FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S/Ws WiFi controlled
#63166 01/22/23 08:25 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I have pot lights around my home controlled by a WiFi signal. I did have a problem for some unknown reason where after working perfectly for several weeks, they would only work manually.

Today my neighbour (electrical contractor) fixed them. I have a question he wasn't sure about and that is if my computer was completely disconnected, would that require that the lighting be reset?

Naturally I don't want to find out (perhaps the hard way) by unplugging my computer. Anyone know for sure?

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: S/Ws WiFi controlled
jaybass #63169 01/22/23 11:56 PM

Last week I reconfigured my Wi-Fi network and had to have my computer (or iPhone, iPad, AirPod, AirPod mini, or Apple TV) powered up and running in order to relink, reset, or re-configure any one or all of my so-called lifestyle devices (lights, switches, thermostats, video cameras, thermostats, etc). Without knowing the specifics of your devices, their configuration, and network type I can only speculate, but I am a bit surprised that your neighbor didn't need to have your computer, or another device running in order to restore your lights to full functionality. Even though you control them via Wi-Fi, is it possible they use a zigbee or similar connection through your home's wiring?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63171 01/23/23 01:54 AM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, I did not require to boot up my computer Only my iPad. I did have to rent a "pod" which is made in the US by a company called plume. They are hexagonal in shape and plug in to an electrical outlet without blocking the other half.
They are preconfigured to work with BELL'S modem. I believe the term modem & router are synonymous. I reset my modem simply by unplugging it for about 30 seconds as you are probably aware. My S/Ws are by 'Meross' and only work on 2.4GHz band.
I had my iPad already hooked up to my WiFi for my neighbour who took my iPad to my breaker panel where I have (1) S/W and then into my garage where I have the other (2( S/Ws. Initially he had already installed a new breaker S/W on my panel.
Apart from the new circuit, the only difference is the Pod. I only have (1) but as many as (4) can be used depending on your situation. I don't think what I've said is of much or any help to you.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #63176 01/23/23 03:43 AM

Actually Plume pods will work with any FIOS, cable, or 5G modem that has an Ethernet port. At least it works very well with my charter cable modem. (I use a Plume 6E as my Gateway and router connecting two superpod hubs and six original pods. I was able to get rid of my old 2.4 GHz Airport network by replacing the Koogeek and meross switches and plugs in my system with a combination of Phillips Hue lightbulbs that have their own network run through a hub connected to th network via etheret and second generation Leviton switches and plugs that are compatible with the Plume mesh network. Any question I had has been explained, but I still don’t understand why there was any question of turning off your computer. confused

One comment, my Plume network coverage still had a couple of weak spots until I moved one pod that had no connected devices to another outlet three feet further away and within half an hour the network had reconfigured itself and every link has been excellent since then.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63179 01/23/23 05:34 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Smartphone running iOS 9* or later, Android 4.1 or later.
Existing Wi-Fi network.
*HomeKit version requires iOS 13.0 or later.

AFAIK, if you want to run Meross from your computer, you have to install Blue Stacks emulator otherwise, read above.
The advantage of using an iPad is that you can walk around with it to see if your setup and times are working.
Yes, the location of those pods can affect whether or not you can pick up the WiFi signal.

To be honest, I know VERY little about WiFi and what it's capable of.
jaybass

jaybass #63180 01/23/23 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
The advantage of using an iPad is that you can walk around with it to see if your setup and times are working.
Yes, the location of those pods can affect whether or not you can pick up the WiFi signal.

I typically use my iPhone to add or setup Homekit devices, simply because it is the most portable, but when it come to setting up Automations and scenes I prefer to use the iPad or Mac. For normal on/off/dim control I just say, "hey Siri, turn den lights 100%" and there is always an Watch, iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, Pod, and often, some combination of the above within earshot that will execute the Siri action.

Originally Posted by jaybass
To be honest, I know VERY little about WiFi and what it's capable of.

Not to worry, your Plume network is very sophisticated and has more information about your network than either of us or as far as I know any other competing Wi-Fi router network. The only thing it can't do is suggest where to move or how to re-arrange pods for optimum network coverage and can only tell you how good your existing pod distribution is. Changing the physical location of the pods is a task where patience, and maybe a little intuition, is a virtue.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard