FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: iPhone battery losing charge
joemikeb #62215 07/30/22 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Music will accept, store, and play anything that is supported by QuickTime Player. QuickTime is reputed to be one of the most universal players, but within the supported formats you may find a given tune that is incompatible, commonly due to DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection. For reasons besides DRM, the recommended solution is converting the tune to another format using a third-party converter app.

The formats and codecs supported by QuickTime are:
  • Video file formats: QuickTime Movie (.mov), MPEG-4(.mp4, .m4v), MPEG-2 (OS X Lion or later), MPEG-1, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AVCHD (OS X Mountain Lion or later), AVI (Motion JPEG only), DV
  • Video codecs: MPEG-2 (OS X Lion or later), MPEG-4 (Part 2), H.264, H.263, H.261
  • Audio file formats: iTunes Audio (.m4a, .m4b, .m4p), MP3, Core Audio (.caf), AIFF, AU, SD2, WAV, SND, AMR
  • Audio Codecs: AAC (MPEG-4 Audio), HE-AAC, Apple Lossless, MP3

Submissions to the Apple Music store must meet these requirements

Tunes on the Apple Music Store (nee. iTunes Store) I believe are MP4 or in some cases Apple Lossless with variations specific to the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.
There's no issue with my music being in an unPLAYable format, the issue is with its being in a format that's unrecognizable by either the iTunes Store or the on-line database from which metadata is d/l'ed.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62216 07/30/22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
There's no issue with my music being in an unplayable format, the issue is with its being in a format that's unrecognizable by either the iTunes Store or the on-line database from which metadata is d/l'ed.

So, the only issue is the metadata? I am not sure if it is stilled called a store, but the fact a format is not recognized by Apple's Music Library, does not prevent you from entering a tune in your Music Library and sharing it with other devices or making a CD with that content. But you will have to enter the metadata manually.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62225 08/01/22 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
There's no issue with my music being in an unplayable format, the issue is with its being in a format that's unrecognizable by either the iTunes Store or the on-line database from which metadata is d/l'ed.

So, the only issue is the metadata? I am not sure if it is stilled called a store, but the fact a format is not recognized by Apple's Music Library, does not prevent you from entering a tune in your Music Library and sharing it with other devices or making a CD with that content. But you will have to enter the metadata manually.
And I have, indeed, spent MANY hours entering metadata by hand.

But I was also referring to (if I understand you) some of your music not being stored in the cloud, but being linked to the iTunes Store instead, which is an impossibility in my case, because the hand-entered metadata is obviously lacking some sort of identifying info.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62231 08/01/22 05:04 PM

But I was also referring to (if I understand you) some of your music not being stored in the cloud, but being linked to the iTunes Store instead, which is an impossibility in my case, because the hand-entered metadata is obviously lacking some sort of identifying info.

My Music Library is on my iCloud disk which is mirrored on my Mac, my iPhone, iPad, server, and two Apple TVs. The bulk of consists primarily of links to “tunes” that are physically stored in Apple's Music Library (and are not counted against my iCloud Drive space allocation) but there are tunes, mostly transcriptions of out of print Dave Brubeck's work, that are not found in Apple's Music Library which are stored as part of my Music Library on iCloud (and count against my iCloud Drive limit). I mostly stream the tunes from iCloud, but for various reasons I may download and store selected playlists, albums, tunes to one or more of my devices, so they can be played without an internet connection. EXCEPTION: any tune I play on my Apple Watch must be physically downloaded first to my iPhone and then copied to the Apple Watch for playing.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard