FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New Mac every thing slower
kevs #62346 08/21/22 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by kevs
ARtie, can send screenshot, what is root mode? Kind of a noisy interface, I choose file and folders, root mode something innovating beyond that?
What can the root mode (Find All) find that the normal Find won't?

The root mode is mainly useful when the Mac has multiple user accounts configured and you like to find files in every user's private folders. Without the root mode, you won't get to look at other users' files.

If you're the only user on the computer, then using the root search mode is hardly ever necessary, as whilst Mac OS X does protect quite a few system files, it doesn't usually hide them from view. However, there may be software that hides files on purpose from you, and that's where the root mode might help you reveal those items, too.

If you prefer to perform all your searches in this root mode, see the manual: Automating "Find All"
Automate "Find All" (root permissions)
If you want to use "Find All", you have to hold down the option (⌥) key so that the Find button turns into Find All. Once you click on this button, you'll be asked to enter your password.

You can save your admin password in your personal keychain just for Find Any File so that you won't be asked for it every time any more. Here's how:

Launch the program Keychain Access.app, which you can find in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.
From the File menu, choose New Password Item (⌘N).
In the appearing dialog, enter "FindAnyFile" for the Keychain Item Name, then enter your Admin user name (i.e. your Mac login name) and your Admin password into the Account Name and Password fields.
Save it (i.e. click the Add button). This will add a password item of kind application password with the name FindAnyFile to your default keychain.
Launch Find Any File (FAF) and perform a root-level search by holding the option (⌥) key before clicking on the Find button. You'll be asked to confirm that Find Any File wants to access information from your keychain. Choose Always Allow.
Now, whenever you launch FAF and want to search with root permissions, you need to hold down the option key. You can change that, too, so that FAF will always search with root permissions. To do that, launch the program Terminal.app and paste the following into it:

defaults write org.tempel.findanyfile AlwaysFindAll -bool yes
Press the Return key to issue this command. Now quit and relaunch FAF - the Find button should now read Find All. With that, you're set. (To turn off this feature, issue the Terminal command again, replacing yes with no.)
But keep in mind that now that macOS is rooted in an untouchable snapshot, the ability to find system stuff has become more or less pointless, because such stuff can't be manipulated by either software or users.

(A note for the curious: At the bottom of the FAF home page <https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile> there's an enumeration of "Alternatives to Find Any File" which discusses both capabilities and GUIs...VERY COOL DEV!)

And isn't true that tons of gunk files that don't have name? Search Excel, maybe some junk does not have excel.. Junk always has the name of app sure?
I can't monitor my entire system, but I can say with 100% certainty that some apps (e.g., TurboTax) place files with names other than their own or those of their devs, so only an uninstaller can find them, so, yeah, all our Macs may be loaded down with years-old unidentifiable files that were placed by unknown, long since trashed apps. As for files with UUID IDs only, I've never run across any...but I've also never specifically searched, because I've got no idea where to start looking.

How compare to App Cleaner, that seems to be pretty impressive, though that wont work once have the app deleted and then junk is around years later, which is case ... in fact nothing works, cause years later, you don't even know what app was the foundation for the junk.
A year or two ago, in connection with another discussion about uninstallers, I d/l'ed (I'm almost certain it was) AppCleaner as an experiment immediately after having used Excel's built-in uninstaller, and it found significantly fewer remaining files than Find Any File did. It turned out that AC does not search for files, but relies on uploaded reports of files users have found - more or less hunt and peck methodology - which is obviously "no way to run an airline." (My apologies to AppCleaner if my memory is faulty and it's not the app I d/l'ed.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #62347 08/21/22 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
I use Find Any File in root mode, and I've always assumed that it's finding everything, but a while back, Jon posted that EasyFind found items that FAF missed. I expect to uninstall Excel (in favor of Numbers frown ) soon, and when I do, I'll d/l EF and compare it results with those of FAF. The massive number of files that Microsoft Office installs make Excel an excellent comparison candidate.

Because App Store apps are “Sandboxed” all of their support files are encapsulated in the application package itself. Therefore, the recommended way to delete them is through the Launchpad app. Simply click and hold on the icon in Launchpad until the icon shakes and an X appears at the upper left corner of the icon. Click on the X, approve the deletion and it is a complete deletion. It even works on Microsoft and Adobe apps purchased and installed through the App Store.

Microsoft and Adobe apps not purchased through the App Store usually have an uninstallation option in their installer, which should remove all application and settings files but leave the data files.
As I reported earlier, both here and to Apple, and including the latest Monterey update to v 12.5.1, none of my app store purchases or 3rd party apps in /Apps appear in Launchpad with the sole exception of one that's in /Apps/System Prefs/Utilities.

In my experience (non-App Store) Microsoft's built-in uninstaller doesn't come close to deleting all of its associated files.

As far as “require significant knowledge and detective skill on the part of the user” go, pretty much every app I've ever uninstalled was totally straightforward, with every item located by FAF searches for app & dev name being obviously deletable, the rare exceptions I've run into being apps such as Microsoft and Firefox, which turn up exceptions which do, indeed, call for a bit of thought before deletion.

And unless you really know what you are doing, it is easy to delete more than you intend. (Don't ask how I know that blush )
Agreed! It's not for either the amateur or fainthearted.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #62348 08/21/22 10:50 AM

ARtie, can send screenshot, what is root mode? Kind of a noisy interface, I choose file and folders, root mode something innovating beyond that?

PMFJI but a good friend who earned his living as a Unix System administrator for the Federal Bureau of Investigation who told me that after 20+ years of experience he never logged in as Root if there were any other alternatives because a single typo in a command can all too easily erase the entire system.
First is that Find Any File doesn't require logging in as root, it merely searches as root when so enabled.

I've had root enabled pretty much forever, but strictly for deleting stuff that can't be deleted from my Admin account (I've NEVER logged in as root user for any other purpose.), and your friend's warning has been drilled into my brain since day one, but it really only applies to using Terminal, which I'd NEVER EVER consider doing other than from my Admin account.

Originally Posted by keys
How compare to App Cleaner, that seems to be pretty impressive, though that wont work once have the app deleted and then junk is around years later, which is case ... in fact nothing works, cause years later, you don't even know what app was the foundation for the junk.

But there are apps that will search for old unused files.
But lack of use doesn't negate the possibility that those files are still pertinent.

kevs #62349 08/21/22 11:04 AM

JOe, thanks, good post. What are apps you recommend.

Just checked out Launchpad, never really tried it before, still don't get why one would use launchpad when have dock, but nice to see all icons so large.
I have never felt the need to use Launchpad but I have two procedures that work well for me:

1. I dragged /Applications into the right side of the dock and selected List view, Folder, and Name in the Options dialog (hold the mouse down on the Applications folder in the dock and select Options). I can then either scroll to the app that I want or type the first few letters to highlight it, then press Return.

2. Use Spotlight to launch an app. Press Command-space bar to access Spotlight and then type the name of the app that you want. Click the appropriate response to launch the app.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
joemikeb #62351 08/21/22 05:57 PM

...TinkerTool which has an app uninstaller function that has turned up bits parts and pieces missed by other app cleaner tools.
TinkerTool works only with apps that have been installed by drag & drop, not those that have been installed by installers. <https://imgur.com/FysgKso>
For the heck of it, I'll try it after I uninstall Excel and see what it says.

jchuzi #62352 08/21/22 06:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOhn how compare to just using the very easy nice app, app cleaner? Ira posted? I go with app cleaner unless you say otherwise.

artie505 #62353 08/21/22 08:34 PM

...TinkerTool which has an app uninstaller function that has turned up bits parts and pieces missed by other app cleaner tools.
TinkerTool works only with apps that have been installed by drag & drop, not those that have been installed by installers. <https://imgur.com/FysgKso>
For the heck of it, I'll try it after I uninstall Excel and see what it says.
Oops! I can't perform that experiment, because after I run the uninstaller I won't have anything to drag into TinkerTool.

kevs #62354 08/21/22 08:56 PM

Just checked out Launchpad, never really tried it before, still don't get why one would use launchpad when have dock, but nice to see all icons so large.

There are probably half a hundred app launcher apps including some that are strictly keyboard activated with no graphic interface to speak of, some that group apps by project, and any number of other organizational structures. Each has its own fiercely loyal group of users. MacOS includes several built in launchers including, Siri, Finder, Dock, and Launchpad. Like all such utilities the one you use is a matter of personal choice, work style, and brain orientation. I am visually oriented and can never remember the keyboard shortcuts, and therefore prefer the Dock and Launchpad over the shortcut and keyboard oriented launcher styles.

I use Dock for a select few apps that I use almost continuously every day such as Strongbox, Fantastical, ToDoist, Mail, Message, Safari, Notes, Feedback Assistant, DEVONThink 3, Dictionary, and ScanSnap Home. But I have 260 apps and don't remember all their names for a Finder or Siri search. Attempting to put all 260 in the dock would render Dock unusable. Using Launchpad I have organized all 260 into 22 stacks of functionally related apps for quick easy access and it works well with my cognitive style and workflow.

There are Launchpad related items on my wish list;
  1. The ability to have any app appear in more than one stack so I could create project oriented stacks.
  2. Safari Technology Preview has a new feature called Tab Groups that permits creating named groups of that can all be opened automatically simply by opening the "Tab Group". I would love to see that feature extended over Launchpad and Stage Manager groups.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62355 08/22/22 01:03 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe thanks Launchpad, just looked at neverd used before.

Can you make huge icons smaller so fit more on one page? As it too huge/ weird to be practical
Can you choose what want or don't want?
Can you arrange them to taste? Put what want on page 1 or alphabetical
Baffling: I see tiny circles on bottom to navigate, but arrows keys don't seem to move from page 1 to page 2? Clicking arrows on keyboard, nothing happens.

artie505 #62356 08/22/22 03:04 AM

As I reported earlier, both here and to Apple, and including the latest Monterey update to v 12.5.1, none of my app store purchases or 3rd party apps in /Apps appear in Launchpad with the sole exception of one that's in /Apps/System Prefs/Utilities.
I never noticed the dots at the bottom of a Launchpad screen that kevs just mentioned, and clicking on the grayed out one revealed my missing apps. blush

I wonder why that one Utility - all the others are Apps - appears on the main page?

kevs #62358 08/22/22 01:16 PM

Can you make huge icons smaller so fit more on one page? As it too huge/ weird to be practical

Rather than making the icons smaller, create stacks or folders of related icons by dragging and dropping the icons on one another

Can you choose what want or don't want?

Launchpad is automatically populated with any application (.app) in the /Applications folder or sub-folders. There is no other selection option.

Can you arrange them to taste? Put what want on page 1 or alphabetical

Yes, using simple drag and drop

Baffling: I see tiny circles on bottom to navigate, but arrows keys don't seem to move from page 1 to page 2? Clicking arrows on keyboard, nothing happens.

confused I have never seen the tiny circles. Because I use a keypad, I control Launchpad with gestures. Pinch with thumb and three fingers to open Launchpad, and swipe left or right with two fingers to change pages. (I had to look those up because they have become so automatic I wasn't certain how I performed the gestures.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62362 08/22/22 05:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe

"Rather than making the icons smaller, create stacks or folders of related icons by dragging and dropping the icons on one another
Not cray about that.. they do that on iphone too.... just like to see all apps in front of me now... dont want dig into a folder.... I don't have as many as you.... REmember drag thing 3rd party dock.. so nice.. gone now..

" never noticed the dots at the bottom of a Launchpad screen that kevs just mentioned, and clicking on the grayed out one revealed my missing apps"

Good news for Artie.

But either of you know how one can advance the page without mousing to the next page? With normal keyboard? Anyway though don't think use as too many pages, ie, Joe says can't get them tighter together..

Just tested making folder, ok but call two in row productivity..Can rename?

kevs #62363 08/22/22 06:36 PM

...either of you know how one can advance the page without mousing to the next page? With normal keyboard?
command-left/right arrow works for me.

(Thanks for mentioning those dots! smile )

artie505 #62364 08/22/22 06:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Got it ARtie thanks. Is there a way to alphabetize it all if you decide you want that?

kevs #62365 08/22/22 07:00 PM

Is there a way to alphabetize it all if you decide you want that?
If you hold down the option key, the icons "wiggle," and while they're wiggling you can drag them around.

artie505 #62366 08/22/22 07:53 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I mean is there an alphabetize quickly option?

kevs #62367 08/22/22 08:15 PM

Just tested making folder, ok but call two in row productivity..Can rename?

Open the folder then click on the name and type your new folder name.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #62368 08/22/22 08:25 PM

Is there a way to alphabetize it all if you decide you want that?
If you hold down the option key, the icons "wiggle," and while they're wiggling you can drag them around.

Or just click and hold on either a folder or app icon and all of the folders and icons within the folders will start to wiggle around and can be moved to a new location.

TIP: If you are moving an icon into a folder at the right end of a row of folders there is a tendency for the folder to move out of the way, so I will move the folder one position to the left before adding a new app icon and then the folder will stay in place.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #62369 08/22/22 09:03 PM

I mean is there an alphabetize quickly option?
Dream on! wink

Seriously, though, I imagine that if there's a way to alphabetize, it would be default.

I wonder what sort of algorithm places those icons? Judging from my screen, it certainly has nothing to do with usage patterns.

artie505 #62370 08/22/22 10:17 PM

Seriously, though, I imagine that if there's a way to alphabetize, it would be default.

I wonder what sort of algorithm places those icons? Judging from my screen, it certainly has nothing to do with usage patterns.

• Open Launchpad, click on the screen anywhere outside a folder or icon, and a search bar will appear at the top of the page, which makes alphabetic sorting unnecessary.
  • The iOS/iPadOS equivalent of Launchpad, App Library, does sort automatically, by application type, and I would not be surprised if "App Library" appeared in Ventura's successor.
  • High production professionals generally prefer sorting by project, which is why Monterey and Ventura have a setting in System Preferences > Dock & Menu to “Show recent applications on the menu bar”.

My point is there is an almost infinite variety of workflows and personal organizational preferences. Launchpad is only one of the several alternatives built into macOS, and is relatively unique in permitting users to create the specific App organization that works for them at the nominal cost of some work on their part.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62371 08/23/22 12:26 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I''ve been creating folders and wiped out... Maybe continue later.

Drag thing was 100x better than Launch Bar.

I found this (couple years ago) since it went out of business and been going good: I think better than Launchbar:

https://stuntsoftware.com/overflow/

All on one nice easy page, see everything in front eyes...

Last edited by kevs; 08/23/22 12:27 AM.
artie505 #62372 08/23/22 09:36 AM

I use Find Any File in root mode, and I've always assumed that it's finding everything, but a while back, Jon posted that EasyFind found items that FAF missed. I expect to uninstall Excel (in favor of Numbers frown ) soon, and when I do, I'll d/l EF and compare it results with those of FAF.
I've uninstalled Excel 2016 - drag to trash/no more uninstaller - and Find Any File and EasyFind returned identical results when I searched for remnants.

However, since TinkerTool System couldn't deal with Excel (because of its having been installed by an installer), I did a complete (in this context) test with DaisyDisk, and here are my results. (The second screenshot should obviously be the final one.)

As you can see,
  • with identical rules, Find Any File and EasyFind (FAF runs faster than EF.) again returned identical search results,
  • AppCleaner, which has only a default mode, returned fewer results, but it found the actual app, which lives in a separate container from the other items on its list, and
  • TinkerTool System, following the displayed rule, returned even fewer results, but it also found the app itself.

Conclusion: Based upon my experience, the most complete uninstalls are accomplished by searching for both app and dev names with either FAF or EF. The results they return are totally unambiguous in virtually all instances, the exceptions being things such as Microsoft Office which plant files all over your OS.

joemikeb #62373 08/23/22 09:50 AM

Open Launchpad, click on the screen anywhere outside a folder or icon, and a search bar will appear at the top of the page, which makes alphabetic sorting unnecessary.
...but for many users is just an unappealing way of doing business. (In my Monterey, the search bar is present, albeit inert, by default, and can be activated by either command-F or clicking in the field.)

...which is why Monterey and Ventura have a setting in System Preferences > Dock & Menu to “Show recent applications on the menu bar”.
I can't find that setting in Monterey. A screenshot will be appreciated.

artie505 #62374 08/23/22 03:36 PM

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62375 08/23/22 06:40 PM

Thanks, I've got no idea how I missed it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard