the same in Catalina.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #63352 02/07/23 06:44 PM
OP Offline

Here's what happened twice. While d/l ing Monterey it got interrupted. But then I saw the Monterey icon on the dock. I clicked on it and it said to install. I tried that each time and that's when I got the message that I didn't have enough room. I knew it wasn't ready to install because it had only half downloaded. When my Mac shut down and came back up, I couldn't find the window that showed it was still downloading, just the icon on the dock. When I clicked on the software update, nothing happened like last time when it was actually downloading.

SSD info

Monterey message

I don't know what to go from here as the software update button isn't working. Is there a way to see if it's downloading in the background?

Last edited by dkmarsh; 02/08/23 10:20 PM. Reason: fixed link

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63355 02/07/23 09:18 PM
OP Offline

I went back into the apple logo and about then software updates. I clicked on it and Monterey started downloading again but this time it looked like it had been partially downloaded already and within 60 seconds said I had a two day wait for it to finish and now it says 2 hours. I think that's normal as it never gets it right. Hopefully, things will work out this time as long as my Mac doesn't suddenly close down like it did a few hours ago for no apparent reason.

This morning I got another banner asking to upgrade. I accepted it and now it's downloading again. Before that I looked on disk utility and I seemed to have plenty of space. If that doesn't work, I will send you a screen shot.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63357 02/07/23 10:00 PM

I went back into the apple logo and about then software updates. I clicked on it and Monterey started downloading again but this time it looked like it had been partially downloaded already and within 60 seconds said I had a two day wait for it to finish and now it says 2 hours. I think that's normal as it never gets it right. Hopefully, things will work out this time as long as my Mac doesn't suddenly close down like it did a few hours ago for no apparent reason.

Those time estimates are a joke! Last night I was updating my AppleTV (the device, not the app) and the time estimate went from 3 minutes to 58 minutes and then 3+ hours and the entire process completed in a little moree than 7 minutes with a normal install.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard