for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
So Long Airport
#63070 01/11/23 09:17 PM
OP Offline

For at least ten years my local area network has used an Apple Time Capsule as a router and to create a 2.4GHz WiFi network for compatibility with several older Homekit devices, and a Plume mesh network for internet and inter-device communications. For Christmas, I gave myself a new irrigation controller that is compatible with the mesh network and removed the last reason for keeping the dedicated 2.4 GHz band alive. This morning, I competed reconfiguring my network and powered the Time Capsule down for the last time. To my complete surprise, when I ran an internet speed, test the download speed had increased by an average of over 100Mbps. It is too early to draw any firm conclusions, but it is certainly enough to get my attention.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: So Long Airport
joemikeb #63071 01/12/23 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
...when I ran an internet speed, test the download speed had increased by an average of over 100Mbps. It is too early to draw any firm conclusions, but it is certainly enough to get my attention.
Verizon's proprietary speed test gives me results for both network to router and network to device. In your instance, it would seem like the latter option would be impacted. (I often have to run the test multiple times before it completes.)

My d/l results: Network to router: 309Mbps
                       Network to device: 290Mbps

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63072 01/13/23 07:08 PM
OP Offline

My Internet to router download speed, as measured by the router itself runs 555 Mbps. The Internet download speed using the Ookla Speed test app on my iPhone that is connected to a Wi-Fi network Pod in a room at the far end of the house that in turn connects to a Wi-Fi network hub that finally connects to the Router hub is 553 Mbps. Before removing the Time Capsule both numbers were in the 425 to 450 range.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63078 01/15/23 12:22 PM

And somewhere in the middle of all that was the Time Capsule.

"Logically," I can see your router to device speed changing, but it doesn't seem the least bit possible for your network to router speed to have changed.

It cries out for experimentation...which sounds like it would be a nightmare with your configuration.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63081 01/15/23 08:19 PM
OP Offline

Actually the Time Capsule was not in the middle rather at the very beginning directly connected to the modem as seen in this diagram. The revised network is more like this.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63085 01/17/23 04:38 AM

And your d/l speed from Internet to cable modem increased when the Time Capsule was removed from the mix?

Seems mind-boggling to me.

artie505 #63091 01/17/23 03:54 PM
OP Offline

My download speed from internet modem to router/Wi-Fi gateway increased.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63105 01/19/23 09:47 AM

My Internet to router download speed, as measured by the router itself runs 555 Mbps. The Internet download speed using the Ookla Speed test app on my iPhone that is connected to a Wi-Fi network Pod in a room at the far end of the house that in turn connects to a Wi-Fi network hub that finally connects to the Router hub is 553 Mbps. Before removing the Time Capsule both numbers were in the 425 to 450 range.
Doesn't
My download speed from internet modem to router/Wi-Fi gateway increased.
contradict that?

The former sounds like the speed increase begins with your ISP, while the latter sounds like it's entirely within your own house. (Or am I misunderstanding your terms?)

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard