Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Any one there?
Gregg #141 08/05/09 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg
Rajah, you've changed your name!

Did you see macnerd's thread in the Feedback Forum?

http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=23#Post23

I did. I just decided to be me! cool

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
jchuzi #151 08/05/09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
The interface seems to be even better than the old MFIF.
We are using the latest release of the same UBB software that MFIF had and CNet did not like.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #156 08/05/09 04:19 PM

Hello World! Feels like being whole again, eh?

I'd like to echo my thanks to Franklin and all the mods & admins getting this running. Fantastic job! Looking forward to another fun decade!

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
Gregg #158 08/05/09 04:20 PM

As with the others, please accept my thanks for the outstanding job the FTM staff has done in creating our new “home”. No doubt many sleepless nights were part of the equation.

I wish that I had the vocabulary and grace to say something that is both original and adequately conveys my appreciation.

Tacit and his crew have performed a service to all, and one which is a great credit to the Mac community.

For their time, expertise, and generosity, my heartfelt thanks!

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #167 08/05/09 05:03 PM

Having read the "farewells" and felt the despair, I am so happy to see a brand new home complete with all the comfortable old furniture. I feel comfortable already – not the experience I had dicking around at CNET.

I love the internet, I love the Mac community. And judging from the speed and effort in getting this place built, so do you lot.

Thanks all.

dkmarsh #171 08/05/09 05:13 PM

I have got to say that I am totally blown away by the look and feel that this site carries forward. It already feels like home to me and I can hardly wait to see the community grow and rally.

DK mentioned in passing that I am currently far away....and I'll have to simply validate that as true without adding any further detail. I plan to be back home in San Diego by this fall. Because I am so far away and have such limited access to my normal resources, I won't get to put up my avatar until then.

It's already been said, but we all wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Tacit, Cyn, Dianne et al taking the initiative and getting things done in an amazingly brief period of time.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
pbGuy #193 08/05/09 05:47 PM

I simply wish to add my congratulations to all those who got this site up and running.

There will no doubt be some "bugs" to sort out over the next while. Please continue to support the Moderators of FTM with your patience and understanding in these early stages.

CONGRATS TO ALL!!

Many thanks,
MG2009
artie505 #305 08/06/09 05:22 AM

True enough, we have a blog!

What I had meant -- but didn't say clearly -- was that MFI had a news & troubleshooting site to draw traffic to the forums (and to get indexed by the search engines).

I'm sure Google will crawl the forums, and that will greatly help over time. I wonder, though, if a news/blog would help even more in drawing an active community.

David #326 08/06/09 02:46 PM

That's an excellent idea. Adding a public blog to the main page would be a good SEO draw for spiders, assuming we'd have the people power to produce it. We could also make certain areas like the Mac FAQ (tips, etc) public. Of course, with all the mods & admins already selflessly contribute, I'm certainly not gonna be the one to ask more of them. I'll leave that to you. smile

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #335 08/06/09 04:43 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

As an aside and as of sometime on 8/5, you can no longer get to MFIF. MFIF's (former) URL re-directs to CNET's Mac Forums.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #336 08/06/09 04:47 PM

Try http://archive.macfixitforums.com/ . At the moment, you would think the archive was running on a white plastic MacBook.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #338 08/06/09 04:55 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried the Link, but my Safari 4.0.2 couldn't get it to complete loading ...I stopped Safari after waiting during several attempts. ...Oh, well.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #343 08/06/09 05:27 PM

It was a slow load but eventually it opened up (iCab 4.6.1). The standard forums link on MacFixit does indeed redirect to CNET.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
donikatz #351 08/06/09 06:48 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Here's a thought about drawing attention to FTMF...

...I moved my comments to FineTunedMac Feedback, where there is a Thread on the topic.

Link

pbGuy #364 08/06/09 09:39 PM

As of now, CNET has totally ruined what used to be Version Tracker. You can click Downloads and get a list but it isn't user-friendly at all. I guess that I'll be using MacUpdate from now on. It remains to be seen how they will screw up MacFixit but I'm sure that the chimpanzees are working on it.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #367 08/06/09 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
As of now, CNET has totally ruined what used to be Version Tracker.

How come your version tracker link goes to cnet reviews for iphone atlas fitness apps. wink

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #369 08/06/09 10:02 PM

I don't know what happened. I used my bookmark for VT and got to that site (and it happened twice). Now, I tried the same bookmark and got the real VT. I guess that the chimps are not as competent as I thought. confused

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
MicroMatTech3 #564 08/08/09 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3

While still present, the archived MFIF have not only been eviscerated by their newly acquired glacial speed, but also by the removal of the Search function. Unbelievable! I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but it sure is gone now. mad

alternaut moderator
alternaut #587 08/08/09 02:34 PM

And the purpose of an archive without a search function would be, ...what? confused

alternaut #591 08/08/09 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
While still present, the archived MFIF have not only been eviscerated by their newly acquired glacial speed, but also by the removal of the Search function. Unbelievable! I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but it sure is gone now. mad

I don't think the Search function was removed; we're just not able to access it because we're not logged into MFIF. Despite being logged into the TechTracker sites overall, as indicated in the top blue bar, and despite the fact that a single login is supposed to work universally, you'll notice that in the Forums navigation bar, you're informed that "You are not logged in."

Nor is this intentional on CNET's part, I'm sure: if the aim was to prevent use of the archives, why would they even leave them up? No, I think the extreme difficulties in managing registration and login issues that have marked the TT sites in the CNET era have manifested themselves once again in the transition to a read-only MFIF archive. We're all logged out, and attempting to log back in (by first logging out either via the blue bar or by dumping cookies and reloading the page) initiates a loop which includes Safari can’t open “://localhost/” because Mac OS X doesn’t recognize Internet addresses starting with “:” error pages.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for this to be fixed.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #606 08/08/09 05:19 PM

Dave, you're right. There is one detail* that may not be, quite, but that doesn't detract from the basic condition that you can no longer log in properly. Still, the bottom line remains the same: Search is not available.

*) After logging in again (despite the error messages it does work, after a fashion), the blue bar says you're logged in as your email address instead of your username, while the Forums navigation bar ignores that.

alternaut moderator
Gregg #619 08/08/09 07:07 PM

What purpose is the forum archive supposed to serve other than a less immediate pissing-off of the community if it disabled right away. I can't find a link to the archive forums on the Macfixit site so how is anyone other than former members supposed to find and make use of it anyway. With it's extreme slowness I can guess that it's just a matter of a short time before it disappears. I can't imagine what they've done to the old server to run like it's hosted through a 1200 baud modem.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #705 08/09/09 06:28 AM

Maybe it's because it's the middle of the night, but I'm not finding navigating the archive to be slow, merely practically useless without "Search."

What on Earth are they thinking?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #848 08/11/09 12:02 AM

I found two problems with the MacFixIt Archives.

First, it wouldn't resolve, and this was in IE 7 on a Windows box. After signing in it resolved to a blank page. I re-entered Macfixit.com and pressed return. The proper page propagated.

Second, when I entered a search query, it resolved quite quickly, however, when I clicked on one of the items, I got the following error message.

Quote:

This Content or feature is for MacFixIt Pro subscribers.

Subscribe to MacFixit Pro and gain access to exclusive content and features including:

Troubleshooting Articles and special reports from 1996 to present
Advanced search options
Option to remove ads from the site
Email alerts- receive an immediate, daily or weekly email alert about products, developers and categories you care about.
Learn More | Purchase

Catch-22. I thought all subscriptions had been voided, and that you couldn't subscribe any more.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Sturner #861 08/11/09 04:13 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Could be I'm misunderstanding, but it seems to me you're confusing http://archive.macfixitforums.com with the MacFixIt.com Archives.

The former is where the content of the closed MacFixit Forums can be found (if you're willing to wait for pages to load). The latter is MacFixIt.com content that's available to MacFixIt Pro subscribers only and AFAIK will remain so until September 2, 2009. If you used any of the search functions on MacFixIt.com then you weren't searching the Forums.

BTW, Artie and everyone else wishing to search MFIF, an alternative to its disappeared search feature is to use Google and restrict your search to macfixitforums.com

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard