Next Thread
Print Thread
Should enable new security?
#63001 12/18/22 01:58 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Glanced at this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/...-new-icloud-encryption-security-feature/

Seems very cumbersome and complicated to deal with. Would love to get opinions on others here worth hassle... Thanks.

Re: Should enable new security?
kevs #63004 12/18/22 08:21 PM

You won't be surprised to learn that I already have it set up and running. My observations are:
  • Every Apple device on your account must be up-to-date (Ie. macOS 13.2, iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, watchOS 9.2, HomePod Mini 16.2, HomePod 16.2, tvOS 16.2).
  • You will be required to set up either a 28 character Recovery key (it will be assigned) and/or a Recovery Contact
  • When you enable Advanced Data Protection on any device on your account, it is automatically enabled on all devices on your account that access iCloud
  • Once it is enabled, it is completely invisible apart from requiring two-factor-authentication to log onto iCloud's web interface.
  • If there is any delay created by the encryption and decryption process, it is unnoticeable on any of my devices.
  • Disabling Advanced Data Protection is a simple matter of clicking here.
  • The only difficulty I encountered was not all of the requisite OS versions were in release when I first tried to initialize ADP, but I believe all are generally available now.

I HAVE FOUND NO REASON NOT TO GO FOR IT.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63006 12/18/22 10:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks, not surprised!

But before learning even more cumbersome things to do (not aware others you just mentioned)... I bailed when asked it for new password! Was too tired to make one up.. Just want to upgrade OS, be done..

What if your password could not remember down the road?

But what the point of all this? Whatare the the big pros in all this? What is current status by comparison?

kevs #63007 12/19/22 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by kevs
What if your password could not remember down the road?

When you set up ADP you must name a Recovery Contact and/or secreted a copy of your Recovery Key in a safe location(s) off line. Apple can use either of those to recover help you recover.

Originally Posted by keys
But what the point of all this? Whatare the the big pros in all this? What is current status by comparison?

Currently, iCloud is encrypted but that encryption is vulnerable to a security breach at Apple. Advanced Data Protection is Apple's response to this vulnerability. With Advanced Data Protection, your information is uniquely encrypted using your encryption key and DoD strength encryption algorithms and Apple has no knowledge of your ADP encryption key. As a result, your data on iCloud becomes as secure as the data on your iPhone and like the iPhone no one, can access it without your cooperation -- there in no cryptologic back door.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63008 12/19/22 01:51 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe sounds like a big PITA, and time kill. I seem to have been fine for the last 6 years on iphone..

What are the the cons of not doing this?

kevs #63009 12/19/22 04:04 AM

Joe sounds like a big PITA, and time kill. I seem to have been fine for the last 6 years on iphone..

What are the the cons of not doing this?
Whatever you've got to hide won't be as hidden as it could be.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63011 12/19/22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Whatever you've got to hide won't be as hidden as it could be.

Good answer! But to elaborate a bit more, many people have been reluctant to commit their personal information to cloud storage, and given the number and magnitude of some recent breaches their reluctance is understandable. ADP makes cloud data as secure as the data on iPhones the FBI and other agencies have complained about because not even a federal subpoena can break into it.

(I am not hiding anything from the government, but everything from my birth certificate and baby pictures to my last will and testament is on my iCloud Drive and I would just as soon not have some unknown individual rummaging through it to see what treasure they might find.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63012 12/19/22 05:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks, now clearer. I keep NONE of that stuff on cloud drive. So for me then huge pita, annoying burden to deal with... but good to ask.

So it's all personal... but got NY times article acting like it's a must everyone right...shss. Titled, why you should enable.... guess guy writing that needs more clicks.. REality is many like me just have a few dozen, folders there just for easy access.... I might have a few semi sensitive things, but.. should be ok.

Has there been a lot of reports of people have their icloud drive compromised in last 6 years? I doubt it.

Again, unless one has things you just listed... lot of work..

kevs #63013 12/19/22 07:56 PM

No reports of any iCloud compromise to my knowledge.

If you don't use iCloud, don't backup any devices to iCloud, and on your Mac under Settings > Apple ID > iCloud you have iCloud Drive, iCloud Mail, Find My, Photos, Password & Keychain, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, Safari, News, Stocks, Home, Wallet, Siri, and Freeform all turned OFF, you don't need ADP.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63014 12/19/22 08:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe were making some headway here now.

So this is the icloud contacts, and all that, so I thought it was just the confusing i cloud drive.

kevs #63015 12/19/22 10:12 PM

Ok Joe were making some headway here now.

So this is the icloud contacts, and all that, so I thought it was just the confusing i cloud drive.

YEP!

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63016 12/20/22 01:21 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe if you have the checklist of what to do / and or.. I'll maybe call Apple .... sounds bit hairy to get going... new strong password ...

kevs #63017 12/20/22 04:06 PM

Thanks JOe if you have the checklist of what to do / and or.. I'll maybe call Apple .... sounds bit hairy to get going... new strong password ...

It sounds a lot harrier than it is in practice.
  1. Be sure all your devices have password logon enabled.
  2. Click on Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Advanced Data Protection > Turn On and follow the on screen instructions -- to the letter.
  3. Print your Recovery Key and save it someplace you will remember.
  4. If you have devices on your account that need updating it will tell you which ones and you will need to either remove the device from your account or update it.
  5. Suggestion for memorable strong password, choose a three or four word phrase, capitalize each word, separate the words with the separator of your choice and insert a numeral randomly in one word. For example Too~Much~Inform8tion
  6. You can pause at any point and later resume at the same point you left. (I probably stopped and restarted half a dozen times to update devices before it finally turned ON.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63018 12/21/22 09:18 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe will absorb this... maybe also call Apple, seem bit hairy, the fun never ends!

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard