An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
External Speakers for Mac
#61203 03/22/22 04:57 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I have a Logitech external speaker for my Mac. My Macbook sits on it, and the speaker has a cushion underneath for my lap if you can picture that. I can only find used ones at this point.

Anyway, lately the speaker doesn't work now and again unless I restart my mac, and then it kicks in. Does that sound like a speaker problem or a Mac problem? If it's a speker problem I probably need a new one. If it's a Mac problem, perhaps there is something I can tweak so that this doesn't keep happening.

Thanks.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61204 03/22/22 05:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 3
Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 3
I'm guessing the speaker is connecting by Bluetooth. If so, I have found that if you turn the speaker on after the computer or iPhone is on, the connection always takes. If the speaker is on before the source of the Bluetooth connection, that could result in it not connecting.


On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, 27" iMac, Macbook Air, macOS 10.15.x and MacOS 12; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: External Speakers for Mac
Ira L #61205 03/22/22 05:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I didn't think to say this. It's connected by USB. That's probably why they aren't making them anymore.

Originally Posted by Ira L
I'm guessing the speaker is connecting by Bluetooth. If so, I have found that if you turn the speaker on after the computer or iPhone is on, the connection always takes. If the speaker is on before the source of the Bluetooth connection, that could result in it not connecting.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61206 03/22/22 07:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by plantsower
Anyway, lately the speaker doesn't work now and again unless I restart my mac, and then it kicks in. Does that sound like a speaker problem or a Mac problem? If it's a speker problem I probably need a new one. If it's a Mac problem, perhaps there is something I can tweak so that this doesn't keep happening.

<--snip -->

I didn't think to say this. It's connected by USB. That's probably why they aren't making them anymore.

Given the fact USB is a hardware/firmware protocol there are no settings you can tweak per. se. An intermittent connection such as you describe would have a hardware cause such as a faulty USB cable, connector, or connection. Bailey's troubleshooting rules would have you start with the lease expensive option and proceed up-budget from there.
  1. Disconnect and reconnect both ends of the USB cable being careful to examind for dust, rust, damage on both sides of both ends -- if the problem disappears consider it solved.
  2. Swap out the USB cable with a known good cable -- if the problem disappears discard the original cable. (Apple, Anker, belkin, and OWC are all reliable cable brands.) <YOU INVARIABLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN ANY CABLE>
  3. Try a known good speaker from from another computer -- replace the speaker (I have good results with ANKER and Apple
  4. try the speaker on another USB port or on a different computer (Applecare?)


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: External Speakers for Mac
joemikeb #61207 03/22/22 08:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Given the fact USB is a hardware/firmware protocol there are no settings you can tweak per. se. An intermittent connection such as you describe would have a hardware cause such as a faulty USB cable, connector, or connection. Bailey's troubleshooting rules would have you start with the lease expensive option and proceed up-budget from there.


  1. Disconnect and reconnect both ends of the USB cable being careful to examind for dust, rust, damage on both sides of both ends -- if the problem disappears consider it solved. Unfortunately, one end of the cable is hardwired into the speaker, so I can't try any of the suggestions other than maybe getting another speaker. I did blow the dust out of it but it didn't make a difference. I like this one because it fits on my lap. Any other speaker would be a pain because it would have to be off at the side and be in the way of something. frown
  2. Swap out the USB cable with a known good cable -- if the problem disappears discard the original cable. (Apple, Anker, belkin, and OWC are all reliable cable brands.) <YOU INVARIABLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN ANY CABLE>
  3. Try a known good speaker from from another computer -- replace the speaker (I have good results with ANKER and Apple
  4. try the speaker on another USB port or on a different computer (Applecare?)
[/quote]


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61209 03/22/22 09:39 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Have you tried it with your husband's Mac?


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: External Speakers for Mac
artie505 #61210 03/22/22 10:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I didn't think of it because it's a desk top, and it has very good sound.

Originally Posted by artie505
Have you tried it with your husband's Mac?


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61211 03/22/22 10:46 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by plantsower
...I like this one because it fits on my lap. Any other speaker would be a pain because it would have to be off at the side and be in the way of something. frown

I have this little puppy sitting in a tiny niche on my workbench, so it would probably sit comfortably on your lap as well. it produces amazingly good sound and enough volume to be heard over the cacophony of vacuums, sanders, saws, lathes, etc. that often send my Apple Watch into paroxysms of "too loud" notifications. And, the sound quality is arguably better than my Apple "HomePod" (which cost ~$100 more), and the stereo effect is competitive with a pair of HomePod minis (which cost ~$150 more), albeit without the network and Siri connections. — Just saying.

Originally Posted by artie505
Have you tried it with your husband's Mac?

Good thinking! I wish I had thought of that :dopeslap:

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/22/22 10:52 PM. Reason: Grammerly

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61664 06/03/22 03:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I eventually bought another Logitech off of eBay. It worked for a few weeks then quit. It works if I restart the Mac but I have to keep doing it. I found another Logitech I forgot I had, brand new. I put that on today but the same thing. The mac won't recognize it. So, it's the Mac, not the speakers. Would PRAM, SMC or any of that fix it maybe? That's never really fixes anything for me, just wondering before I go through the trouble.



Originally Posted by plantsower
I have a Logitech external speaker for my Mac. My Macbook sits on it, and the speaker has a cushion underneath for my lap if you can picture that. I can only find used ones at this point.

Anyway, lately the speaker doesn't work now and again unless I restart my mac, and then it kicks in. Does that sound like a speaker problem or a Mac problem? If it's a speker problem I probably need a new one. If it's a Mac problem, perhaps there is something I can tweak so that this doesn't keep happening.

Thanks.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61667 06/03/22 04:32 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
This suggests that zapping NVRAM may help:

For music production, resetting the PRAM/NVRAM will reset information that deals with start-up disks and device connections such as MIDI devices and audio interfaces.


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: External Speakers for Mac
artie505 #61668 06/03/22 04:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Dang it. I already did and it's not working. At first I couldn't get it to show up on the list of speakers, now it shows up but no sound. I can only get sound from my crummy internal speakers.


Originally Posted by artie505
This suggests that zapping NVRAM may help:

For music production, resetting the PRAM/NVRAM will reset information that deals with start-up disks and device connections such as MIDI devices and audio interfaces.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61670 06/03/22 04:53 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
I asked a while back if you tried the speakers with another Mac, and you never said that you did. It may not be helpful, but it will be information.


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: External Speakers for Mac
artie505 #61672 06/03/22 05:14 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OK, I tried it on the iMac and the new one still doesn't have sound, the one I've been using has sound on the iMac. I replugged it (the older speaker) into my MacBook Pro and no sound until I shut down and restarted my Mac (again). I can't explain it.


Originally Posted by artie505
I asked a while back if you tried the speakers with another Mac, and you never said that you did. It may not be helpful, but it will be information.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61673 06/03/22 09:18 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Don't you have three of them...the one you had at the start of this thread, the one you bought on eBay, and the one you "found?"

I ask because you've only reported having tried two with the iMac, and if the original and eBay ones worked but not the found one it would suggest that the found one is defective...not that that contributes anything towards solving your problem.

In other words: Basically, I'm stumped! crazy


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: External Speakers for Mac
artie505 #61674 06/03/22 02:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
PMFJI...

First some general questions:
  1. How do these speakers connect to your computer; via the standard 3.5mm audio port, USB, Bluetooth, or how?
  2. If it is a wired connection, have you tried a different connecting cable
  3. If it is a wired connection, have you tried a different port on the computer?


Then an observation: Statements like
Originally Posted by plantsower
At first I couldn't get it to show up on the list of speakers, now it shows up but no sound
and
Originally Posted by plantsower
At first I couldn't get it to show up on the list of speakers, now it shows up but no sound
sound (no pun intended smile ) suspiciously like software rather than a hardware issue. Logitech has a propensity for marching to their own drummer and using proprietary drivers and even proprietary wireless connections for their devices (which is why I quit using Logitech years ago). I know this is the case with several Logitech speaker models and it appears most have required updates to run on macOS 12 (Monterey), if we had model numbers for your speakers I could do a search for specific information and/or more current drivers.

Re: External Speakers for Mac
artie505 #61681 06/03/22 04:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I tossed the first one when I bought the second one because it wouldn't even work when I restarted the Mac like the other ones did/do.



Originally Posted by artie505
Don't you have three of them...the one you had at the start of this thread, the one you bought on eBay, and the one you "found?"

I ask because you've only reported having tried two with the iMac, and if the original and eBay ones worked but not the found one it would suggest that the found one is defective...not that that contributes anything towards solving your problem.

In other words: Basically, I'm stumped! crazy


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
joemikeb #61682 06/03/22 04:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
USB connections. USB cable is hardwired into speaker. I did try different ports. No dice. Model # N550.


Originally Posted by joemikeb
PMFJI...

First some general questions:
  1. How do these speakers connect to your computer; via the standard 3.5mm audio port, USB, Bluetooth, or how?
  2. If it is a wired connection, have you tried a different connecting cable
  3. If it is a wired connection, have you tried a different port on the computer?


Then an observation: Statements like
Originally Posted by plantsower
At first I couldn't get it to show up on the list of speakers, now it shows up but no sound
and
Originally Posted by plantsower
At first I couldn't get it to show up on the list of speakers, now it shows up but no sound
sound (no pun intended smile ) suspiciously like software rather than a hardware issue. Logitech has a propensity for marching to their own drummer and using proprietary drivers and even proprietary wireless connections for their devices (which is why I quit using Logitech years ago). I know this is the case with several Logitech speaker models and it appears most have required updates to run on macOS 12 (Monterey), if we had model numbers for your speakers I could do a search for specific information and/or more current drivers.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 94.0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: External Speakers for Mac
plantsower #61688 06/03/22 08:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Try downloading and installing the Logitech N550 drivers here. and see if that doesn't solve your problem.


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Release build 20200307)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.25 Page Time: 0.056s Queries: 50 (0.046s) Memory: 0.6714 MB (Peak: 0.8078 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-07-06 12:55:53 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS