for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The torture of 3rd party monitors
kevs #62261 08/06/22 04:55 PM

The normal DriveDX installation includes the utility necessary to access S.M.A.R.T. on USB drives, which is why I suggested re-installing DriveDX. As I recall, the utility is installed either as part of the initial install or the first time DriveDX is launched.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62262 08/06/22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
The normal DriveDX installation includes the utility necessary to access S.M.A.R.T. on USB drives, which is why I suggested re-installing DriveDX. As I recall, the utility is installed either as part of the initial install or the first time DriveDX is launched.
And yet, as I've said, DriveDx didn't see my external until after I installed SATSMARTDriver independently.

So, since kevs has already trashed and reinstalled DDx with no joy, it seems logical for him to try the independent installation.

And Github is hardly an "unknown" site.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62263 08/06/22 05:50 PM

However, DriveDx had no problem reading any of the USB drives on my Systems and IIRC there was a note the USB "driver" was now compatible with Apple Silicon.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62264 08/06/22 06:29 PM

However, DriveDx had no problem reading any of the USB drives on my Systems and IIRC there was a note the USB "driver" was now compatible with Apple Silicon.
None of which contributes anything towards curing kevs's problem, while reinstalling the driver may.

According to https://github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver, the driver hasn't been updated in 8 years, so I'm not sure what "now compatible with Apple Silicon" means.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62265 08/06/22 07:11 PM

Since DriveDX was working on keys' iMac and is not working on keys' M1 Mac mini, I am going under the assumption that the USB S.M.A.R.T. driver either did not survive the migration process or is incompatible with M1 Macs. From items noted when I installed DriveDX on an M1 Mac I do know there were at least some compatibility issues in the USB S.M.A.R.T. driver that were resolved in the USB S.M.A.R.T. driver version included in the DriveDX download and part of the DriveDX installation process. I do not know how to re-initiate the driver install but, from personal experience, I know that the version previously installed on my M1 Mac mini and currently running on my Mac Studio does work. There certainly could be no harm in installing the stand-alone driver, I am confident it is the likely progenitor of the driver in DriveDX but, without knowing more about the internals of both and the issues DriveDX had to overcome, I don't know if the version you are recommending is compatible with both DriveDx and M1. I do know the version in DriveDX is compatible. My question is, why are you opposed to reinstalling DriveDX?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62266 08/06/22 07:46 PM

My question is, why are you opposed to reinstalling DriveDX?
I've never expressed opposition to kevs's reinstalling DriveDx.

I'm suggesting reinstalling the driver because he's already reinstalled DDx with no joy (See post #62258), and reinstalling certainly can't "break" DDx any more than it's broken at the moment.

joemikeb #62267 08/06/22 08:18 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, while waiting for your reply, I trashed, dRive X, download it from their site and installed it, and it still not work on externals, Works on the internal though .

Ok just tested an older small portable external on new M1 macbook air. This was coming up fine DRive X on 27" imac, but now said needed new driver. so download that -- did not help. Now says that external does not have smart support (though did work fine before on 27" ) very weird.

Ok now testing a new external Seagate 8TB just bought month ago, on the M1 Macbook Air
Ok again if offers on Macbook Air (WHICH IS DOES NOT ON THE MINI), to download a Smart Drive, and on the new SEagate, just bought, does not work, still says (INCORRECTLY) in grey, smart status not support, But in fact, both those hardrives do have smart status, because they were reading fine on 27" with drive X! just last week, exasperating.

PS JOE
BTW getting a 10 sec beachball every time bring up a generic finder window ; never got that with 27" any idea on that?

kevs #62268 08/06/22 10:25 PM

Key's it appears that the USB S.M.A.R.T. driver is not working on your machine. It is not a problem with the drives, they report S.M.A.R.T. but USB has to be "tricked" into carrying the S.M.A.R.T. data. I know that there is a version of the driver that works on M1 Macs because it is working perfectly on mine under both Monterey and Ventura. DriveDX's developer is not necessarily the quickest responder, but he does respond. Fill out the support request (there is a different page for other questions) being sure to fill in all the blanks and carefully describe the situation, don't forget to mention you migrated from an Intel iMac installation, and I am confident they will get back to you with a solution.

As to the 10 second finder window I have not experienced that, but strictly as a trial, try physically unplugging your external drives, then reboot and see if it speeds up.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/06/22 10:30 PM. Reason: trial not trail

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62270 08/06/22 11:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe! thanks for the form for DRive X, just been sending to the email -- support@ binary fruit, .. never respondes so maybe form do better.

Just posted a new thread on frustrations with beachballs. But this is even with command N for general finder, so that is not external right? Baffling no? Beachballs all time...10 sec.. have not seen one in years.

kevs #62272 08/07/22 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Joe! thanks for the form for DRive X, just been sending to the email -- support@ binary fruit, .. never respondes so maybe form do better.

Hopefully. I did contact them once and got an immediate reply, but it is a small shop and stuff happens.

Originally Posted by keys
Just posted a new thread on frustrations with beachballs. But this is even with command N for general finder, so that is not external right? Baffling no? Beachballs all time...10 sec.. have not seen one in years.

Beach balls are not normal, but the SSpotlight index has to be rebuilt, and potentially a new Time Machine base set, and that can take time. But that should settle down within a day or two. If it doesn’t please try disconnecting your external drives and re-booting to see if the problem disappears. I wouldn’t take long and might point to a solution.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62289 08/13/22 02:14 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

kevs #62309 08/16/22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
PA279CV ASUS Ira, yes, let me know what think.. Seem more robust than LG. Much better swivels and turns.. worth extra $ think.. Lets see...

So, have you had time to decide if you like this monitor?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #62311 08/16/22 06:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes Ira, better than imac 27" if only for fact that it turns left right. Love that as in room I watch tV with too in different part room than sit . With Apple I would do that, but less elegant, as had to physically turn whole thing, no swivel.

For color & sharpness, fine.. maybe bit less as 4k, but negligible.

Better than LG for aforementioned swivels, and also has buttons in front, LG more cumbersome buttons.

Brightness F!/ F2 keys not working so sent email in about that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard