An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Turning the clock back
#62773 11/06/22 09:12 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
OP Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
I've never paid attention, just assumed that after the clock hit 2:59:59, the next tick would be 2:00:00, but that's not the way it happened.

My clock stopped at 1:59:59, and left me without a visible working clock for an hour, but curiously, a test folder created at 2:40 showed an incorrect creation time of 1:40, i.e., the clock had already been set back an hour behind the scenes.

I can't begin to figure out the logic involved here, but it seems to me that macOS's generating an incorrect creation time is a bug regardless of the logic. (Reported)

https://imgur.com/RH0nUbw


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Turning the clock back
artie505 #62775 11/06/22 10:17 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
OP Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by artie505
I've never paid attention, just assumed that after the clock hit 2:59:59, the next tick would be 2:00:00, but that's not the way it happened.

My clock stopped at 1:59:59, and left me without a visible working clock for an hour, but curiously, a test folder created at 2:40 showed an incorrect creation time of 1:40, i.e., the clock had already been set back an hour behind the scenes.

I can't begin to figure out the logic involved here, but it seems to me that macOS's generating an incorrect creation time is a bug regardless of the logic. (Reported)

https://imgur.com/RH0nUbw

I expected the change to be accomplished with a two hour period encompassed in a one hour "created" time frame. Back-dating creation seems like a poor way to have dealt with it.


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Turning the clock back
artie505 #62776 11/06/22 07:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Moderator
Online
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Quote
I've never paid attention, just assumed that after the clock hit 2:59:59, the next tick would be 2:00:00, but that's not the way it happened.

My clock stopped at 1:59:59, and left me without a visible working clock for an hour, but curiously, a test folder created at 2:40 showed an incorrect creation time of 1:40, i.e., the clock had already been set back an hour behind the scenes.

Artie, it looks to me like you have WWWWwwwwaaaayyyy too much free time on your hands..... blush shocked cool


Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
1 member likes this: joemikeb
Re: Turning the clock back
artie505 #62778 11/07/22 12:13 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by artie505
I expected the change to be accomplished with a two hour period encompassed in a one hour "created" time frame.
I was lucky....I slept through it.


ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS Mojave 10.14.6
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro
Re: Turning the clock back
MacManiac #62779 11/07/22 11:31 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
OP Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by MacManiac
Artie, it looks to me like you have WWWWwwwwaaaayyyy too much free time on your hands..... blush shocked cool
Sorry, guys, but I don't get your point.

I'm always on line overnight, so it's not like I stayed up to watch the ball drop, and I'd be astounded if either of you guys told me that your screen clock didn't change for an hour and you didn't take a look behind the scenes.


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Turning the clock back
artie505 #62783 11/07/22 05:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 4
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 4
I thought the time change occurred at 2:00 AM, at which time it became 1:00 AM. Your description says the change occurs at 3:00 AM, but your observations support a 2 AM change.


On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, 27" iMac, M2 Macbook Air, macOS 10.15.x and MacOS 13; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Turning the clock back
Ira L #62785 11/08/22 10:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
OP Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by Ira L
I thought the time change occurred at 2:00 AM, at which time it became 1:00 AM. Your description says the change occurs at 3:00 AM, but your observations support a 2 AM change.
I was confused..thought the change occurred at 3:00 AM. crazy (And Apple didn't help me in the least.)

What apparently happened was Apple set the system clock back an hour at 2:00 AM behind the scenes, but for some reason didn't do it on-screen.

So in effect, the change happened at 2:00 AM behind the scenes, and at 3:00 AM on-screen.


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Turning the clock back
artie505 #62790 11/09/22 01:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
And it looks like we will be doing this in the US for awhile longer…


Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Release build 20200307)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.25 Page Time: 0.018s Queries: 31 (0.012s) Memory: 0.6081 MB (Peak: 0.6896 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-11-29 07:28:37 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS