An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Texts not syncing between iPhone and Mac (AGAIN)!
#62138 07/26/22 04:06 AM
OP Offline

Today I had my iPhone at the cell place because of my battery problems. The repair guy was looking at different things on my phone trying to decide what might be taking the charge down. I wonder if he changed something. Because now the texts on my iPhone don't show up on my Mac and vice versa. I rebooted the Mac and the iPhone. I turned the iMessage app on and off on both devices. I signed out on both devices and back in. I don't know what else I can do.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Texts not syncing between iPhone and Mac (AGAIN)!
plantsower #62140 07/26/22 03:53 PM

There are two message systems iMessage and MMS, if the text was from another Apple user it should be synched by default, however with telephone company MMS messages syncing does not automatically occur. A feature of Ventura and iOS/iPadOS 16 is the ability to sync both iMessages and MMS texts between devices and another setting has been added in Settings > Messages > Text Message to enable this.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/26/22 04:02 PM. Reason: rewrite

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62143 07/26/22 05:06 PM
OP Offline

Yes, I guess it's probably the non-Apple texts that don't always get through, though mostly they do. Sometimes I can't even send a text to a non-Apple user. Same person I always text everyday. I don't get it. I end up emailing her. And sometimes it says it can't be sent via text, but it sends anyway and she tells me she got it even though I thought I had to email her. I don't get that either. Anyway, I don't have Ventura so it's a moot point. Thank you though, Joe.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
There are two message systems iMessage and MMS, if the text was from another Apple user it should be synched by default, however with telephone company MMS messages syncing does not automatically occur. A feature of Ventura and iOS/iPadOS 16 is the ability to sync both iMessages and MMS texts between devices and another setting has been added in Settings > Messages > Text Message to enable this.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62219 07/31/22 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Yes, I guess it's probably the non-Apple texts that don't always get through, though mostly they do. Sometimes I can't even send a text to a non-Apple user. Same person I always text everyday. I don't get it. I end up emailing her. And sometimes it says it can't be sent via text, but it sends anyway and she tells me she got it even though I thought I had to email her. I don't get that either. Anyway, I don't have Ventura so it's a moot point. Thank you though, Joe.

Apple's Message (née. iMessage) has always been responsible for identifying if a text message addressees were iMessage capable or not and appropriately routing it either through Apple's own internet-based system or the relatively primitive SMS/MMS telephone networks. As a result, iMessages would report when messages were delivered and opened, and see to it messages were synchronized among all the devices on the same Apple ID. In MacOS 13 (Ventura), iOS 16, and iPadOS 16, in so far as the limitations of the SMS/MMS system permit, Apple is using their servers to handle SMS/MMS traffic instead of dismissing them to the telephone network, thereby providing Apple users essentially the same experience for both iMessage and SMS/MMS traffic. Moreover, Apple provides the ability to cancel or edit messages, within I believe it is ten seconds of the message being sent.

In case you wonder what benefit, Apple gets out of this? It helps sell more Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Watches.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62220 07/31/22 11:10 PM
OP Offline

In MacOS 13 (Ventura), iOS 16, and iPadOS 16, in so far as the limitations of the SMS/MMS system permit, Apple is using their servers to handle SMS/MMS traffic instead of dismissing them to the telephone network, thereby providing Apple users essentially the same experience for both iMessage and SMS/MMS traffic. Moreover, Apple provides the ability to cancel or edit messages, within I believe it is ten seconds of the message being sent. Interesting, though I can't move that fast. How about 10 minutes?

In case you wonder what benefit, Apple gets out of this? It helps sell more Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Watches. [/quote] LOL!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62221 07/31/22 11:47 PM

In MacOS 13 (Ventura), iOS 16, and iPadOS 16, in so far as the limitations of the SMS/MMS system permit, Apple is using their servers to handle SMS/MMS traffic instead of dismissing them to the telephone network, thereby providing Apple users essentially the same experience for both iMessage and SMS/MMS traffic. Moreover, Apple provides the ability to cancel or edit messages, within I believe it is ten seconds of the message being sent. Interesting, though I can't move that fast. How about 10 minutes?

I have the same question, but obviously the technology depends on holding the message on the Apple Server before sending it along to the recipient. My guess is: Apple feels 10 seconds is the maximum delay senders will tolerate, and it does provide a window, albeit a narrow window, of time to cancel or edit the text.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62222 08/01/22 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
...in so far as the limitations of the SMS/MMS system permit, Apple is using their servers to handle SMS/MMS traffic instead of dismissing them to the telephone network, thereby providing Apple users essentially the same experience for both iMessage and SMS/MMS traffic.
I'm not clear on what that actually means.

It almost sounds like you're saying that we'll be able to text from our Apple devices to non-Apple devices without benefit of the telephone network, but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #62223 08/01/22 03:51 AM
OP Offline

I have the same question, but obviously the technology depends on holding the message on the Apple Server before sending it along to the recipient. My guess is: Apple feels 10 seconds is the maximum delay senders will tolerate, and it does provide a window, albeit a narrow window, of time to cancel or edit the text. [/quote] "How about "Are you sure you want to send this?" Then we can rethink it or give us a choice of how long we want to think about it. Oh well.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62227 08/01/22 03:54 PM

I have the same question, but obviously the technology depends on holding the message on the Apple Server before sending it along to the recipient. My guess is: Apple feels 10 seconds is the maximum delay senders will tolerate, and it does provide a window, albeit a narrow window, of time to cancel or edit the text.
"How about "Are you sure you want to send this?" Then we can rethink it or give us a choice of how long we want to think about it. Oh well. [/quote]

The next iOS upgrade will have a texting feature where you can "take back" the text you just sent or edit it; see here and elsewhere on the Internet. Apparently there will be time limitations on those, like after 15 minutes you can't cancel your text message.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
plantsower #62228 08/01/22 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I'm not clear on what that actually means.

It almost sounds like you're saying that we'll be able to text from our Apple devices to non-Apple devices without benefit of the telephone network, but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking.

SMS/MMS traffic still has to go into the telephone system to reach its intended recipient. There is no practical way around that.

"How about "Are you sure you want to send this?" Then we can rethink it or give us a choice of how long we want to think about it. Oh well.

But that would add one or more extra steps to sending every message, and I, and perhaps most people, would find that unacceptable.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62229 08/01/22 04:57 PM
OP Offline

Yes, but there should be a choice to disable that message or not. We need more choices other than the ones Apple decides to give us.

But that would add one or more extra steps to sending every message, and I, and perhaps most people, would find that unacceptable. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #62230 08/01/22 04:58 PM
OP Offline

That sounds a lot better than 10 seconds which is barely enough time to react.

The next iOS upgrade will have a texting feature where you can "take back" the text you just sent or edit it; see here and elsewhere on the Internet. Apparently there will be time limitations on those, like after 15 minutes you can't cancel your text message. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard