for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Find Any File
#62502 09/04/22 08:21 PM
OP Offline

I used Find Any File today and it got rid of stuff that App Cleaner and Easy Find left behind. Lots of stuff. But there are two folders that won't go away. I was using Day One, a journal app. I am trying to delete it. I accessed it today to print from my journal. After that I tried to delete the app, but those 2 files from today won't budge. Any ideas?

Last edited by cyn; 09/06/22 04:48 PM. Reason: Topic moved from the Networking forum to the Mac Applications forum.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Find Any File
plantsower #62503 09/04/22 08:33 PM

HI, Rita. Maybe post a screenshot of Find Any File's readout so we can see the paths to those files/folders.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62504 09/04/22 08:46 PM
OP Offline

I chose "all disks" so I would get every file. Above the two folders it says "mobile documents" but I don't know what that means. I am using my MacBook, and my phone doesn't have Day One on it. So, maybe that's not what it's talking about. Find Any File results

Originally Posted by artie505
HI, Rita. Maybe post a screenshot of Find Any File's readout so we can see the paths to those files/folders.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62506 09/04/22 09:42 PM

"Mobile Documents" means nothing to me.

When you select items in FAF, you ordinarily see a complete path to them at the bottom of the FAF pane. Seeing the paths to those two items may help.

Hmmm... I found this: "[Mobile Documents] is the local copy of your iCloud 'Documents & Data' stored on your Mac." It sounds like Day One placed that stuff expecting you to use it with your phone.

The solution looks like navigating to ~/Library/Mobile Documents and deleting the entire folder. It shouldn't cause you any problems, because you don't use iCloud.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62507 09/04/22 10:17 PM
OP Offline

I just went to mobile documents and checked the "documents" file, but it's empty. Not sure why it's showing 2 documents or files in FAF that I can't get rid of. Mobile documents showed up under iCloud Drive so not even there. I probably don't have to worry about it, but it's nice to get all files of an app gone.

"Mobile Documents" means nothing to me.

When you select items in FAF, you ordinarily see a complete path to them at the bottom of the FAF pane. Seeing the paths to those two items may help.

Hmmm... I found this: "[Mobile Documents] is the local copy of your iCloud 'Documents & Data' stored on your Mac." It sounds like Day One placed that stuff expecting you to use it with your phone.

The solution looks like navigating to ~/Library/Mobile Documents and deleting the entire folder. It shouldn't cause you any problems, because you don't use iCloud.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62509 09/04/22 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I just went to mobile documents and checked the "documents" file, but it's empty. Not sure why it's showing 2 documents or files in FAF that I can't get rid of. Mobile documents showed up under iCloud Drive so not even there. I probably don't have to worry about it, but it's nice to get all files of an app gone.
Whatever's in ~/Library/Mobile Documents isn't supposed to be visible...don't ask me why, though, but as I said
Just delete the entire folder.

plantsower #62510 09/04/22 11:38 PM

Mobile Documents indicates it is pointing to something on the iCloud drive that is referenced on the local drive but physically exists on the iCloud drive. There is a "Mobile Documents" folder in the user's Library named "Mobile Documents" which is essentially an alias of the iCLoud Drive. FAF is reporting finding the alias for those files, which apparently exist only on iCloud.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62512 09/05/22 03:33 AM
OP Offline

Except when I checked, they were not on icloud. confused

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Mobile Documents indicates it is pointing to something on the iCloud drive that is referenced on the local drive but physically exists on the iCloud drive. There is a "Mobile Documents" folder in the user's Library named "Mobile Documents" which is essentially an alias of the iCLoud Drive. FAF is reporting finding the alias for those files, which apparently exist only on iCloud.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62513 09/05/22 03:36 AM
OP Offline

I didn't know I could safely do that.

The solution looks like navigating to ~/Library/Mobile Documents and deleting the entire folder. It shouldn't cause you any problems, because you don't use iCloud. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62514 09/05/22 03:54 AM

As long as you're satisfied that you've got no relationship with iCloud/iCloud drive, trashing the folder will be a harmless procedure.

artie505 #62515 09/05/22 05:13 AM
OP Offline

OK. Thanks.

As long as you're satisfied that you've got no relationship with iCloud/iCloud drive, trashing the folder will be a harmless procedure.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard