FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Moving from older to newer 27" iMac
#63086 01/17/23 11:03 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I am currently going through my present 27" iMac to remove digital detritus, et cetera, after which I'll update the OS (Probably Ventura). Then I'll open my newer 27" (2020) and begin transferring data. I have found a method which sounds too easy to be true.

Simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps) , data files, settings, it does not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated.

It's from an Apple Support Community

Thoughts?

Last edited by ryck; 01/17/23 11:13 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Moving from older to newer 27" iMac
ryck #63087 01/17/23 11:08 AM

Dead link, ryck.

In the dark, Migration Assistant sounds like your way to go.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63088 01/17/23 11:15 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Now fixed the link. Man, you're fast to reply!

Originally Posted by artie505
Even though I need to create a new User Account? Right now my machine has two separate accounts...mine and my wife's.

Gotta hit the sack...will check in the A.M.

Last edited by ryck; 01/17/23 11:19 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #63089 01/17/23 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
Man, you're fast to reply!
As are you!

Even though I need to create a new User Account? Right now my machine has two separate accounts...mine and my wife's.
Since Migration Assistant enables you to migrate one or both of your existing accounts, would you still need to create a new one?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63092 01/17/23 04:32 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Since Migration Assistant enables you to migrate one or both of your existing accounts, would you still need to create a new one?
I don't know, but the person at the Apple Support Community posted:

"The ONLY difference between MA and SA is MA will create a new user account that you need to log into."

Last edited by ryck; 01/17/23 04:32 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #63094 01/17/23 05:29 PM

I don't know, but the person at the Apple Support Community posted:

"The ONLY difference between MA and SA is MA will create a new user account that you need to log into."
MA will enable you to populate your new a/c(s) with the contents of your existing a/c(s). (SA also creates a new a/c, and it needs to be populated via MA.)

ryck #63095 01/17/23 06:02 PM

[i]Simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts.

Don't overthink it. Yes, turn on the new iMac, begin the process and when prompted, plug-in (if not already hooked up) the TM backup and magic happens. The new iMac should "look" like the old one, once the transfer is completed. In my experiences it is not a real fast process, but it does the job.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #63097 01/17/23 11:49 PM

I am currently going through my present 27" iMac to remove digital detritus, et cetera, after which I'll update the OS (Probably Ventura). Then I'll open my newer 27" (2020) and begin transferring data. I have found a method which sounds too easy to be true.

Simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps) , data files, settings, it does not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated.

It's from an Apple Support Community

Thoughts?

1. Boot your new computer into the Recovery Drive and update the OS to the most current version, that will morph into the setup process.
  2. Very early during the setup process, before you create a new account, you will be asked if you want to Migrate from another computer or Time Machine backup
  3. Answer in the affirmative and Migration Assistant will immediately take over
  4. When Migration Assistant completes, you will have your old account up and running on the new Mac. IT IS THAT EASY.
  5. Once that is complete you can manually launch Migration Assistant and migrate your wife's account.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63100 01/18/23 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Once that is complete you can manually launch Migration Assistant and migrate your wife's account.
In my experience, Migration Assistant has always taken care of both of my accounts in one shot.

ryck #63101 01/18/23 04:46 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank-you everyone for all your input. Clearly, the newer iMac c/w Time Machine is the way to go, using guidance you have provided. The changeover will happen after I see if there is an answer to a related, but completely different, issue that has popped up. I will start a new thread for it.

Stay tuned and thanks again.

Last edited by ryck; 01/18/23 04:47 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard