FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPad to iPad data transfer
#62494 09/04/22 12:54 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

We have two new iPads (iOS 15.6.1) and one old iPad Mini (iOS 12.5.6) and an even older iPad (iOS 10.3.4) but the Apple system doesn't want to transfer the data from the old machines to the new ones. I've tried every way that Apple has but nothing is working....I always end up with No mail, No messages....nothing that actually matters.

Is there a way to transfer data, et cetera, directly? (cable? through the iMac?). This has been a real ulcer-generating afternoon.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: iPad to iPad data transfer
ryck #62496 09/04/22 11:43 AM

My iPad shares e-mails with my Mac, from the Cloud. Is yours not set up that way? I didn't really have to do anything, just use the same Apple ID and password.

Gregg #62499 09/04/22 03:32 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by Gregg
My iPad shares e-mails with my Mac, from the Cloud. Is yours not set up that way?
That's exactly what I have with my old iPad. The new one, which has all the same items ticked, does not have any Mail, Messages, Contacts, et cetera. I did manage to get my music transferred using the old cable connection/iTunes method.

Apple has a way of transferring data from one iPad to another using WiFi and Bluetooth (you just have the machines side by side) but the iOS's on the old machines are not current enough for that method.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #62500 09/04/22 04:30 PM

Have you tried this?
  1. On your OLD iPad log onto your AppleID then go to Settings > AppleID > ICloud and check everything you find there. (You may have to look for these settings, I don't have anything that old and I don't remember the exact settings layout but that is in there somewhere.) Then allow time for all of that data to be transfered and/or synchronized with iCloud -- it could take a while so be patient.
  2. On your NEW iPad log onto the same AppleID then go to Settings > AppleID > ICloud and check everything you find there. Then allow time for all of that data to be transfered and/or synchronized with iCloud -- it could take a while so be patient.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62501 09/04/22 07:31 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

That didn't work I have a sinking feeling that the problem may be with Google, who my carrier (Telus) chose to hand the mail system over to a couple of years ago (G Suite).

Among other things, I've seen this caution:

A suspicious app was blocked from accessing your account
Google prevented someone from signing in to your account using a non-Google app. If this wasn’t you, they know your password and you should change it immediately.

If it's Google, it's a serious problem as they are disinclined to have people talk to them. Instead they have a bunch of web "help" pages that are incomprehensible. One doesn't even allow you to enter the issue. Every few seconds it asks if you really want to "leave this page".

It's staring to look like I wasted a lot of money buying two new iPads.

Last edited by ryck; 09/04/22 07:33 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #62517 09/05/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
That didn't work I have a sinking feeling that the problem may be with Google, who my carrier (Telus) chose to hand the mail system over to a couple of years ago (G Suite).

Google prevented someone from signing in to your account using a non-Google app. If this wasn’t you, they know your password and you should change it immediately.

If it's Google, it's a serious problem as they are disinclined to have people talk to them. Instead they have a bunch of web "help" pages that are incomprehensible. One doesn't even allow you to enter the issue. Every few seconds it asks if you really want to "leave this page".

That Google message may be because you are using Apple Mail, a third-party app from Google's perspective. I have seen the same message from Yahoo after signing in via Apple Mail. Each mega-company would like you to use their specific app to access their mail servers.

With regards to setting up the new iPad, if you back up the old iPad via iCloud, aren't you given an option to set up the new one using an iCloud backup? This should faithfully recreate the old onto the new. At least it has when I have done it. If you missed this opportunity for the new iPad, restore it to its original factory settings and start over with it.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #62518 09/05/22 09:48 PM

At one time, Google's IMAP was a semi-compatible proprietary hodgepodge, but like Microsoft, they finally realized their proprietary standards were counter-productive and dropped the proprietary features in favor of industry-wide standards for IMAP.

I generally avoid Google every way I can, but, I do have a Google Group eMail account and between a Mac, iPad, and iPhone, it is accessed using Mail roughly 864 times a day, without triggering any such warning. But I have received very similar messages, apparently phishing for my password, reputing to be from other accounts including Amazon, my bank, and American Express. Rather than reporting the incident to Google's technical support, I suggest reporting it to Google's fraud department. FWIW I found that link using DuckDuckGo, not Google.

Can you provide a little more detail than “That didn't work”? Specifically, what are you doing? What are you expecting to happen? What is actually happening? What macOS version do you have? What iPadOS versions? Don't forget, screenshots are sometimes worth more than 1,000 words.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/05/22 10:04 PM. Reason: request for details

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #62519 09/05/22 10:38 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Happily, I can retract that presumption.

I spent nearly three hours on the phone this morning with an extremely helpful, knowledgeable and even more patient Apple support person, Carmella, who walked through everything....and I mean everything. In the end, the iPhone. iPad and iMac are all in sync (as are my wife's). She even found a couple of issues I wasn't aware of, fixed those and offered some additional advice.

All that and I even got a call-back number....just in case some other help is needed. Do you think they fix old codger curmudgeonliness?

Last edited by ryck; 09/05/22 10:40 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #62520 09/06/22 12:58 PM

Glad the Apple Support person came to your rescue. As for your OCC, you'll need a group of preschoolers for that. wink

ryck #62523 09/06/22 04:31 PM

Happily, I can retract that presumption.

I spent nearly three hours on the phone this morning with an extremely helpful, knowledgeable and even more patient Apple support person, Carmella, who walked through everything....and I mean everything. In the end, the iPhone. iPad and iMac are all in sync (as are my wife's). She even found a couple of issues I wasn't aware of, fixed those and offered some additional advice.

All that and I even got a call-back number....just in case some other help is needed. Do you think they fix old codger curmudgeonliness?

Can you briefly describe what made it all work, what method, etc.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #62527 09/07/22 02:23 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by Ira L
Can you briefly describe what made it all work, what method, etc.
I wish I could but so much went on that I simply don't recall all the events were or in which order they occurred. There was a lot of Carmella taking control of the iPad and directing me to click on things and enter new information. There was even some checking of servers. I believe a key part of restoring the mail was the fact that she deleted accounts and had me create new ones which, I believe, were then populated by an iCloud backup

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #62530 09/08/22 02:53 PM

Ryck,

I just looked on Wikipedia under "Curmudgeon" and I saw your picture!!! blush

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #62534 09/08/22 10:57 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by MacManiac
Ryck,

I just looked on Wikipedia under "Curmudgeon" and I saw your picture!!! blush
Hahaha.....and, of course, I had a curmudgeonly scowl.

Last edited by ryck; 09/08/22 10:57 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard