for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Couple of questions....
#1810 08/22/09 07:11 PM
OP Offline

I was hoping to ask this question in private but apparently I can't. I clicked on a couple of Mod profiles but PMs are not allowed.

Therefore:

1. Why are private messages disabled? and
2. How can I delete a post of mine?

Re: Couple of questions....
Bensheim #1816 08/22/09 07:53 PM

PMs have not been enabled yet. I think the admins are waiting to see how well the server handles things first.

If you can't delete a post, you can edit it and remove everything. You might have to leave behind at least 1 character. That's how it's worked for me on other forums.

Bensheim #1818 08/22/09 07:58 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

1) Private messages are disabled mostly because I don't think hosting private conversations is a good use of site resources. (If UBBT 7.5.3 had an option to allow PMs only to and from staff I'd go for that but no such luck.) Members can include a public email address in their profiles if they like the option of communicating privately with other FTM members.

2) If your post hasn't been replied to you can delete it within an hour of submitting it. If it's been longer than that or the post has been replied to, you can email me at the address for "administrative or board related issues" on the Contact Us page and I'll take look and see what I can do.

PS - You can edit a post for up to 24 hours. It's courteous to not make substantial changes to a post that's been replied to, or at the very least leave the "Mark as Edited" box checked.

Last edited by cyn; 08/23/09 12:13 AM. Reason: Correction and amplification.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
Bensheim #1833 08/22/09 11:02 PM

Your question just proved the point for not enabling PMs. Had you asked the question in a PM it would have denied others the opportunity to learn from your question. As I told students in my classes, "If you have a question, it almost a dead certainty others have the same question. There are only two dumb questions; the one wasn't asked and the one that was asked to prove how smart the questioner thinks they are."

It is the same reason putting an email address in a post with a request to reply to that address is discouraged in these forums.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #1941 08/24/09 06:04 PM

I disagree. I think PMs can be very useful if it's something off-topic or reasonably personal between two posters. What if someone doesn't want to share his/her email address, but still wants to go off-forum? Almost every other forum I'm a member of allows PMs and they're no worse for wear. If it's a resource issue that's one thing, but otherwise I think it's being needlessly restrictive.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
cyn #6240 12/01/09 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: cyn
1) Private messages are disabled mostly because I don't think hosting private conversations is a good use of site resources. (If UBBT 7.5.3 had an option to allow PMs only to and from staff I'd go for that but no such luck.) Members can include a public email address in their profiles if they like the option of communicating privately with other FTM members.

Hate to drag this topic up, but rather than start a new one, I did a search and found this.

Private Messages really don't take up that much resources. Plus, you can limit the amount that a person can send/receive, thereby keeping a cap on the amount of resources if you are worried about that.

Private messages are a great way for people to communicate without cluttering up a thread with their private conversations.

And as far as email, personally I don't like to give out mine until I know someone. It helps keep out the weirdos/stalkers. And I can't/won't post it in the forums...so how would I let the other person know my email address or ask them for theirs?

[url=Http://www.jbrphotography.com][url=Http://www.jbrphotography.com][url=Http://www.jbrphotography.com]Http://www.jbrphotography.com[/url][/url][/url]

johnkentucky #6246 12/02/09 02:21 AM

*chirp chirp* and the sound of crickets is deafening.

[url=Http://www.jbrphotography.com][url=Http://www.jbrphotography.com][url=Http://www.jbrphotography.com]Http://www.jbrphotography.com[/url][/url][/url]

johnkentucky #6248 12/02/09 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: johnkentucky
...so how would I let the other person know my email address or ask them for theirs?

As things are you couldn't. shocked You could post your email address in such a way that it's less likely to be harvested by spam bots, but you won't keep the weirdos at bay that way. Are they really an issue? I don't recall any such problems myself in over 15 years, but that's just me...

alternaut moderator
johnkentucky #6249 12/02/09 03:40 AM

I don't think it's a question of resources in the form of database space or anything like that, so much as networking and troubleshooting resources.

Troubleshooting forums are incredibly valuable sources of information even for people who aren't members. I know I've solved many computer problems by doing a Google search and finding some forum somewhere I had never heard of where some user had the exact same problem I did, and someone else posted a solution.

The fear, which I think is legitimate, is that when people take troubleshooting questions into private messages, that ends up depriving the Internet community at large of the benefit of that conversation and the wisdom and experience of the folks involved.

I can see how folks might want to take personal, non-tech issues to private messages, and I'm personally okay with that, but it's been my experience that nearly 100% of the private messages I receive on the various forums I use are in fact tech or troubleshooting related, and would probably be better in a publicly-accessible place.

I'm neutral on the subject of leaving or disabling PMs. As I've taken a hands-off approach to moderation and feel that it's most appropriate to let the forum moderators do their job without interference from me, I support their decision.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #6266 12/02/09 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Troubleshooting forums are incredibly valuable sources of information even for people who aren't members. I know I've solved many computer problems by doing a Google search and finding some forum somewhere I had never heard of where some user had the exact same problem I did, and someone else posted a solution.

The fear, which I think is legitimate, is that when people take troubleshooting questions into private messages, that ends up depriving the Internet community at large of the benefit of that conversation and the wisdom and experience of the folks involved.

As far as I am concerned, Tacit hit the nail squarely on the head. We do not want troubleshooting threads to get into the PM system — or into private emails. (At MFIF I sometimes received — and rejected — three and four private requests for help in a single week.) Then and now, if you post your email address and request troubleshooting help to be sent there, rather than posted on a forum I moderate, I will remove the email address with a request to confine troubleshooting to the forum. But there is no way to provide similar management in PMs.

Certainly the FTM community is important, IMO very important, which is why we have The Lounge.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #6269 12/02/09 07:34 PM
OP Offline

I don't even remember starting this thread, and in the last few days I completely agree with Tacit, re: "Troubleshooting forums are incredibly valuable sources of information even for people who aren't members. I know I've solved many computer problems by doing a Google search and finding some forum somewhere I had never heard of where some user had the exact same problem I did, and someone else posted a solution."

My recent usb>ethernet thing a case in point. Solved now, but from another Mac forum.

johnkentucky #6287 12/03/09 01:29 AM

Hello, johnkentucky

FineTunedMac is building:
  1. an online community for troubleshooting questions and answers and
  2. a universal searachable library for finding solutions to problems.
This is the same goal set by our predecessors in the MacFixItForums.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard