An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Email deleting from 2 places
#61471 05/04/22 02:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
I have had the habit of sending myself and email with a link I wish to have for a few days. I keep the Inbox email and delate the Sent. It's a lot easier than bookmarking and then remembering to delete the bookmark later - a system that has always worked well until now. Today, when I deleted the Sent, email also deleted the Inbox copy. I tried a few times and the results were always the same - both copies got deleted. I suspect it's iCloud but don't know for sure.

Any thoughts on how I stop this email behaviour?


ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS Mojave 10.14.6
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro
Re: Email deleting from 2 places
ryck #61508 05/16/22 08:57 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Online
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
When you say, "I have had the habit of sending myself and email with a link I wish to have for a few days. I keep the Inbox email and delate the Sent"...
Specifically how, are you creating that link?


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: Email deleting from 2 places
joemikeb #61520 05/18/22 01:25 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Specifically how, are you creating that link?
As with other links, just click in the location box at the top of the page and copy it. Then I paste it into an email. Have been doing this for years.


ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS Mojave 10.14.6
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro
Re: Email deleting from 2 places
ryck #61521 05/18/22 01:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Online

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Originally Posted by ryck
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Specifically how, are you creating that link?
As with other links, just click in the location box at the top of the page and copy it. Then I paste it into an email. Have been doing this for years.
Try hitting command-shift-I instead. It opens up a new email with the URL in the body.


The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Email deleting from 2 places
ryck #61533 05/18/22 06:39 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Online
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by ryck
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Specifically how, are you creating that link?
As with other links, just click in the location box at the top of the page and copy it. Then I paste it into an email. Have been doing this for years.
The light dawns, but I just tested on Mail 16.0 in macOS 12.4 and I ran some tests (green indicates the sent copy can be deleted without effecting the inbox copy red indicates deleting the sent copy deletes the inbox copy.)
  • The presence or absence of a link has no effect on the outcome
  • mac.com to mac.com
  • mac.com to charter.com
  • mac.com to gmail
  • charter.com to charter.com
  • charter.com to mac.com
  • charter.com to gmail


CONCLUSION:

Deleting the Inbox copy when the sent copy is deleted is a function of the SMTP server and therefore beyond control of the user. Your gimmick is therefore unreliable and you need to figure out a better method. Personally I export messages to DEVONThink 3 and add a notification reminder to that entry but that is overkill unless you have need for a powerful data managment system. but there are a number of different contact management, tickler, etc systems on the app stoere and perhaps one fo those might work for you.


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: Email deleting from 2 places
joemikeb #61539 05/19/22 03:06 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 5
Originally Posted by artie505
Try hitting command-shift-I instead. It opens up a new email with the URL in the body.
Thank you. I’ll give that method a try and, if it works, I’ll boogie on blissfully. Or….
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Deleting the Inbox copy when the sent copy is deleted is a function of the SMTP server and therefore beyond control of the user. Your gimmick is therefore unreliable and you need to figure out a better method.
….or, I’ll try this. Instead of using email to hang onto links for future reference, I’ll set up a new “temporary use” bookmarks folder in Safari and store links there.

Either way. it looks like I have a solution. Thanks both for your time and thoughts…they are appreciated.

Last edited by ryck; 05/19/22 03:08 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS Mojave 10.14.6
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Release build 20200307)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.25 Page Time: 0.021s Queries: 26 (0.015s) Memory: 0.5955 MB (Peak: 0.6675 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-05-24 23:55:20 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS