Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: iPhone battery losing charge
plantsower #62176 07/27/22 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
There is no sync in Music General on my Mac. Music Settings on Mac

What can I say? It has probably been 10 or 15 years since I last changed that setting. It is there in Monterey (the screenshot is Monterey) and Ventura (I just double-checked) so it must be somewhere else in Catalina. I vaguely remember Music as one of the Apps listed under System Preferences > iCloud for synchronization? Hopefully, someone else, who is still running Catalina or has better recall than I do, will chime in.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62180 07/27/22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
There is no sync in Music General on my Mac. Music Settings on Mac

What can I say? It has probably been 10 or 15 years since I last changed that setting. It is there in Monterey (the screenshot is Monterey) and Ventura (I just double-checked) so it must be somewhere else in Catalina. I vaguely remember Music as one of the Apps listed under System Preferences > iCloud for synchronization? Hopefully, someone else, who is still running Catalina or has better recall than I do, will chime in.
My iTunes > Prefs > General in Monterey is the same as Rita's in Catalina. Your pref is apparently a "holdover" from a previous incarnation of OS X/macOS.

But... If Rita were to click on the "?" in the lower left corner of her pref pane she'd probably find this:
Originally Posted by Apple
Option: Sync Library
Description: Access your music library on this computer from all your synced devices.
This option is only available if you’re signed in as a subscriber to Apple Music or iTunes Match.

I wonder if it impacts on the question I asked in my last post?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62182 07/27/22 09:24 PM
OP Offline

But... If Rita were to click on the "?" in the lower left corner of her pref pane she'd probably find this:
Description: Access your music library on this computer from all your synced devices.
This option is only available if you’re signed in as a subscriber to Apple Music or iTunes Match.

I tried what you said above. I think we have to pay to subscribe to Apple Music (which I won't). I have to update to use iTunes Match (not ready to do that). I will just keep doing what I am doing until I have no choice but to update. frown

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #62183 07/27/22 09:26 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. I tried, but it didn't work. I don't want to pay to use Apple Music and nothing would sync. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks for your response.

Originally Posted by Ira L
Yes, assuming I use the Music app. I don't. I get my music off of YouTube. I find my mac more user friendly for things like that so I download what I want and then transfer it to my iPhone.

Why are you using Air Drop to send the Music to your phone? confused

Assuming it started out in Music on your Mac and both your Mac and iPhone are on the same Apple ID, the tunes should automatically be available in Music on your iPhone. Any tunes I add to My entire music Library can be played on any of my Apple devices, including the HomePods and Apple TV, the only requirement being they must be logged onto the same Apple ID. If I don't want to stream the music from iCloud for some reason, I can always physically download it in Music on the other devices when I have a Wi-Fi connection. The Apple Watch is the only device that requires the tunes to be physically downloaded. It sounds as if you are trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. (pun unintended)

If the YouTube music you download can be played on the Mac or iPhone, then it can be imported to the Music library on the Mac, after which it can be automatically transferred to the iPhone as joemikeb suggests above. That would keep it out of your Photo app.

I might guess that the YouTube music is actually a music video, which is why they are going to the Photo app on your phone. But the Music app on the Mac can import music videos too, so give it a try either way.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62184 07/27/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
My iTunes > Prefs > General in Monterey is the same as Rita's in Catalina. Your pref is apparently a "holdover" from a previous incarnation of OS X/macOS.

More likely I have the preference because I AM subscribed to Apple+ which includes Apple Music and iTunes Match and all my systems are either on the same Apple ID or a Family account. I would have never thought about that. Thanks for suggesting the explanation.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62185 07/28/22 01:54 AM

The two pref panes are really different. Seems like much new functionality.

I guess the syncing has something to do with why your pane doesn't include the "Show Apple Music" option? (I've lost track of whether your music is in the cloud, on your Mac, or some combination of both.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62186 07/28/22 01:59 AM
OP Offline

Are you talking to me or Joe? My icloud is filled up and I don't use it. My music is on my desktop and in the Photo App on my iPhone. My iPhone 7 only has iTunes, not Apple Music.

I guess the syncing has something to do with why your pane doesn't include the "Show Apple Music" option? (I've lost track of whether your music is in the cloud, on your Mac, or some combination of both.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62187 07/28/22 02:35 AM

My post was addressed to joemike.

artie505 #62188 07/28/22 02:45 AM
OP Offline

OK, thanks.

My post was addressed to joemike.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62189 07/28/22 03:03 AM

I am sticking to my premise, the difference is iTunes match or Apple Music related. I have the same Music > Preferences panel I posted the screenshot an M1 Mac mini and an Intel Mac mini both running Music 4.2.4.3 under Monterey 12.4. The only difference in Music 1.3.0.90 on the Studio running macOS 13.0 (Ventura). is the panel is call Settings rather than Preferences, but it is otherwise identical. The Studio and Intel Mac mini are on the same Apple ID and the M1 Mac mini is on a family account, so all have Apple+.

It was also interesting to note the correspondence between the Music and OS version numbers. Music 1.2.4.x on macOS 12.4 and Music 1.3.0.x on macOS 13.0. It suggests that Music, or at least some elements of Music, are more deeply embedded in macOS than I had previously realized.

As to the location of the tunes in my Music Library, there are physical copies of some on my Mac, others on my iPad, and few on my iPhone, and a very few on my Apple Watch, but all are are available in the cloud or the Music store Library. CDs and other tunes I have copied and placed in the Music Library were automatically to the cloud or if the same version of the tune is available in the Music store that copy was linked to my Library rather than using disk space to store another, probably inferior copy. Tunes purchased from the iTunes store are always linked to the iTunes store rather then creating a physical copy in iCloud, but can easily and quickly be downloaded and stored on my device, if I wish.

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #62190 07/28/22 10:15 AM

I'm confused. If the free version doesn't prevent charging while sleeping or off, what does it do, just prevent it while it's in use? I guess I could d/l that and just disable it at night.

You and others may be interested in AlDente.

Since I virtually never use my battery, I use AlDente to maintain a 50% charge, in keeping with Apple's guidance for long term storage.

The free version doesn't prevent the battery from charging while your Mac is sleeping or off. (Annual and lifetime licenses for the Pro version are available for $10 and $21, respectively.)
Yep, it prevents charging only when the Mac is in use, which works fine for me, because I never turn my MBP off and pretty much never even sleep it. Even when I'm not using it I've got either music or white noise running more or less 24/7/365.

Disabling AlDente won't accomplish anything, because your battery will charge if it's disabled.

The free version works for me only because of my habits.

plantsower #62191 07/28/22 10:23 AM

I tried what you said above. I think we have to pay to subscribe to Apple Music (which I won't). I have to update to use iTunes Match (not ready to do that). I will just keep doing what I am doing until I have no choice but to update. frown
Both Apple Music and iTunes Match are paid services...a deal breaker for me.

artie505 #62192 07/28/22 02:52 PM
OP Offline

You know you hear difference scenarios all the time about the batteries. I remember reading that it's not good to never turn it off or sleep. You do it and don't seems to have problems. I guess it's what we want to believe works and do that. Like you said, it's because of your habits. I want to do what's best, but there are too many choices.

I'm confused. If the free version doesn't prevent charging while sleeping or off, what does it do, just prevent it while it's in use? I guess I could d/l that and just disable it at night.

You and others may be interested in AlDente.

Since I virtually never use my battery, I use AlDente to maintain a 50% charge, in keeping with Apple's guidance for long term storage.

The free version doesn't prevent the battery from charging while your Mac is sleeping or off. (Annual and lifetime licenses for the Pro version are available for $10 and $21, respectively.)
Yep, it prevents charging only when the Mac is in use, which works fine for me, because I never turn my MBP off and pretty much never even sleep it. Even when I'm not using it I've got either music or white noise running more or less 24/7/365.

Disabling AlDente won't accomplish anything, because your battery will charge if it's disabled.

The free version works for me only because of my habits.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62193 07/28/22 02:56 PM
OP Offline

Me, too. There's too much free stuff out there.

Both Apple Music and iTunes Match are paid services...a deal breaker for me. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62195 07/28/22 03:51 PM

You know you hear difference scenarios all the time about the batteries. I remember reading that it's not good to never turn it off or sleep. You do it and don't seems to have problems. I guess it's what we want to believe works and do that. Like you said, it's because of your habits. I want to do what's best, but there are too many choices.

A major cause of confusion is the battery technology continues to evolve, and best practices for one battery technology may be counter-productive on another. Since we are all too human and not battery engineers, it is easy to lose track of what is best for the batteries we have now. Apple's “optimized charging” is an attempt on their part to apply some AI to the process, but it is dependent on the user keeping a regular, but not particular, charging cycle.

To take full advantage of “optimized charging”…
  1. DON'T LEAVE THE DEVICE ON CHARGE ALL DAY
  2. Charge your device on a regular cycle, starting and ending about the same time each day.

That's all there is to it. No third-party apps, no regular “exercising” the battery – just a good habit to cultivate.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #62197 07/28/22 04:53 PM

Don't forget that for the automatic sync to happen on the iPhone Settings > Music must be set ON and on your Mac: Music > Settings > General must have "Sync Library" checked.
This discussion has gotten me thinking...

I've got around 180 GB of music, none of which either came from the iTunes Store or is in a format recognizable by by the Store, and I've been wondering if I can access it on my iPhone without uploading it to the Cloud?

I'm curious what format is not recognizable by iTunes. But to answer your question, you should be able to transfer music to your iPhone by connecting it to your Mac, open the Music app and it will appear in the sidebar. You can then drag and drop tracks into the iPhone. Ahh, but this presumes that the tracks are in the Music app to begin with, which may not be true in your situation. In that case, there are numerous applications (not free) that can perform the transfer independently of the Music app.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #62200 07/28/22 06:01 PM
OP Offline

1. I think it would be helpful if Apple would make a chart showing the different products and which rules applied to those products as far as protecting the battery.

2. I wish I could have a regular schedule in recharging my battery, but it won't work that way for me. I left it off all night last night and wasn't using it, and in the morning it still had a good enough charge to wait to recharge. But it's not always that way, so I have to recharge at different times depending on my usage and how much battery power I still have.

A major cause of confusion is the battery technology continues to evolve, and best practices for one battery technology may be counter-productive on another. Since we are all too human and not battery engineers, it is easy to lose track of what is best for the batteries we have now. Apple's “optimized charging” is an attempt on their part to apply some AI to the process, but it is dependent on the user keeping a regular, but not particular, charging cycle.

To take full advantage of “optimized charging”…
  1. DON'T LEAVE THE DEVICE ON CHARGE ALL DAY
  2. Charge your device on a regular cycle, starting and ending about the same time each day.

That's all there is to it. No third-party apps, no regular “exercising” the battery – just a good habit to cultivate.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62202 07/28/22 09:27 PM

1. I think it would be helpful if Apple would make a chart showing the different products and which rules applied to those products as far as protecting the battery.

That would be quite an undertaking and likely require frequent updates and perhaps unnecessary, at least in iPhone 11 and later — see PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS below.

2. I wish I could have a regular schedule in recharging my battery, but it won't work that way for me. I left it off all night last night and wasn't using it, and in the morning it still had a good enough charge to wait to recharge. But it's not always that way, so I have to recharge at different times depending on my usage and how much battery power I still have.

The idea is to recharge regularly, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF CHARGE. My state of charge seldom goes below 60 or 70% by the time I put it on the charger at night. By the same token it seldom held at 100% of charge over a few minutes before it is removed from the charger and begins discharging.

PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS

The Battery panel iOS 16 Settings offers a far more complete picture of batter use over the last 24 hours or the last 10 days information about overall battery health, and more information on how Apple manages battery health. While that doesn't help you now, it is reassuring to know Apple is working on strategies to extend battery longevity, so maybe you won't need to worry about it as much in the future. I have never been fixated on battery life or longevity, but every time I have installed an iOS beta in the past, I have noticed significantly shorter battery life until the second or even third public beta. This is the first public beta of iOS 16 and, if anything, my battery life is as good as I if not better than I was getting with the last releases of iOS 15. NOTE: that is based on my impression and I cannot prove it with experimental facts.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/28/22 09:32 PM. Reason: correction

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62204 07/28/22 10:28 PM
OP Offline

The idea is to recharge regularly, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF CHARGE. My state of charge seldom goes below 60 or 70% by the time I put it on the charger at night. By the same token it seldom held at 100% of charge over a few minutes before it is removed from the charger and begins discharging.

That simplifies it.

PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS

This is the first public beta of iOS 16 and, if anything, my battery life is as good as I if not better than I was getting with the last releases of iOS 15. NOTE: that is based on my impression and I cannot prove it with experimental facts. [/quote]

Good to hear if I ever get up that high in iPhones. I'm always several years behind as I get my family's hand-me-downs, so I've happily never had to pay for an iPhone!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62206 07/29/22 09:55 AM

I don't need a laptop for travel or even just moving around my house. I've got one strictly because of space considerations, and it just sits in its spot and runs on adaptor power 100% of the time.

For years, Apple's guidance for never used batteries was to run them down once a month, but that guidance disappeared a few years back and was ever replaced. (I've asked a coupl'a Apple techs for guidance, and their response has been "I run my battery down once a month," but when I ask what Apple says to do, they've been at a loss.) I have had one battery swell up on me while following that guidance, but it was only one of six and encompassed many years of use.

For a while, I was running my battery down 20% or so each day, which was just burning up battery life for no particularly good reason, so when I found AlDente I decided to take the position - don't know if it's a correct one, but it seems reasonable - that my NEVER using my battery was akin to long term storage (even though my MBP is always plugged in), and keep a perpetual 50% charge as per Apple's guidance.

Am I doing what's best for my MBP? I dunno, nor do I think there's any way to find out definitively other than "the hard way," and whatever may actually happen won't even necessarily be definitive. tongue

Ira L #62207 07/29/22 10:27 AM

I've got around 180 GB of music, none of which either came from the iTunes Store or is in a format recognizable by by the Store, and I've been wondering if I can access it on my iPhone without uploading it to the Cloud?

I'm curious what format is not recognizable by iTunes. But to answer your question, you should be able to transfer music to your iPhone by connecting it to your Mac, open the Music app and it will appear in the sidebar. You can then drag and drop tracks into the iPhone. Ahh, but this presumes that the tracks are in the Music app to begin with, which may not be true in your situation.
Actually, I've got zero experience with the iTunes Store. I'm extrapolating from my experience with the source Music.app uses to populate the details/metadata of imported CDs.

In order for music to be recognizable by that source, and, accordingly, I believe, by the iTunes Store, it must be in CD format, including whatever metadata relates to the disc itself, but virtually none of my music is from ripped CDs. It's all recorded from the radio and Internet and is unrecognizable by on-line databases.

My music is all in Music, so I could drag it to my iPhone, but I've got 180 GB of music and only 5 or so GB of space on my phone, hence my question about syncing.

artie505 #62209 07/29/22 03:36 PM
OP Offline

OK, then.

I don't need a laptop for travel or even just moving around my house. I've got one strictly because of space considerations, and it just sits in its spot and runs on adaptor power 100% of the time.

For years, Apple's guidance for never used batteries was to run them down once a month, but that guidance disappeared a few years back and was ever replaced. (I've asked a coupl'a Apple techs for guidance, and their response has been "I run my battery down once a month," but when I ask what Apple says to do, they've been at a loss.) I have had one battery swell up on me while following that guidance, but it was only one of six and encompassed many years of use.

For a while, I was running my battery down 20% or so each day, which was just burning up battery life for no particularly good reason, so when I found AlDente I decided to take the position - don't know if it's a correct one, but it seems reasonable - that my NEVER using my battery was akin to long term storage (even though my MBP is always plugged in), and keep a perpetual 50% charge as per Apple's guidance.

Am I doing what's best for my MBP? I dunno, nor do I think there's any way to find out definitively other than "the hard way," and whatever may actually happen won't even necessarily be definitive. tongue

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62210 07/29/22 04:23 PM

I've got around 180 GB of music, none of which either came from the iTunes Store or is in a format recognizable by by the Store, and I've been wonderin[/b]g if I can access it on my iPhone without uploading it to the Cloud?

I'm curious what format is not recognizable by iTunes.<snip>

<snip>
In order for music to be recognizable by that source, and, accordingly, I believe, by the iTunes Store, it must be in CD format, including whatever metadata relates to the disc itself, <snip>.

My music is all in Music, so I could drag it to my iPhone, but I've got 180 GB of music and only 5 or so GB of space on my phone, hence my question about syncing.

Music will accept, store, and play anything that is supported by QuickTime Player. QuickTime is reputed to be one of the most universal players, but within the supported formats you may find a given tune that is incompatible, commonly due to DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection. For reasons besides DRM, the recommended solution is converting the tune to another format using a third-party converter app.

The formats and codecs supported by QuickTime are:
  • [b]Video file formats: QuickTime Movie (.mov), MPEG-4(.mp4, .m4v), MPEG-2 (OS X Lion or later), MPEG-1, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AVCHD (OS X Mountain Lion or later), AVI (Motion JPEG only), DV
  • Video codecs: MPEG-2 (OS X Lion or later), MPEG-4 (Part 2), H.264, H.263, H.261
  • Audio file formats: iTunes Audio (.m4a, .m4b, .m4p), MP3, Core Audio (.caf), AIFF, AU, SD2, WAV, SND, AMR
  • Audio Codecs: AAC (MPEG-4 Audio), HE-AAC, Apple Lossless, MP3

Submissions to the Apple Music store must meet these requirements

Tunes on the Apple Music Store (nee. iTunes Store) I believe are MP4 or in some cases Apple Lossless with variations specific to the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/29/22 04:30 PM. Reason: format error

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #62212 07/29/22 05:58 PM

I've got around 180 GB of music, none of which either came from the iTunes Store or is in a format recognizable by by the Store, and I've been wondering if I can access it on my iPhone without uploading it to the Cloud? My music is all in Music, so I could drag it to my iPhone, but I've got 180 GB of music and only 5 or so GB of space on my phone, hence my question about syncing.

Unless you selectively drag and drop 5 GB of music onto your iPhone, all 180 GB has to be somewhere that is shared by phone and Mac. That would be some sort of Cloud storage. If you did sync your iPhone and Music Library via iCloud for example, all 180 GB should show on your iPhone as being available, but not downloaded. You can still play any of it or download (up to 5 GB) what you want.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #62213 07/29/22 06:22 PM

...all 180 GB has to be somewhere that is shared by phone and Mac. That would be some sort of Cloud storage. If you did sync your iPhone and Music Library via iCloud for example, all 180 GB should show on your iPhone as being available, but not downloaded. You can still play any of it or download (up to 5 GB) what you want.
Thanks, but syncing has already been discussed and discarded as an option earlier in this thread, and my remaining option, i.e., to upload my entire 180 GB to the Cloud is a non-starter for various reasons.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard