FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mouse cursor
#63073 01/14/23 05:23 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.14.6 Today my mouse disappeared and when I pressed the space bar, the page I was viewing went up and down. I tried charging my mouse twice but could not recover my mouse. I phoned my son who after querying the problem said I should hold down the command & control button plus shutting down the computer. This produced a black screen along with the sound of being rebooted. After doing this three times, I still didn't have my mouse. A window said to make sure my mouse was discoverable...without the mouse, I couldn't do it. I then shut off the power to everything and after about 30 seconds, I switched it back on again, I could see that my router was rebooting/recharging. I then did the command & control thing and this time upon rebooting, I regained my mouse. Question: What happened that caused my mouse to disappear? I've the mouse disappear before but not to this extent...any comments?

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: mouse cursor
jaybass #63074 01/14/23 08:28 PM

It may be helpful for responders to know exactly what kind of mouse you're using.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63075 01/14/23 08:43 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

It is a magic mouse...black multi-touch.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #63076 01/14/23 09:18 PM

This probably isn't going to be of much help, but for what it is worth, I went through a spell of losing my trackpad and which I tracked down to losing the Bluetooth connection. I was never able to figure out why I was losing the Bluetooth connection but resorted to keeping a USB cable handy to plug the trackpad in when for whatever reason the Bluetooth connection would breakdown. While that worked on a Magic Trackpad, it would not work on a Magic Mouse because of the location of the Lightning port on the MM. The problem eventually disappeared and I never found a satisfactory reason for the problem or its disappearance. Given Apple's mouse-centric UI, I can't even come up with a suggested work-around other than keeping a corded mouse handy and checking System Settings > Bluetooth to see if you can renew the connection there. crazy

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63077 01/14/23 09:38 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, if you don't have a logical answer, then I guess no one does. Should it happen again, at least I will have a few avenues to pursue. Thank you for your response.

jaybass

jaybass #63079 01/15/23 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by jaybass
A window said to make sure my mouse was discoverable...without the mouse, I couldn't do it.

Whatever that means…
So, once you got the mouse back, did you have the instructions telling you how to do this?
I'd be interested to check that out. It's not something I see in the Mouse pane of System Preferences.

Gregg #63080 01/15/23 02:40 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Gregg, I just went to system prefs and clicked on bluetooth. A window appears showing bluetooth as ON below that my mouse is "Now discoverable"

I don't know if it is that simple. Try it.

jaybass

jaybass #63082 01/16/23 01:31 PM

Thanks. Mine shows a button to Turn Bluetooth Off below the heading Bluetooth: On.
Under the button, it says "Now discoverable as 'Mac Mini'."
There is a box on the right with the heading Devices. The box is empty.
So, if I'm using Bluetooth for anything, I don't know what that would be.

Gregg #63083 01/16/23 03:42 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Bluetooth has to be on for your mac to be discoverable AFAIK.

jaybass

Gregg #63084 01/16/23 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg
Thanks. Mine shows a button to Turn Bluetooth Off below the heading Bluetooth: On.
Under the button, it says "Now discoverable as 'Mac Mini'."
There is a box on the right with the heading Devices. The box is empty.
So, if I'm using Bluetooth for anything, I don't know what that would be.

If you have an Apple [/i]Magic[/i] Keybard, Mouse, or Trackpad you are using Bluetooth®. If you have a wired Keyboard, Mouse, and/or trackpad you are using USB, not Bluetooth. Bluetooth is, in essence, a short range, low powered wireless form of USB. The "Now discoverable as 'Mac mini'" message in the Bluetooth pane is a notice that your Mac mini has Bluetooth turned on and ready to "pair" and is identifying itself as 'Mac mini". Any paired Bluetooth devices will appear in System Settings > Bluetooth. The fact that no devices are appearing in the Bluetooth pane is an indication you have no Bluetooth connections and can safely turn Bluetooth off.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63090 01/17/23 01:41 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I do not have a wireless keyboard or mouse. Is there a disadvantage to leaving Bluetooth on?

I think I used to have the Bluetooth symbol in my Menu Bar. I must have removed it.

joemikeb #63093 01/17/23 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
This probably isn't going to be of much help, but for what it is worth, I went through a spell of losing my trackpad and which I tracked down to losing the Bluetooth connection. I was never able to figure out why I was losing the Bluetooth connection but resorted to keeping a USB cable handy...
I also have found Bluetooth to be a bit 'iffy' in making and maintaining connections which may be, as you explain later in the thread, the fact that it is low power.

I am wired to the computer for keyboard and trackball but use Bluetooth for connecting the computer to an audio amp (about 5 feet from the computer) and a printer (about 7 feet away). Both devices will sometimes 'take their time' about connecting. I also use Bluetooth to link an iPad and a Bose Mini Soundlink, and that connection has a tendency to drop out.

Question: It's just a thought but, depending of the size and shape of the room, would Bluetooth have sufficient power to set up waves that are out of phase with the original signal?

Last edited by ryck; 01/17/23 04:55 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Gregg #63096 01/17/23 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg
Thanks for the explanation. I do not have a wireless keyboard or mouse. Is there a disadvantage to leaving Bluetooth on?

I think I used to have the Bluetooth symbol in my Menu Bar. I must have removed it.

If you are not using Bluetooth there is no reason to leave it on, and it may create interference. I would turn it off.

Originally Posted by ryck
I also have found Bluetooth to be a bit 'iffy' in making and maintaining connections which may be, as you explain later in the thread, the fact that it is low power.

I am wired to the computer for keyboard and trackball but use Bluetooth for connecting the computer to an audio amp (about 5 feet from the computer) and a printer (about 7 feet away). Both devices will sometimes 'take their time' about connecting. I also use Bluetooth to link an iPad and a Bose Mini Soundlink, and that connection has a tendency to drop out.

Question: It's just a thought but, depending of the size and shape of the room, would Bluetooth have sufficient power to set up waves that are out of phase with the original signal?

Actually the more recent versions of Bluetooth use less power and are in my experience, have a longer range and are more reliable. Because Bluetooth devices are paired with the host and Bluetooth messages are sent with destination addresses, the frequency is very high (2.4 GHz), and the power very low, the possibility phase cancellation of signals is too low to be of any concern. However, interference from 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi bands, a metal coffee cup on the desktop, or even a poorly shielded USB cable or device is within the realm of possibility. Once again the more recent, ultra-low power versions of Bluetooth are less likely to be effected, have far longer range (90 feet or more), connect more rapidly, pair automatically, and are more reliable. But, like USB, to acheive this performance, both the host and device must be built to the new standards.

— Albert Einstein
1 member likes this: Gregg
joemikeb #63099 01/18/23 02:20 AM

The fact that no devices are appearing in the Bluetooth pane is an indication you have no Bluetooth connections and can safely turn Bluetooth off.

Note that if you make use of AirDrop to send files between your Mac and another Mac or an iOS device, you'll need to have Bluetooth turned on even if you don't use any wireless input devices.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #63104 01/19/23 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by dkmarsh
The fact that no devices are appearing in the Bluetooth pane is an indication you have no Bluetooth connections and can safely turn Bluetooth off.

Note that if you make use of AirDrop to send files between your Mac and another Mac or an iOS device, you'll need to have Bluetooth turned on even if you don't use any wireless input devices.

Good point!

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard