for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Continuity Camera
#62712 10/27/22 09:07 PM
OP Online

I just got around to trying Continuity camera and it is better than advertised! If you haven't heard of continuity Camera it is a technique for using an iPhone XR or later as a webcam for a Mac running Ventura both on the same Apple ID account, Wi-Fi network, and both having bluetooth on. Then simply bring the two within proximity and open an app that supports Continuity Camera, such as FaceTime. The image quality is stunningly brilliant, even in bad room lighting. Then there are the effects (please excuse the model, I work cheap grin):

The only trick so far is finding a MagSafe iPhone mount that goes on the monitor with the proper orientation. There are several that fit MacBook and MacBook Air displays and some that fit on a monitor or iMac. Of the few that fit a monitor, only one orients the camera to face the person behind the keyboard, and it is on back-order until some time next month. frown cool

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Continuity Camera
joemikeb #62718 10/28/22 05:26 PM

What if the iMac or Mini is connected by Ethernet and not wi-fi? Will it still work? And the iPhone doe need to run iOS 16, correct?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #62719 10/28/22 07:45 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by Ira L
What if the iMac or Mini is connected by Ethernet and not wi-fi? Will it still work? And the iPhone doe need to run iOS 16, correct?

Good question, As I understand it, Wi-Fi needs to be turned on, but that does not preclude the internet connection used for FaceTime, for example, being via Ethernet but in any case both devices must be on the same Apple ID account. Any iPhone since iPhone SS can be used as long as it is running iOS 16 or better. There is also a provision for connecting the iPhone to the Mac via USB but in that instance Apple recommends turning off Cellular data on the iPhone to prevent unexpected disconnects. I will leave that to someone that gets paid for testing various options, but in the meantime, it is working beautifully for me. Far superior to any web camera I have seen.

By-the-way, I was recently corrected for using wi-fi instead of Wi-Fi. Apparently, the latter usage has been incorporated into the standard. tongue

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/28/22 07:50 PM. Reason: more complete response

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62729 10/29/22 05:46 PM
OP Online

Apple's instructions for using Continuity Camera indicate that Continuity Camera connection failures can be cured by “restarting” the Mac. After an hour trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I discovered “restarting” means “Cold Boot”. mad

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62733 10/30/22 09:12 AM

OUCH!

Shame on Apple for that one. (Troubleshooting yourself in the foot. tongue )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard