for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Social Media Icons
#62276 08/08/22 05:04 PM
OP Offline

Does anyone know how to get rid of those social media icons that grace some websites? In my case, they are on the left side, one underneath the other in a vertical column. I have to read my text below them and it's annoying as they cover the left side of paragraphs.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Social Media Icons
plantsower #62277 08/08/22 09:38 PM

1. Install Ad Block Pro For Safari
  2. Install WIPR
  3. Click on the Website Settings icon on (looks like a cog gear] Safari's Tool bar and be sure the item labeled "enable content blockers" is checked.

Be aware there are a growing number of websites that will block your access unless you allow the ads. I got a warning the other day on one site threatening to block my IP address unless I disabled the blocker. I blocked their IP address. More and more often links in emails or from websites are blocked by Safari, the DNS server I use, and my router for “too many redirects" (ie. instead of going directly to the desired IP address the link is redirecting the link through multiple different servers, permitting those servers to track my internet usage.) I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it is a war between marketers and users and the marketers. Users may win battles but marketers have too much at stake to ever allow the users to win the war.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62278 08/08/22 10:59 PM
OP Offline

So I have to download both for it to work? I just downloaded Adblock Pro. But you should know me by now. I don't want to pay for WIPR. It's cheap but like you said, there will probably be a workaround (I'm paraphrasing). I always have blockers enabled.

[quote=joemikeb]
  2. Install WIPR
  3. Click on the Website Settings icon on (looks like a cog gear] Safari's Tool bar and be sure the item labeled "enable content blockers" is checked.

Be aware there are a growing number of websites that will block your access unless you allow the ads. I got a warning the other day on one site threatening to block my IP address unless I disabled the blocker. I blocked their IP address. More and more often links in emails or from websites are blocked by Safari. Yes, I get a lot of "unable to open page" and a long paragraph from Safari, so I use the develop menu to get to Firefox. It always opens it unless it may have malware. Then Firefox won't open it either.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62279 08/08/22 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
So I have to download both for it to work? I just downloaded Adblock Pro. But you should know me by now. I don't want to pay for WIPR. It's cheap but like you said, there will probably be a workaround (I'm paraphrasing). I always have blockers enabled. [/color]
You don't have to install both, that just happens to be the ones I have had good luck with. One will catch some sites the other will miss and vice-versa. But some junk will still get through. Remember, there are Billions of dollars in advertising revenue at stake, so they can afford the best hackers available. As soon as someone finds a block, the marketers will immediately go into high gear, figuring out how to thwart the block.

Yes, I get a lot of "unable to open page" and a long paragraph from Safari, so I use the develop menu to get to Firefox. It always opens it unless it may have malware. Then Firefox won't open it either.

Yes, Firefox has developed the reputation as one of the least secure browsers. (Interestingly the Onion browser, arguably the most secure browser commonly available, is a Firefox variant, but that security is at the cost of making it unable to render all but the most basic websites.) Generally, I find that any website blocked by Safari can be accessed by turning Content Blockers Off. If the site is blocked by my router, DNS server, or ISP changing the browser or browser settings, has no effect one way or the other. However, I often find that I can reach the site, by manually entering the actual domain name. The "redirects" are typically embedded in the link and even if you look at the link it is likely unintelligible.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/09/22 12:09 AM. Reason: more info

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62280 08/09/22 12:51 AM
OP Offline

Yes, Firefox has developed the reputation as one of the least secure browsers. I didn't know. They are always talking about security. (Interestingly the Onion browser, arguably the most secure browser commonly available, is a Firefox variant, but that security is at the cost of making it unable to render all but the most basic websites.) Generally, I find that any website blocked by Safari can be accessed by turning Content Blockers Off.I think I tried that but it didn't work. If the site is blocked by my router, DNS server, or ISP changing the browser or browser settings, has no effect one way or the other. I didn't know my router , DNS server or ISP would block stuff. However, I often find that I can reach the site, by manually entering the actual domain name. What is the Domain Name"? You mean www.blahblahblah.com or something else? The "redirects" are typically embedded in the link and even if you look at the link it is likely unintelligible. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62285 08/09/22 09:43 PM

What is the Domain Name"? You mean www.blahblahblah.com or something else?
Yes, but after thinking about it I realize I use the "fully qualified" domain name, ie. https://www.findtunedmac.com.

It just struck me, the phrase the devil is in the details is often used in these forums, and in this case, the details are in the link. (Okay, that is a bad joke based on an obscure reference, but it is the best I've got this afternoon.) crazy

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62286 08/09/22 09:52 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe. I didn't know that would make a difference. I will try to remember to us that when it happens again.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
What is the Domain Name"? You mean www.blahblahblah.com or something else?
Yes, but after thinking about it I realize I use the "fully qualified" domain name, ie. https://www.findtunedmac.com.

It just struck me, the phrase the devil is in the details is often used in these forums, and in this case, the details are in the link. (Okay, that is a bad joke based on an obscure reference, but it is the best I've got this afternoon.) crazy

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #62413 08/27/22 09:10 PM
OP Offline

I just read where I can right click on a social media icon on a webpage, pick the inspector choice, and hit delete to delete the highlighted part of the inspector element which gets rid of that particular icon on that page. I did it for all 5 icons and it worked. Now if I could just find a more succinct way of getting rid of all of them at once, that would be nice!

Update: I did it. I right clicked on the bottom social icon, selected inspector, hit delete 5 times and got rid of all the icons at once. It's only for one page at a time, but at least I can read it without the distractions and then go onto the next page and do it quickly. Yay!

2. Install WIPR

Be aware there are a growing number of websites that will block your access unless you allow the ads. I got a warning the other day on one site threatening to block my IP address unless I disabled the blocker. I blocked their IP address. More and more often links in emails or from websites are blocked by Safari, the DNS server I use, and my router for “too many redirects" (ie. instead of going directly to the desired IP address the link is redirecting the link through multiple different servers, permitting those servers to track my internet usage.) I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it is a war between marketers and users and the marketers. Users may win battles but marketers have too much at stake to ever allow the users to win the war.

Last edited by plantsower; 08/27/22 09:20 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62414 08/27/22 09:48 PM

I just read where I can right click on a social media icon on a webpage, pick the inspector choice, and hit delete to delete the highlighted part of the inspector element which gets rid of that particular icon on that page. I did it for all 5 icons and it worked. Now if I could just find a more succinct way of getting rid of all of them at once, that would be nice!

Update: I did it. I right clicked on the bottom social icon, selected inspector, hit delete 5 times and got rid of all the icons at once. It's only for one page at a time, but at least I can read it without the distractions and then go onto the next page and do it quickly. Yay!

That works, but you have to repeat it on every page, every time you visit the page. shocked mad

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62416 08/27/22 10:32 PM
OP Offline

Yes, that's why I was hoping there was a better way. Adblock Plus didn't do it and I believe the other one you mentioned costs money. I'm glad I found a quick way around it though.

That works, but you have to repeat it on every page, every time you visit the page. shocked mad

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62417 08/27/22 11:01 PM

Yes, that's why I was hoping there was a better way. Adblock Plus didn't do it and I believe the other one you mentioned costs money. I'm glad I found a quick way around it though.
I won't question how you spend your money, but I won't hesitate to question how you spend your time, so, is the time and effort required to go through that rigamarole at every new website, if not page, really worth more than the $1.99 cost of Wipr?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62419 08/28/22 12:45 AM
OP Offline

I guess I need to know if it's guaranteed to work since I know that Adblock Plus doesn't work on everything.

Originally Posted by artie505
I won't question how you spend your money, but I won't hesitate to question how you spend your time, so, is the time and effort required to go through that rigamarole at every new website, if not page, really worth more than the $1.99 cost of Wipr?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62422 08/28/22 01:51 AM

I guess I need to know if it's guaranteed to work since I know that Adblock Plus doesn't work on everything.
Well, I'm running Wipr, and I don't recall seeing a social media button recently, but hold off a while, and I'll pay close attention and get back to you.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62424 08/28/22 03:33 AM
OP Offline

OK, Thank you. I looked up Wipr and it didn't mention social media icons, so I will wait. Also, they are not on every website, so if you keep tabs and never see it, you won't know if it's because of Wipr or there just aren't any.

Well, I'm running Wipr, and I don't recall seeing a social media button recently, but hold off a while, and I'll pay close attention and get back to you.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62425 08/28/22 08:09 AM

OK, Thank you. I looked up Wipr and it didn't mention social media icons, so I will wait.
Good catch!

I'm running only Wipr and Roadblock, so I alternated between the two on an assortment of websites and found that Roadblock is the one that's blocking my social media buttons. (The link doesn't always work, so try it until it does.)

It was $10 shareware when I got it, but it's now freeware with in-app purchases, and a quick experiment suggests that the free portion is your answer.

artie505 #62428 08/28/22 05:16 PM
OP Offline

I just downloaded the free Roadblock. It doesn't block social media icons. It lets you know when you go to turn that on, that you have to pay. it's not important enough for me to pay for it as I've found the way around it with Inspector Element which only takes seconds. Thanks, Artie.

OK, Thank you. I looked up Wipr and it didn't mention social media icons, so I will wait.
Good catch!

I'm running only Wipr and Roadblock, so I alternated between the two on an assortment of websites and found that Roadblock is the one that's blocking my social media buttons. (The link doesn't always work, so try it until it does.)

It was $10 shareware when I got it, but it's now freeware with in-app purchases, and a quick experiment suggests that the free portion is your answer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard