An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I cloud drive counts again HD storage limit?
joemikeb #61940 06/26/22 08:52 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, 500 GB SSD, has 167 GB left, so should not bother with all this stuff?

I don't put any data on it. Just mac os stuff.

"DMA sees and analyzes APFS data structures and hidden volumes that DD either does not see or hides. (I wish that was optional and I have contacted DMA developer who has promised to consider my request in the next release.)"

What did that mean, saying feature you wish was not there..?

Caches.. easy one to clean, but would not bother?

The other stuff very draining, containers. application support, etc your vote is just let it be?

kevs #61943 06/26/22 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Joe, 500 GB SSD, has 167 GB left, so should not bother with all this stuff?

It seems rather pointless at with that much space left

I don't put any data on it. Just mac os stuff.

Originally Posted by keys
"DMA sees and analyzes APFS data structures and hidden volumes that DD either does not see or hides. (I wish that was optional and I have contacted DMA developer who has promised to consider my request in the next release.)"

What did that mean, saying feature you wish was not there..?

I am glad the feature to see the system volumes, and snapshots is there, but on my system that means I have a list of 146 volumes only 7 of which I have any control over their contents. The belongs to the OS and is just confusing information clutter or overload. I would like the ability to filter out the system volumes and snapshots.

Originally Posted by keys
Caches.. easy one to clean, but would not bother?

The other stuff very draining, containers. application support, etc your vote is just let it be?

Yes and Yes.

Back in the days when disk capacity was in MegaBytes frequent housekeeping was essential. In today's environment where 256 GB drives are the absolute minimum and macOS has gained the intelligence and ability to manage that disk space and even spool seldom used files off to the iCloud Drive it is a different world. If your drive were approaching, say 90% full (many experts now say less than 2 GB available space but that would make me nervous to get that low), then it would be prudent to start taking a hard look at how the space is used and take steps to create more breathing room. APFS and SSDs play a big part in this as well because unlike HDs, SSDs do not benefit from having the files in consecutive sectors on the drive, and intentionally place the sectors constituting the file in apparent random locations. Routine stuff like defragmentation, optimization and keeping total storage to less than 80% of capacity are a waste of time and effort. I still go through spells of disk space management out of habit more than actual need

By-the-way deleting Application Suport will immediatly break your applications.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61944 06/27/22 12:01 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Great info JOe, thanks. Final question on those side apps: if have Daisy Disk, not even sure how often use it, but keep it.. Would bother getting or trying... DMA also to see if nice looking? -- you've compared DD to DMA?

kevs #61945 06/27/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by kevs
Great info JOe, thanks. Final question on those side apps: if have Daisy Disk, not even sure how often use it, but keep it.. Would bother getting or trying... DMA also to see if nice looking? -- you've compared DD to DMA?

I used DD for a few years and only discovered DMA recently. Both are excellent apps and do essentially the same job in a very similar manner. DMA has a touch more features, but in some ways feels a tad rougher around the edges. I got it because I tried its sister app, App Uninstaller when the uninstaller app I had used previously priced itself out of my market, and found that it did what I wanted, and I liked it. To be truthful there is little to choose between DD and DMA, but I found I was using DMA instead of DD without even thinking about it, so after a while, in a fit of good disk-keeping, I deleted DD. (One of the better features of the app store is I am still registered as having purchased DD, so if ever decide to revert, I can download it again for no charge, unless there has been a major upgrade that is. smile )

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard