Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Battery problem
artie505 #63275 01/30/23 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by Ira L
How long is a cycle in battery life?
Each round of full discharge and then full recharge is called battery cycle life. A battery's cycle life can range from 500 to 1200. That means a life cycle of 18 months to 3 years for a typical battery.

[Note the term "full discharge". I imagine most people do not let their battery go to 0%.]
Just to clarify, "full discharge" is a cumulative computation, i.e., 20 x 5% discharges = 1 full discharge, as do 2 x 50% discharges.

Quite true. And the discharges can be over a period of days or weeks, so that the duration of a life cycle can be even harder to determine. That's why I think the maximum battery charge, rather than cycles, is a better indicator of battery life and power. And in the case of this thread, to me, 23% (or now 24%) is not a good sign.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
1 member likes this: joemikeb
Ira L #63276 01/30/23 06:31 PM
OP Offline

You're right, it's not a good sign. I rarely use my mac without the adapter, so as long as it works with that, I'm good. When that stops, time for a new Mac. It's way too inconvenient for me to go to an Apple store from where I live. And I don't want to bother to have to send it in.

Quite true. And the discharges can be over a period of days or weeks, so that the duration of a life cycle can be even harder to determine. That's why I think the maximum battery charge, rather than cycles, is a better indicator of battery life and power. And in the case of this thread, to me, 23% (or now 24%) is not a good sign. [/quote]

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #63279 01/31/23 12:24 AM

Each round of full discharge and then full recharge is called battery cycle life. A battery's cycle life can range from 500 to 1200. That means a life cycle of 18 months to 3 years for a typical battery.

[Note the term "full discharge". I imagine most people do not let their battery go to 0%.]
Just to clarify, "full discharge" is a cumulative computation, i.e., 20 x 5% discharges = 1 full discharge, as do 2 x 50% discharges.

Quite true. And the discharges can be over a period of days or weeks, so that the duration of a life cycle can be even harder to determine. That's why I think the maximum battery charge, rather than cycles, is a better indicator of battery life and power. And in the case of this thread, to me, 23% (or now 24%) is not a good sign.
I agree. % charge is more important than number of discharge cycles...considerably more important, in fact. And you're quite right about Rita's battery taking only a 23/4% charge being ominous (and that's to say the least).

But it seems to me that there should be some degree of correlation, and a battery that's only used up 1/4 of its life yet only takes 1/4 of a charge seems anomalous to me.

Has anybody got any insights into that?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63280 01/31/23 07:35 PM
OP Offline

I just learned something. Even though my MacBook says my battery is at 84% (battery app says it's at 84% at 9% Capacity), as soon as I unplug it to run down the hall to use the printer, it shuts down. So actually next to no battery life at all. Thankfully, it still works with adapter.

I agree. % charge is more important than number of discharge cycles...considerably more important, in fact. And you're quite right about Rita's battery taking only a 23/4% charge being ominous (and that's to say the least).

But it seems to me that there should be some degree of correlation, and a battery that's only used up 1/4 of its life yet only takes 1/4 of a charge seems anomalous to me.

Has anybody got any insights into that?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63284 02/01/23 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I just learned something. Even though my MacBook says my battery is at 84% (battery app says it's at 84% at 9% Capacity), as soon as I unplug it to run down the hall to use the printer, it shuts down. So actually next to no battery life at all. Thankfully, it still works with adapter.

Eight-four percent of nine percent capacity means that you are at eight percent of a new battery. And despite marketing claims to the contrary, those numbers are at best a guestimate, based on arguable data, it is entirely probable your battery is incapable of supporting more than "low power" operation. I would urge you to bite the bullet and send your MacBook to Apple for battery replacement as it is possible that, if the battery fails completely, it is possible that it will not run even with the charger plugged in.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63286 02/01/23 07:07 PM
OP Offline

Yikes! Maybe I will send it in. I'm stubborn, but we will see. I wouldn't for sure if I didn't have my iMac backup.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower

Eight-four percent of nine percent capacity means that you are at eight percent of a new battery. And despite marketing claims to the contrary, those numbers are at best a guestimate, based on arguable data, it is entirely probable your battery is incapable of supporting more than "low power" operation. I would urge you to bite the bullet and send your MacBook to Apple for battery replacement as it is possible that, if the battery fails completely, it is possible that it will not run even with the charger plugged in.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63289 02/03/23 05:10 AM
OP Offline

Well, my computer shut down just now even though it was plugged in. I was able to get it back up but it says 0% battery. The battery app doesn't even work when it's zero. The funny thing is that the adapter light is now green. It used to be orange because it was trying to charge. Green means fully charged, right? So weird. I think I am going to just get another MacBook. I have to do this every few years anyway. They just don't last very long for me.

Yes, I could get a battery but I don't want to go to Apple or even deal with ending my Mac there. Bye, bye early 2015. It's been real!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #63292 02/03/23 06:33 AM

I dunno, but it seems to me that even with a non-functional battery, your MBP should work while plugged in.

I can only guess, but the green light may mean that the battery is fully charged as respects its ability to take a charge, i.e., 0% = 100%?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63294 02/03/23 04:50 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, but you would think the battery app would acknowledge it. It is working now but for how long? Maybe when the battery died, the Mac didn't acknowledge the adapter, who knows. But, for now, it works. I just can't take my Mac into the other room where my printer is and use it. I have to transfer everything I want to print to the iMac and that's a pain. Thus, that's why I am looking for a new Mac per my latest post.

I dunno, but it seems to me that even with a non-functional battery, your MBP should work while plugged in.

I can only guess, but the green light may mean that the battery is fully charged as respects its ability to take a charge, i.e., 0% = 100%?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard