FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 2 new Lacie external, none seem to work
kevs #61853 06/20/22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Turns out that drive, just discovered today, from Seagate facebook rep, did have a pot of micro 3 type on the drive in back. So black did not see port, assumed -- got two very visible Type A ports so you'd assume those go into computer. They are a 'hub", no idea that that is, external drive hub.

That means you can daisy-chain other USB devices through the drive enclosure. That could be virtually any USB device of any kind although they will always operate at the USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) and cannot expect more than 5 watts of power through the USB connection.

Originally Posted by keys
Still so know can be used. Not sure still keep it, as old-style vs new style C... may keep/ may return.. but yeah, after a few days I can now see how works..

If you use the drive and then return it, don't forget to erase it before returning. I would suggest using a secure-erase.

Originally Posted by keys
BTW, got: 3 of newer Lacies d2, which still waiting for right converters for and 1 old style seagate ..... both of these brought mass confusion, but think sorted it out now..

Odds are the LaCie enclosures have Seagate drives.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61859 06/20/22 10:48 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe have no used it yet, and I was delayed, since could not figure it out! For $80 I could get Lacie d2 more advanced, but not sure fits in the security box and the stand I don't think comes off d2s like used to for d1s, but sounds like you would get the latest greatest right? Even double price?

OF course, I could return it and use one of the the current Seagate if one test ok.. JUst got Drive DX, but have not used it yet..... You may vote to use of older ones keep for bank.. I"d guess if test good...

Also got daisy disk.. not used yet but will

kevs #61863 06/20/22 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Also got daisy disk.. not used yet but will
Since joemike mentioned my name relative to GrandPerspective/DaisyDisk somewhere, I'll respond here, since you've mentioned DD.

I'm running both GP and DD, and while GP's output is awfully pretty and very easily digestible, it doesn't give as much detail as DD does, although DD's output is not the least bit clear or explicit.

Bottom line is that I use one or the other depending on what I'm looking for, so I don't consider either one more useful than the other.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard