FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Migration to a New Mac
#6146 11/28/09 05:17 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

I do this about every three years or so, but recently I seem to recall reading that there is a "better" way to do it.

In migrating to a new computer, should a user be created on the new computer with the exact same name as the user on the old computer and then use Migration Assistant to bring things over in Target Mode? Or should Target Mode be used with Migration Assistant on the new computer before creating the user on the new computer (is this even possible?)? In other words, let the migration process create the identical user.

I thought I had read that the latter procedure is better in some way.

Also, can any of the above be done wirelessly or by Ethernet, since the old Mac is FW400 only and the new one is FW800 only. Yes, I know there are FW800-400 cables, but if I don't need to get something extra, so much the better.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Migration to a New Mac
Ira L #6147 11/28/09 05:54 PM

When I migrated, I used the latter procedure. In other words, I connected the two Macs via Firewire (I don't know if ethernet would work) and started the old Mac in Target Disk Mode. Then, I started the new Mac. Migration Assistant launched automatically and I simply followed the prompts.

To clarify, my new Mac had no accounts or settings of any kind, just a virgin OS. Migration Assistant took about 90 minutes (any estimates that MA gives of time remaining are strictly for laughs so ignore them) and, except for having to reset some minor preferences, everything was exactly the way my old Mac had been.

My advice: Spend the money on a FW800-400 cable. It's worth the price in exchange for ease of migration and lack of aggravation.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Ira L #6153 11/28/09 09:38 PM

I recently migrated a friend's old Mac that did not have firewire to her new iMac using ethernet and it was a piece of cake. Connected the two with an ethernet cable, launched Migration Assistant on the old Mac. Selected ethernet as the migration media on the new one which then produced a pairing number. Entered that number on the old Mac and watched it go. I have no way of comparing the transfer speeds, but I swear it seemed the ethernet was faster than firewire has been on other Macs. Both Macs did have Gigabit ethernet.

Like Jon there was no account setup on the new iMac. The account was setup by the Migration.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #6205 11/29/09 06:38 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, guys, this is a big help.

So no account on the new Mac, start the old in Target Mode, start the new and either Migration Assistant begins automatically (Jon) or start it on the old (JMB) and away we go.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #11095 07/22/10 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I recently migrated a friend's old Mac that did not have firewire to her new iMac using ethernet and it was a piece of cake. Connected the two with an ethernet cable, launched Migration Assistant on the old Mac. Selected ethernet as the migration media on the new one which then produced a pairing number. Entered that number on the old Mac and watched it go. I have no way of comparing the transfer speeds, but I swear it seemed the ethernet was faster than firewire has been on other Macs. Both Macs did have Gigabit ethernet.

Like Jon there was no account setup on the new iMac. The account was setup by the Migration.
Sorry if my understanding is affected by my aged brain, but I have some questions:

Did you use Target Disk Mode at all or were both computers booted normally?
Did Migration Assistant launch automatically when you started the new Mac?

I ask because I'm going to migrate data from an old iMac to a newer one next week. The lady that I am helping is technologically challenged so she is grateful for whatever I do for her. I was unable to find the appropriate FW 400 - FW 800 cable locally (I tried Radio Shack, Office Depot and Best Buy) and the only place that I could locate one was at Apple for $30. I already have an ethernet cable and, from your description, it looks as if the transfer is faster than via FW.

EDIT: Just to hedge my bets (and I might need this for other uses anyway), I ordered the Moshi 800 to 400 FireWire Adapter. So, I'm set for any contingency.

Last edited by jchuzi; 07/22/10 09:51 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #11105 07/24/10 10:58 AM

Migration Options for OS X It appears that joemikeb's procedure is correct and MacFixit's has an error. MF implies that you should start the old computer in Target Disk Mode. I looked at my copy of MA and it walks you through it. It seems that the old Mac should be started normally and MA needs to be launched on it. Then, follow jmb's instructions.

Last edited by jchuzi; 07/24/10 11:09 AM.

Jon

jchuzi #11176 07/28/10 05:51 PM

Migrating via Ethernet was unsuccessful. I followed the on-screen prompts, entered the appropriate number to establish a network and the new computer hung at "preparing". Finally, it gave up and so did I. I then successfully migrated via TDM and Firewire in about 40 minutes. After getting the new computer up to speed via Software Update, everything worked well and the owner is delighted with her new iMac.

I hadn't known that, if she had waited a few days, she could have had the new line of iMacs available (and at the same price for the least expensive one) but it may have worked out for the best. Her old iMac developed another problem in that the desktop icons to the left of the white strip (see this thread for details) were not visible. I suspect that the LCD panel was getting even worse.

The bottom line is that she is now a very happy camper.

Jon

jchuzi #11177 07/28/10 05:55 PM

Nice job! laugh

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard