FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Start into another drive different not working
#61889 06/22/22 02:29 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ON new laptop, testing starting up from a backup OS, not working. Totally different in past. In past hold option on reboot and see drive options. Now really have to hold down power and option same time, to get the "Recovery" Module.
And then I think, remember, go into DU to see disc, there. I think my external OS backup was in there to do a reinstall (which did not do or need), but could not find or figure out how to just restart in that back up drive just see works. ie if can restart in it.

Re: Start into another drive different not working
kevs #61895 06/22/22 05:11 PM

Your new laptop is an M1 Apple System on Chip and, you are correct, things are different. joemikeb linked to this once before and I saved it, so here it is.

What seems to be of interest to you is toward the end of the middle tree that starts with a long hold on the power button (as you noted) and ends with the Apple menu choice where you can choose the startup disk.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #61900 06/22/22 08:31 PM

There are significant differences between Intel and M2/M2 Macs. The best sources of information I have found are Help in Monterey and The Eclectic Light Company. Eclectic Light can get technically deep at times, but being of an artistic bent the author often resorts to really helpful diagrams. (By the way, I find his articles on art good reading as well.) I commend the site to your perusal but don't worry if you don't fully grok all the words and focus on the pictures.

PS: he also has some useful apps as well.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61902 06/22/22 11:45 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, well big fan of Joe Kissel books, Joe think Electric light as good on M1 as the take control of book?

Never thought read lot about hardware.. but I guess not bad idea..

I know about long push, I did long push with option, yet the eternal still could not get to... so still stumped.

That diagram, could not understand..

kevs #61906 06/23/22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks guys, well big fan of Joe Kissel books, Joe think Electric light as good on M1 as the take control of book?

Eclectic is more of a blog and changes updates frequently and typically address specific issues. I am not familiar with Joe Kissel (The last printed book on computers I read one of O'Reilly Publishing's Missing Manual series years before they became O'Reilly Media and went almost entirely online) but he has a good reputation. The problem with hard copy these days is the information is almost invariably out-of-date before the book reaches the shelves. On the other hand books like his are generally more comprehensive and organized for learning. Sort of the the difference between a undergraduate level college course and a graduate-level colloquium. (Can you tell I was a university lecturer in one of my previous careers?)

Originally Posted by keys
Never thought read lot about hardware.. but I guess not bad idea..

It all depends on what level you want to get into the technology, but some knowledge of hardware can help solve some software problems.

Originally Posted by keys
That diagram, could not understand..

Which diagram? If you are referring to the one on startup options your learning style may be more text than graphically oriented. In that case, forget all you knew about startup options on Intel Macs and keep a link to this Apple Knowledge Base handy until you have used it enough that it becomes second nature. (Just be aware that it takes seven times longer to unlearn incorrect knowledge and relearn the correct knowledge than it took to learn it in the first place, so be patient with yourself.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61911 06/23/22 06:59 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, apple link at end do you have exist M1 version of that yet by apple?

kevs #61913 06/23/22 07:41 PM

Thanks Joe, apple link at end do you have exist M1 version of that yet by apple?

confused If you are referring to
Originally Posted by link
...forget all you knew about startup options on Intel Macs and keep a link to this Apple Knowledge Base handy until you have used it enough that it becomes second nature.

It is an Apple document and specific to M1 and M2 Macs. Just keep scrolling down the page.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61915 06/24/22 12:42 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/macos-recovery-a-mac-apple-silicon-mchl82829c17/mac

Nothing about M! did command F search on page. All silicon, pre M1 right?

kevs #61916 06/24/22 01:46 AM

Joe

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/macos-recovery-a-mac-apple-silicon-mchl82829c17/mac

Nothing about M! did command F search on page. All silicon, pre M1 right?

"Apple Silicon" is a sobriquet for the ARM processor, memory, storage, and other devices built on the same silicon "blanket" and used in current generation Macs, iPads, iPhones, watches and other Apple devices. This particular article however addresses issues unique to M1, M1 Max, M1 Pro, and M2 Apple Computers (ie. devices that have Apple Silicon inside and run macOS 10, 11, & 12) and conflates all them under the single more inclusive "Apple Silicon".

To be completely accurate, the M1 version of Apple Silicon is also used in the iPad Pro, which raises the question is the iPad Pro a computer or pad? The only difference being one runs macOS and the other iPadOS and if I heard correctly iPadOS 16, which will be released this fall, will be inheriting features from macOS that will make it more macOS-like.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/24/22 01:49 AM. Reason: clarification

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard