FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
iPhone battery losing charge
#62131 07/25/22 10:47 PM
OP Offline

I recently replaced my iPhone battery. While plugged in sometimes it would lose its charge. I made sure the charge icon showed active charging.

I took it back to the repair shop and was told nothing was wrong with the battery but that I should put my brightness on auto, make sure there are no apps running in the background, and turn off wi-fi and bluetooth if I am not using them. I can see that if it was unplugged but anyway...

I looked at my battery info in settings and it shows which apps are using the most energy. The top one was my photos! It said it was using 99%. My photo app wasn't on and is rarely on, so why would it show that? It's like it's sapping my iPhone energy without being opened!

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: iPhone battery losing charge
plantsower #62134 07/25/22 11:54 PM

Any app that is graphics heavy, like Photos, will necessarily use plenty of resources in the form of CPU cycles, memory, storage, and therefore battery. The battery use records restart any time you restart your iPhone and therefore, can be very misleading. Look at battery usage after you have been using your iPhone a few days without restarting. You will get a far more realistic picture.

TIP: Cellular data uses a lot of battery energy, mus=ch more than Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and unfortunately that use is folded in with the app. Take a long hard look at the apps you allow to use cellular. Disallow cellular data use for any app that can wait until you have a Wi-Fi connection to access the internet. You can always turn cellular data back on, if it is needed in a specific instance. Cellular access is essential for Phone, Message, Maps, and maybe Mail, but you should rigorously justify why any other app should have to justify why it must use cellular data. I limit Photos to Wi-Fi only.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62136 07/26/22 02:05 AM
OP Offline

So, I guess it may be misleading to look at the battery usage of the photo app until I wait a few days after using it. I didn't now about that, so now I will wait.

One weird thing though, I have downloaded podcasts that I listen to at night. When I looked at the screen once or twice, I noticed the photo app slide across the bottom of the screen for some reason. That was weird. Anyway, I will give it time. Thanks, Joe.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Any app that is graphics heavy, like Photos, will necessarily use plenty of resources in the form of CPU cycles, memory, storage, and therefore battery. The battery use records restart any time you restart your iPhone and therefore, can be very misleading. Look at battery usage after you have been using your iPhone a few days without restarting. You will get a far more realistic picture.

TIP: Cellular data uses a lot of battery energy, mus=ch more than Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and unfortunately that use is folded in with the app. Take a long hard look at the apps you allow to use cellular. Disallow cellular data use for any app that can wait until you have a Wi-Fi connection to access the internet. You can always turn cellular data back on, if it is needed in a specific instance. Cellular access is essential for Phone, Message, Maps, and maybe Mail, but you should rigorously justify why any other app should have to justify why it must use cellular data. I limit Photos to Wi-Fi only.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #62137 07/26/22 03:39 AM
OP Offline

OK, I'm doing a head slap. I rarely go into the photo app to see pictures, but I DO open it everyday because that's where all my music is that I send from my Mac to my iphone via AirDrop. I don't think I have a choice about that. It just goes there. But no matter where it goes, it will use a lot of battery power because I play the music almost everyday. Now the mystery is solved about why the photo app uses 99% of my energy.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62139 07/26/22 01:41 PM

Why are you using Air Drop to send the Music to your phone? confused

Assuming it started out in Music on your Mac and both your Mac and iPhone are on the same Apple ID, the tunes should automatically be available in Music on your iPhone. Any tunes I add to My entire music Library can be played on any of my Apple devices, including the HomePods and Apple TV, the only requirement being they must be logged onto the same Apple ID. If I don't want to stream the music from iCloud for some reason, I can always physically download it in Music on the other devices when I have a Wi-Fi connection. The Apple Watch is the only device that requires the tunes to be physically downloaded. It sounds as if you are trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. (pun unintended)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62141 07/26/22 04:56 PM
OP Offline

Yes, assuming I use the Music app. I don't. I get my music off of YouTube. I find my mac more user friendly for things like that so I download what I want and then transfer it to my iPhone.

Assuming it started out in Music on your Mac and both your Mac and iPhone are on the same Apple ID, the tunes should automatically be available in Music on your iPhone. Any tunes I add to My entire music Library can be played on any of my Apple devices, including the HomePods and Apple TV, the only requirement being they must be logged onto the same Apple ID. If I don't want to stream the music from iCloud for some reason, I can always physically download it in Music on the other devices when I have a Wi-Fi connection. The Apple Watch is the only device that requires the tunes to be physically downloaded. It sounds as if you are trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. (pun unintended)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62142 07/26/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Yes, assuming I use the Music app. I don't. I get my music off of YouTube. I find my mac more user friendly for things like that so I download what I want and then transfer it to my iPhone.

If the YouTube music you download can be played on the Mac or iPhone, then it can be imported to the Music library on the Mac, after which it can be automatically transferred to the iPhone as joemikeb suggests above. That would keep it out of your Photo app.

I might guess that the YouTube music is actually a music video, which is why they are going to the Photo app on your phone. But the Music app on the Mac can import music videos too, so give it a try either way.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
1 member likes this: joemikeb
plantsower #62145 07/26/22 05:26 PM

I drive a plug-in electic car (Volkswagen ID.4) so I have learned a LOT about Lithium ion batteries like those used in my car and iPhones, iPads, PowerBooks, etc. Your battery issues encouraged me to take a serious look at Apple's optimized battery charging and connecting the two threads has explained a lot of things about battery longevity in Apple devices that I would like to share with you.

LESSONS LEARNED

1. Charging Lithium-ion batteries to 100% of their capacity reduces battery longevity,
  2. Ideally, you woulds only charge Lithium-ion batteries to 80% of their capacity. (Most EVs have built-in circuitry that can limit charging to 80% capacity)
  3. If you must charge Lithium-ion batteries to 100% you should immediately start using the battery, thereby reducing the charge level. (Apple's optimized charging works on this principle by attempting to control the charge so that it reaches 100% charge about the time it estimates you will start using the device, thereby minimizing the time it is held at 100% charge.)
  4. Over the years there has been a lot written on extending battery longevity based on charging cycles, much of which was not based on lithium-ion technology, and the bulk based on a misunderstanding of the critical factors.

ADVICE

Based on what I have learned from reading and experience (not formal experiments and testing) my advice is...
  1. Don't leave your EV, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc. on charge 24x7.
  2. Take your device off charge and use it as soon as possible after it reaches full charge.
  3. Never discharge EV, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc. 100%
  4. Don't worry about deep discharge cycles or number of cycles, just aim to keep the charge level somewhere near the middle.
  5. Charge/discharge the battery to ~80% of capacity before any extended storage.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62148 07/26/22 06:10 PM

You and others may be interested in AlDente.

Since I virtually never use my battery, I use AlDente to maintain a 50% charge, in keeping with Apple's guidance for long term storage.

The free version doesn't prevent the battery from charging while your Mac is sleeping or off. (Annual and lifetime licenses for the Pro version are available for $10 and $21, respectively.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #62149 07/26/22 06:47 PM
OP Offline

Ira, can you give me steps to do this? What I usually do is download music from YouTube (yes, some is video) via ClipGrab to a desktop folder and then send it to my iPhone via AirDrop. I guess I need another way to do this. Also, the music I already have downloaded, how to I get that to Music? I do have all of it in an album. I've never used Music and I hated iTunes as I didn't find it intuitive, so I just ignored Music.

Originally Posted by Ira L

If the YouTube music you download can be played on the Mac or iPhone, then it can be imported to the Music library on the Mac, after which it can be automatically transferred to the iPhone as joemikeb suggests above. That would keep it out of your Photo app.

I might guess that the YouTube music is actually a music video, which is why they are going to the Photo app on your phone. But the Music app on the Mac can import music videos too, so give it a try either way.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #62150 07/26/22 06:51 PM
OP Offline

I guess I'll try to go by the 80% rule. I never unplug my Mac and probably won't change that habit.
I drive a plug-in electic car (Volkswagen ID.4) so I have learned a LOT about Lithium ion batteries like those used in my car and iPhones, iPads, PowerBooks, etc. Your battery issues encouraged me to take a serious look at Apple's optimized battery charging and connecting the two threads has explained a lot of things about battery longevity in Apple devices that I would like to share with you.

LESSONS LEARNED

1. Charging Lithium-ion batteries to 100% of their capacity reduces battery longevity,
  2. Ideally, you woulds only charge Lithium-ion batteries to 80% of their capacity. (Most EVs have built-in circuitry that can limit charging to 80% capacity)
  3. If you must charge Lithium-ion batteries to 100% you should immediately start using the battery, thereby reducing the charge level. (Apple's optimized charging works on this principle by attempting to control the charge so that it reaches 100% charge about the time it estimates you will start using the device, thereby minimizing the time it is held at 100% charge.)
  4. Over the years there has been a lot written on extending battery longevity based on charging cycles, much of which was not based on lithium-ion technology, and the bulk based on a misunderstanding of the critical factors.

ADVICE

Based on what I have learned from reading and experience (not formal experiments and testing) my advice is...
  1. Don't leave your EV, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc. on charge 24x7.
  2. Take your device off charge and use it as soon as possible after it reaches full charge.
  3. Never discharge EV, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc. 100%
  4. Don't worry about deep discharge cycles or number of cycles, just aim to keep the charge level somewhere near the middle.
  5. Charge/discharge the battery to ~80% of capacity before any extended storage.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #62151 07/26/22 06:53 PM
OP Offline

I'm confused. If the free version doesn't prevent charging while sleeping or off, what does it do, just prevent it while it's in use? I guess I could d/l that and just disable it at night.

Originally Posted by artie505
You and others may be interested in AlDente.

Since I virtually never use my battery, I use AlDente to maintain a 50% charge, in keeping with Apple's guidance for long term storage.

The free version doesn't prevent the battery from charging while your Mac is sleeping or off. (Annual and lifetime licenses for the Pro version are available for $10 and $21, respectively.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62157 07/26/22 08:27 PM

I'm confused. If the free version doesn't prevent charging while sleeping or off, what does it do, just prevent it while it's in use? I guess I could d/l that and just disable it at night.

Like many apps, that is why the free version is free. It is primarily intended as a teaser to get you to buy the "Pro" version, and is only marginally useful at best. Outside open-source projects, I have found few free apps that are truly worthwhile, and make it a point to “contribute” to the developer when I do find one.

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #62158 07/26/22 08:30 PM

I never unplug my Mac and probably won't change that habit.

I did that with a MacBook until the battery swelled and warped the case enough to lock up the keyboard. Fortunately, it was still under AppleCare.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62159 07/26/22 08:40 PM
OP Offline

Wow. I guess I've been lucky then because I've always done this and way past AppleCare coverage.

I never unplug my Mac and probably won't change that habit.

I did that with a MacBook until the battery swelled and warped the case enough to lock up the keyboard. Fortunately, it was still under AppleCare.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #62160 07/26/22 08:46 PM
OP Offline

I don't think I've ever paid for an App but got just when I wanted out of them. ClickGrab is the only YouTube grabbing app that worked for me. I use SuperDuper to back up my hard drive and it works just fine. I used to use OnYx but I don't like it. It has messed with my settings. There are a few more. Malware bytes works for me too.

Like many apps, that is why the free version is free. It is primarily intended as a teaser to get you to buy the "Pro" version, and is only marginally useful at best. Outside open-source projects, I have found few free apps that are truly worthwhile, and make it a point to “contribute” to the developer when I do find one.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62162 07/27/22 04:19 PM

Ira, can you give me steps to do this? What I usually do is download music from YouTube (yes, some is video) via ClipGrab to a desktop folder and then send it to my iPhone via AirDrop. I guess I need another way to do this. Also, the music I already have downloaded, how to I get that to Music? I do have all of it in an album. I've never used Music and I hated iTunes as I didn't find it intuitive, so I just ignored Music.

It should be fairly straightforward. You will have to determine where your downloaded YouTube music is located on your Mac. Once you know that, open the Music app, go to File>Import… and navigate to that location, select the music (you can select multiple items) and choose Open. You will then find the tracks or albums or videos in the Music app. As previously shared by joemikeb, they should transfer to your iPhone "automatically".

As an afterthought, I know videos of the format ".m4v" and music tracks of the format ".m4a" will load into Apple's Music app, but other formats like ".mp3" might also. Check the endings of the file names for your music. If they are different, try importing them anyhow and if they fail to import, try changing the file name.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
plantsower #62164 07/27/22 05:07 PM

I don't think I've ever paid for an App but got just when I wanted out of them. ClickGrab is the only YouTube grabbing app that worked for me. I use SuperDuper to back up my hard drive and it works just fine. I used to use OnYx but I don't like it. It has messed with my settings. There are a few more. Malware bytes works for me too.

It isn't because I am a goody-goody ordained Presbyterian elder, married to a Minister of Word and Sacrament that I take this position, I have always believed “a worker is worthy of their hire” and pay for any software I continue to use. Both SuperDuper and MalwareBytes offer additional features for a price, and in both cases the paid license enables valuable additional functionality. Even OnyX, when faced with the reality of what it costs to develop and maintain widely used software, has moved to a “Donationware” model. If I find a product useful, I want it to stay current and adapt which requires a significant investment in time and money, so I am willing to pay for it; otherwise I will delete it from my system. In the last few years, the financial realities of the market forced some developers to move to a “subscription” model. I resisted as long as I could, but I finally gave in and “subscribed” to some applications, and in most cases it has been worth the cost. I have also cancelled more than a few subscriptions and deleted apps that did not “pan out” or the subscription cost exceeded the product's value to me. But, that is just me.

I would remind you that software developers have to eat too, so examine your conscience carefully before you choose not to donate, contribute, pay for, or subscribe to software you use regularly or rely on. (NOTE: Open-Source developers are often willing to accept a donation of your time writing code, or user documentation, in lieu of cash.)

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/27/22 05:11 PM. Reason: re-phrase a statement

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62165 07/27/22 05:35 PM

Second!

If it's on my Mac, I've either made a donation or paid except for some apps that are specifically posted as FREE.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #62166 07/27/22 05:41 PM

It should be fairly straightforward. You will have to determine where your downloaded YouTube music is located on your Mac. Once you know that, open the Music app, go to File>Import… and navigate to that location, select the music (you can select multiple items) and choose Open. You will then find the tracks or albums or videos in the Music app. As previously shared by joemikeb, they should transfer to your iPhone "automatically".

As an afterthought, I know videos of the format ".m4v" and music tracks of the format ".m4a" will load into Apple's Music app, but other formats like ".mp3" might also. Check the endings of the file names for your music. If they are different, try importing them anyhow and if they fail to import, try changing the file name.

Don't forget that for the automatic sync to happen on the iPhone Settings > Music must be set ON and on your Mac: Music > Settings > General must have "Sync Library" checked.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62169 07/27/22 07:02 PM
OP Offline

You're right, I should donate something when I am happy with an app. Thanks for the reminder. When it's "free" it's just so easy not to pay and not knowing what goes into the development of an app, I haven't even thought about it (until now). smile I did offer to donate something to Malwarebytes because it helped me so much once. They said they didn't have that option. Now they do, so I will rethink and donate something.

It isn't because I am a goody-goody ordained Presbyterian elder, married to a Minister of Word and Sacrament that I take this position, I have always believed “a worker is worthy of their hire” and pay for any software I continue to use. Both SuperDuper and MalwareBytes offer additional features for a price, and in both cases the paid license enables valuable additional functionality. Even OnyX, when faced with the reality of what it costs to develop and maintain widely used software, has moved to a “Donationware” model. If I find a product useful, I want it to stay current and adapt which requires a significant investment in time and money, so I am willing to pay for it; otherwise I will delete it from my system. In the last few years, the financial realities of the market forced some developers to move to a “subscription” model. I resisted as long as I could, but I finally gave in and “subscribed” to some applications, and in most cases it has been worth the cost. I have also cancelled more than a few subscriptions and deleted apps that did not “pan out” or the subscription cost exceeded the product's value to me. But, that is just me.

I would remind you that software developers have to eat too, so examine your conscience carefully before you choose not to donate, contribute, pay for, or subscribe to software you use regularly or rely on. (NOTE: Open-Source developers are often willing to accept a donation of your time writing code, or user documentation, in lieu of cash.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #62170 07/27/22 07:04 PM
OP Offline

Thank you. I wouldn't have known and then wondered by it didn't work. frown

Don't forget that for the automatic sync to happen on the iPhone Settings > Music must be set ON and on your Mac: Music > Settings > General must have "Sync Library" checked.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #62171 07/27/22 07:48 PM
OP Offline

There is no sync in Music General on my Mac. Music Settings on Mac

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #62174 07/27/22 08:23 PM

I did offer to donate something to Malwarebytes because it helped me so much once. They said they didn't have that option. Now they do, so I will rethink and donate something.[/color]
I actually visit my FREE apps' dev's websites periodically to see if they've changed to donation or shareware.

On occasion, I've wanted to make a second donation, but the app had changed to shareware which cost more than I intended to donate, so...

joemikeb #62175 07/27/22 08:34 PM

This discussion has gotten me thinking...

I've got around 180 GB of music, none of which either came from the iTunes Store or is in a format recognizable by by the Store, and I've been wondering if I can access it on my iPhone without uploading it to the Cloud?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard