for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cookie problems anyone?
artie505 #63020 12/26/22 01:31 PM

Great time of year to talk about cookie problems. Mine show up on the bathroom scale. wink

artie505 #63816 04/23/23 11:19 AM
OP Online

Update: My disappearing cookies are for Chase Bank and FTM, but there may be others that I've never run into. The other sites with which I had a problem turned out to be victims of cache clearing.

I've now emailed Cookie's dev 3 times and not received a response - I guess it's a selfish reaction to my having called him out...story upon request.

At any rate, I've now trashed Cookie. (I guess I'll give it another try after a looong hiatus.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63817 04/23/23 06:07 PM

As it was back in October, when your issue first surfaced, I continue not to have the problem. On my machine, all relevant pieces of software (OS Monterey, Safari, Cookie) have since been updated.... but no change.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #63818 04/23/23 06:13 PM
OP Online

Bizarre!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #63819 04/23/23 08:50 PM

Cookies is only one of the ways Remember me can be implemented, and I know that FTM cookies have a relatively short (30 day) expiration date. Although I have no experience with Chase, I do have on-line accounts with multiple financial institutions and while all of them at one time did Remember me, I just made a quick check, and none of them, currently Remember me. While I haven't paid any particular attention to whether or not those sites remembered me, I BELIEVE that change has taken place this year and corresponds to significant site upgrades and increased site security arrangements including required two-factor authentication.

My point being, the change may be the result of financial institutions finally getting serious about site security and have nothing whatsoever to do with Safari or Cookie? confused

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #63836 04/25/23 11:10 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Cookies is only one of the ways Remember me can be implemented, and I know that FTM cookies have a relatively short (30 day) expiration date. Although I have no experience with Chase, I do have on-line accounts with multiple financial institutions and while all of them at one time did Remember me, I just made a quick check, and none of them, currently Remember me. While I haven't paid any particular attention to whether or not those sites remembered me, I BELIEVE that change has taken place this year and corresponds to significant site upgrades and increased site security arrangements including required two-factor authentication.

My point being, the change may be the result of financial institutions finally getting serious about site security and have nothing whatsoever to do with Safari or Cookie? confused
First, I'll note that the last time I looked, MacUpdate's cookies expired after only (a ridiculous) 7 days, and if I remember correctly, you posted a while back that there's been a recent push for shorter cookie lives than have historically been used.

I don't think my issue's got anything to do with strengthened security, though, because FTM has made no changes other than shortening the lives of its cookies (nor has ryck, who's still running Cookie, run into my issue).

Of the websites at which I've had problems, my FTM and PayPal problems go away when Cookie goes away, and my Chase Bank problem occurs only when I clear cache.

Here's a four month history of my FTM cookies, and as you can see there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to their disappearance.

I wonder if many of the sites that don't remember you are simply the result of your not having visited them for so long that their cookies expired?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard