Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Word nightmare
#61472 05/04/22 05:47 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Anyone else use Word?

just got this double whammy on two files, and really outrageous, dangerous, lose work all time now. Hardrives are fine, anyone else see this ? Never seen this in 20 years of using word

https://imgur.com/a/vh8COqo

Re: Word nightmare
kevs #61473 05/04/22 06:28 PM

That is certainly strange! I have never seen anything like it either. I have two suggestions (for lack of anything else):

1. Copy the contents of the document, paste it into a new Word document and save the new document.
2. Run Malware Bytes

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #61474 05/04/22 07:42 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon yeah crazy ! Either of those nuts, but both, and now sometimes, both in same save session

OK malware byte ok

So yeah, when see either, going to save to new document. Would be nice to solve. Posted on Word forum not solutions yet. ONe of the best MVPs there not know, he though maybe hardrive issue, but hardrive is fine...

kevs #61475 05/04/22 09:06 PM

A DuckDuckGo search for your document has been saved by another application indicates you are far from the only one having this problem with Word. The first hit had 779 "I have the same question responses". I haven't read all of the hits, but from the ones I looked at it appears the "universal fix" I learned when I worked for Microsoft is still recommended.
Originally Posted by Micosoft Universal Fix
Uninstall the offending app (Word) and reinstall it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61476 05/04/22 10:16 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, and what that fix? No trust with Google? I think Duck uses Bing results. But point of duck in not results but privacy in the search query..

kevs #61477 05/05/22 04:40 PM

I have good luck with DuckDuckGo and avoid Google assiduously.

Microsoft's universal quick fix, as I indicated previously, is to uninstall and re-install the offending Microsoft application which in this case would be MS Word. Like most universal quick fixes it is not guaranteed to work, but it works often enough to make it worthwhile to try.

NOTE: this is Microsoft's universal quick fix second only to rebooting the computer. Like most quick fixes it is intended to...
  1. get the user back up and running
  2. get the support technician off the phone as quickly as possible
  3. and most important, give the support technician credit for a "solve".

It does NOT...
  1. identify the underlying cause of the problem
  2. prevent the problem from recurring
  3. actually fix anything

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61478 05/05/22 05:01 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, kind of like a delete preferences fix, but I think huge pita, ie lose styles etc....

Maybe see how goes and ; eventually I think be forced to a subscription, and with that you are always "live" on app right?

But do you have a page that says how to do word or excel install/ reinstall?

kevs #61479 05/05/22 06:41 PM

A DuckDuckGo search for how to uninstall word on a mac turned up are found Microsoft's official instructions, this WikiHow article and this Nektony article specifically on removing Word. It also yielded a number of other articles on removing Microsoft Office and a nice selection of YouTube videos. You do not necessarily lose any settings or data, it all depends on the technique you use.

Installing is accomplished simply by running the installer.

A subscription guarantees access to future updates and upgrades, so long as you continue to pay the subscription price and Microsoft continues to develop and support the product. You still must accept and install the updates when they are released. In essence, you are paying for the updates in advance and helping guarantee Microsoft continues to support the product. Like it or not, subscriptions are a financially rational response, to the current market environment. However, I should point out there are any number of products on the market that can read, edit, and export documents in .docx format including Pages, Mellel 5, Nisus Writer Pro 3, and the StarOffice variants NeoOffice and LibreOffice Vanilla. As far as I am concerned, choosing among them is a matter of finding the one that best fits your personal tastes and all but the StarOffice variants are, in my opinion, less cluttered and easier to use than Word and yield equal results and all are far less expensive and quircky than Word.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61480 05/05/22 07:26 PM

Do you think a simple rerunning of the installer over kevs's existing installation is worth a try?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #61481 05/05/22 11:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe on the alternatives. Word so long , hard to imagine no word but who knows. Will explore uninstall and and let you know..

artie505 #61482 05/06/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Do you think a simple rerunning of the installer over kevs's existing installation is worth a try?

It should not be a surprise that installing and uninstalling, an application in Windows is a very different proposition altogether than in macOS. The internal construction of Windows and its relationship with applications is entirely different. Neither should it be a surprise the Microsoft Tech Support cure-all primarily targets Windows installations. Finally, my experience with anything Windows dates back decades. I say all that to preface my answer to your question which is a deep shrug of the shoulders.

I would point out the purpose of a cure-all is to get the user back up and running as quickly as possible and just as you have said you do a shut down and cold boot in lieu of a reboot, my inclination would be to go ahead with the uninstall and reinstall as it is more likely to get keys back up and running in the least possible time - assuming the quick fix works at all.

I would also re-iterate, uninstallation does not necessarily uninstall any of the user's carefully curated customizations.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #61483 05/06/22 06:08 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, not ready, yet, but hold onto this.. as have styles and not sure/ remember how put back my styles....

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard