FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Re-trying SuperDuper
#62827 11/19/22 06:42 PM
OP Offline

It's been so long since I've backed up my Mac (I know, I know) that I've forgotten how to use SuperDuper! I read instructions but still got confused.

I attached my external drive and erased it because it had stuff I never refer to anymore. I wanted to start fresh.

Maybe I need to reformat it for a mac. I believe I had to do that originally. It's a WD my passport. What do you think?

I went through the process of going through DiskUtility and selecting my external drive. I guess I used some wrong buttons because I got this showing up. Disk Utility. I selected all that I wanted off of there and clicked "erase." It still shows up.

I want to be able to get rid of whatever doesn't belong here on the left side and start fresh to just add one folder called Catalina when I'm done.

I don't know why I have a "container." Maybe something I did way back.

The owner of SuperDuper tried to help, but as always, everything went over my head. You guys know how to "talk down to me" so I can understand. You notice I didn't say talk to me like a 3rd grader because nowadays they would know why to do!

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Re-trying SuperDuper
plantsower #62830 11/19/22 08:16 PM

Hi, Rita,

Your screenshot looks like you did everything right, but I can't be certain without seeing Disk Utility with the WD My Passport line selected.

"Container disk3" is what you should see in your APFS setup.

Assuming all else is OK, you just need to select Untitled 2 as your SD! destination. (You can change that "Untitled" to whatever you want.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62831 11/19/22 08:52 PM
OP Offline

This is the view with the WD passport screen shot. WD Passport View

After I click on "untitled" there is no option to change the name to Catalina. What am I missing? Untitled View

Do I need to click partition and do something there? Partition View

Originally Posted by artie505
Hi, Rita,

Your screenshot looks like you did everything right, but I can't be certain without seeing Disk Utility with the WD My Passport line selected.

"Container disk3" is what you should see in your APFS setup.

Assuming all else is OK, you just need to select Untitled 2 as your SD! destination. (You can change that "Untitled" to whatever you want.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62832 11/19/22 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower

After I click on "untitled" there is no option to change the name to Catalina. What am I missing? Untitled View

What you've done is correct.

You can probably change the name in a Finder "Get Info" window, and you can definitely change it by selecting the "Container disk3" line, hitting erase, and changing the name in the pop-up.

Note: Your "Partition View" link leads to a blank page.

Speaking of partitions, though, since you've got a full TB to work with, I suggest that you split it into two containers , NOT APFS volumes, so you'll have one container for your SD! clone and one for any other data you may want to store on the drive. You would do it with the "Partition" button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62833 11/19/22 09:44 PM
OP Offline

Hmmm, wonder why it was blank on your end?

SuperDuper said MacOs 10.15.7 requires APFS formatting for Catalina. That's why the conversion by SuperDuper program. I copying now. That's for your help (as usual). smile

What you've done is correct.

You can probably change the name in a Finder "Get Info" window, and you can definitely change it by selecting the "Container disk3" line, hitting erase, and changing the name in the pop-up.

Note: Your "Partition View" link leads to a blank page.

Speaking of partitions, though, since you've got a full TB to work with, I suggest that you split it into two containers , NOT APFS volumes, so you'll have one container for your SD! clone and one for any other data you may want to store on the drive. You would do it with the "Partition" button.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62834 11/19/22 10:17 PM

SuperDuper said MacOs 10.15.7 requires APFS formatting for Catalina. That's why the conversion by SuperDuper program. I copying now.
It's still blank on my end, but it's not necessary that I see it. (What do you see when you click on the link?)

So you're saying that you formatted the drive incorrectly, and SD! changed it to the correct format?

artie505 #62836 11/20/22 12:16 AM
OP Offline

I am also seeing a blank when I click on it. I took a screen shot that looks perfect. Put it on Imgur and got a url. Something happened in between.

I didn't format the drive. I just started using SuperDuper and a message came up and said I needed to use the APFS format to make it work. There was a button provided for me to change it to that format, so I took advantage of it.

SuperDuper said MacOs 10.15.7 requires APFS formatting for Catalina. That's why the conversion by SuperDuper program. I copying now.
It's still blank on my end, but it's not necessary that I see it. (What do you see when you click on the link?)

So you're saying that you formatted the drive incorrectly, and SD! changed it to the correct format?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62837 11/20/22 01:07 PM

I am also seeing a blank when I click on it. I took a screen shot that looks perfect. Put it on Imgur and got a url. Something happened in between.
What happened is you somehow got an invalid URL: https://imgur.com/undefined]Partition View[/quote]

I didn't format the drive. I just started using SuperDuper and a message came up and said I needed to use the APFS format to make it work. There was a button provided for me to change it to that format, so I took advantage of it.
I don't think I knew SD! (CCC too?) could do that. Thanks for the info.

artie505 #62838 11/20/22 10:39 PM
OP Offline

You're welcome and thank you. I was able to do my backup just fine once I got a little help.

I just started using SuperDuper and a message came up and said I needed to use the APFS format to make it work. There was a button provided for me to change it to that format, so I took advantage of it. [/color][/quote]
I don't think I knew SD! (CCC too?) could do that. Thanks for the info. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62839 11/21/22 12:07 AM

I've never kept my external clone up to date - update it only once a month - because it's too much of a nuisance to keep the drive attached to my MBP, particularly in my small workspace.

To finally get around that shortcoming in my backup plan, I just got a TINY 256 GB flash drive that sits permanently in one of my ports and gets updated every day.

On point, then, now that you're started, keep going.

artie505 #62840 11/21/22 01:18 AM
OP Offline

The external drive is a nuisance. I've knocked it out of the Mac while backing up and have to start all over. Maybe I'll get a flash drive in the future. I only have 120 gigs on my MacBook Pro anyway. You said you get updated every day. Is that a manual update or is something preprogramed in your clone program that just does it? That would be nice.

I've never kept my external clone up to date - update it only once a month - because it's too much of a nuisance to keep the drive attached to my MBP, particularly in my small workspace.

To finally get around that shortcoming in my backup plan, I just got a TINY 256 GB flash drive that sits permanently in one of my ports and gets updated every day.

On point, then, now that you're started, keep going.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62841 11/21/22 02:54 AM

You said you get updated every day. Is that a manual update or is something preprogramed in your clone program that just does it? That would be nice.
It's built-in Carbon Copy Cloner functionality which is also available in SD!, but only in the paid version.

artie505 #62842 11/21/22 04:46 AM
OP Offline

OK, thanks. Good to know. I will think on that.

You said you get updated every day. Is that a manual update or is something preprogramed in your clone program that just does it? That would be nice.
It's built-in Carbon Copy Cloner functionality which is also available in SD!, but only in the paid version.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62843 11/23/22 01:56 AM
OP Offline

I'm still thinking of getting a flash drive to backup my Mac with S/D. Is there something special I have to do, or can I just put it in my Mac, bring up SuperDuper (paid version), and it walks me through? Any special kind of flash drive?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62844 11/23/22 07:08 PM

Flash drives use different technology, are a lot slower, less reliable, and generally less expensive than an SSD, but as far as macOS and any applications such as Super Duper or CCC are concerned they are just another drive and can be named and formatted just like any other drive mounted on the system. If your computer has a slot for an SD card, you could use something like this. If you do not have an SD slot and you have a Type A USB port then you need a thumb drive like this. If you have an unused Type C port then you would need something like this or for maximum performance, longevity and reliability, I would get a full blown SSD like this.

Remember this, SD cards and thumb drives are very much a commodity market where you get what you paid for. All too often, cheap, off-brand, SD Cards and Thumb drives aren't worth what you paid for them.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62845 11/24/22 03:20 AM
OP Offline

I think I have it all. I think I will go for the SD slot (flash drive). Macbook Pro Ports Not knowing much about flash drives, the measurements are ‎0.9 x 0.7 x 0.3 inches. Does that include that gray piece on the end? The port is bigger than an inch, but I assume that doesn't matter. What does matter is how much the gray piece on the end hangs over the port because I use the usb port on that side for my Logitech laptop speaker so I need room for that.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Flash drives use different technology, are a lot slower, less reliable, and generally less expensive than an SSD, but as far as macOS and any applications such as Super Duper or CCC are concerned they are just another drive and can be named and formatted just like any other drive mounted on the system. If your computer has a slot for an SD card, you could use something like this. If you do not have an SD slot and you have a Type A USB port then you need a thumb drive like this. If you have an unused Type C port then you would need something like this or for maximum performance, longevity and reliability, I would get a full blown SSD like this.

Remember this, SD cards and thumb drives are very much a commodity market where you get what you paid for. All too often, cheap, off-brand, SD Cards and Thumb drives aren't worth what you paid for them.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62846 11/24/22 01:05 PM

I think I have it all. I think I will go for the SD slot (flash drive). Macbook Pro Ports Not knowing much about flash drives, the measurements are ‎0.9 x 0.7 x 0.3 inches. Does that include that gray piece on the end? The port is bigger than an inch, but I assume that doesn't matter. What does matter is how much the gray piece on the end hangs over the port because I use the usb port on that side for my Logitech laptop speaker so I need room for that.
You've got your apples and oranges mixed up. SD slot and flash drive don't go together. It's either SD slot/SD card or USB port/flash drive. And the SD card slot isn't even next to the USB port, so I don't understand your concern in that respect.

Either an SD card or a flash drive will require a USB C adaptor to work with your next Mac, so they're equal in that respect other than the SD card adaptor being considerably bigger than the USB adaptor. (The SSD is USB C and will work without an adaptor.)

As for your concern about space, any listing you look at should include the dimensions of the device. I'll note that in my experience, I've never run across a device that didn't fit, but I've found that the tolerances are so small that a device that went in easily can be extremely difficult to get out.

artie505 #62847 11/24/22 05:20 PM
OP Offline

Artie: I showed the pic. I thought the slot on the right of the MacBook (2nd pic down and which looks huge next to the HDMI slot) was where I put the SD card that Joe talked about. No?

You've got your apples and oranges mixed up. SD slot and flash drive don't go together. It's either SD slot/SD card or USB port/flash drive. And the SD card slot isn't even next to the USB port, so I don't understand your concern in that respect.

Either an SD card or a flash drive will require a USB C adaptor to work with your next Mac, so they're equal in that respect other than the SD card adaptor being considerably bigger than the USB adaptor. (The SSD is USB C and will work without an adaptor.)

As for your concern about space, any listing you look at should include the dimensions of the device. I'll note that in my experience, I've never run across a device that didn't fit, but I've found that the tolerances are so small that a device that went in easily can be extremely difficult to get out.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62848 11/24/22 06:32 PM

Artie: I showed the pic. I thought the slot on the right of the MacBook (2nd pic down and which looks huge next to the HDMI slot) was where I put the SD card that Joe talked about. No?
Yes, but you also said " I will go for the SD slot (flash drive), " and "What does matter is how much the gray piece on the end hangs over the port because I use the usb port on that side for my Logitech laptop speaker so I need room for that," when an SD card has no overhang, and even if it did, it would only affect the HDMI port that sits between the SD slot and USB port.

All in all...confusing, and better to clear things up than let you go ahead and buy the wrong thing.

artie505 #62849 11/24/22 06:45 PM
OP Offline

Ok, now I get it. So it is the SD card for sure. I had no idea a flash drive and SD card were different animals. But if it's the SD card that fits next to the HDMI port, then that's what I'm getting as I never use that port.

Yes, but you also said " I will go for the SD slot (flash drive), " and "What does matter is how much the gray piece on the end hangs over the port because I use the usb port on that side for my Logitech laptop speaker so I need room for that," when an SD card has no overhang, and even if it did, it would only affect the HDMI port that sits between the SD slot and USB port.

All in all...confusing, and better to clear things up than let you go ahead and buy the wrong thing.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62850 11/24/22 07:11 PM

Ok, now I get it. So it is the SD card for sure. I had no idea a flash drive and SD card were different animals. But if it's the SD card that fits next to the HDMI port, then that's what I'm getting as I never use that port.
The SD card it is.

And you'll need this guy with your next Mac: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...3137712f7caa748b8a814850f047de6e5305e7d1 USB-C to SD Card Reader - Apple

artie505 #62851 11/24/22 07:36 PM
OP Offline

Which means they are taking away yet another useful item, right.

The SD card it is.

And you'll need this guy with your next Mac: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...3137712f7caa748b8a814850f047de6e5305e7d1 USB-C to SD Card Reader - Apple

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62852 11/24/22 08:02 PM

In their quest to make laptops ever smaller, they've necessitated our making up for it by carrying around a bunch of extra peripherals that used to be built in. frown

artie505 #62853 11/24/22 08:08 PM
OP Offline

Oh no. This is what I am calling the SD card because it is so big. Flash drive not SD card But now it's saying flash drive. I give up. Maybe just a USB C thingy.

The SD card it is.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62854 11/24/22 08:09 PM
OP Offline

I hate that so much. Sometimes I wish there were a good alternative to Apple rather than Microsoft! Nowhere to go!

In their quest to make laptops ever smaller, they've necessitated our making up for it by carrying around a bunch of extra peripherals that used to be built in. frown

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard