FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
address book disappeared
#6055 11/24/09 03:00 AM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

Can anyone help with this problem? Address book is gone and this is the error message:
You can't open the application "Address Book.2009.app" because it is not supported on this architecture."

I'm running 10.5.8 - did a security update yesterday (also other updates).

I also needed a new backup drive, so yesterday I loaded a LaCie external Triple Interface - Hi-Speed USB 2.0 all-terrain hard disk.

When I started to backup Address Book to LaCie drive, I got a message that I did not have sufficient privileges to copy it to the drive. So, I created a folder - dragged the address book into the folder and dragged that onto the drive. Went well - I can see it in the folder - dragged it to the dock, but won't show up in applications. I tried renaming the address book, but cannot.

Will the architecture support a 'renamed' address book and if so, how can I do it?

Thanks to everyone for being here!!!

Re: address book disappeared
pmolloy #6057 11/24/09 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: pmolloy
Can anyone help with this problem? Address book is gone and this is the error message:
You can't open the application "Address Book.2009.app"

"Address Book.2009.app"? -- Whence came "2009"? [did you rename the program at some point?]

because it is not supported on this architecture.

Is this a 'hackintosh' question... or do you own a real Mac? [which one?]

Or... have you run some kind of utility that increases disk space by removing "unnecessary" architectures from binary files?

When I started to backup Address Book to LaCie drive, I got a message that I did not have sufficient privileges to copy it to the drive. So, I created a folder - dragged the address book into the folder and dragged that onto the drive. Went well - I can see it in the folder - dragged it to the dock, but won't show up in applications. I tried renaming the address book, but cannot.

I'm confused. Apple wants Address Book to be in the /Applications folder of the boot volume. If that item isn't there (or not working), then that itself is the problem. Making copies to different locations with different names is non-standard practice... and will likely lead to non-standard behavior.

Permission problems in the /Applications folder come under the purview of DURP (Disk Utility Repair Permissions). EDIT: and... permission problems on external disks depend on how such permissions are set by the user. I.e., the message you saw is one usually meant to inform us about a lack of write permission on the target (nothing to do with read permission on the source). Unless you can recall the wording of that message more specifically?

As far as missing architectures go, i think we need more information in this case.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/24/09 05:38 AM.
Hal Itosis #6063 11/24/09 03:45 PM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

Well... thanks for replying.

Firstly, no, not a "hackintosh" question. I am a Mac user/owner and always have been. I don't buy pirated software, nor do I sell it. I currently own 3 Macs (...they never die). This one is a MacBook Pro and as stated, run OS X, version 10.5.8. Secondly, I am not intelligent enough to be a 'hacker', hence, I have a need to ask intelligent people questions. Therefore, dumbing down responses, to the extent possible, is most helpful.

I must have renamed the Address Book to distinguish it from other previous backups, but not sure where the original app went. I have not used "a utility to increase disk space by removing 'unnecessary' architectures from binary files". I guess that happened though and if so, it must have been the result of software update??

I haven't upgraded to 10.6, but did try to use time machine to facilitate backups. It didn't work well for me - would hang so resorted to old method of dragging individual files/folders to my backup drives.

I guess my best option is to use Disk Utility to repair the permissions. I will try that.

pmolloy #6064 11/24/09 04:45 PM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

I ran disk utility and although the HD "appears to be ok", there are problems with permissions repair. Four warnings and statements that those problems will not be fixed.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

pmolloy #6065 11/24/09 07:08 PM

I would recommend reinstalling Address Book. There is a program called Pacifist which greatly simplifies that task by allowing us to install individual applications (and other OS components), from either the original Leopard DVD or from any one of the combo update packages. I would say download the 10.5.8 combo installer package (if you don't already have it handy), and use Pacifist to install a fresh Address Book.

--

I ran disk utility and although the HD "appears to be ok", there are problems with permissions repair. Four warnings and statements that those problems will not be fixed.

Warning: SUID file System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Well, supposedly -- since DiskManagementTool [and Locum] is on the infamous "safely ignore" list -- that particular item is probably okay. [NB: mind you, there is absolutely no guarantee that that's true in every case.] However, neither pppd nor vpnd appear on that list. So what are users supposed to do now? Just assume the list hasn't been updated to include them yet? [i don't know what to tell you. i think it's totally ridiculous that "DiskManagementTool" -- one of the components responsible for maintaining healthy permissions -- is even on that so-called ignore list.]

So on one hand, those 4 items are all probably just fine. If -- on the other hand -- you (or anyone reading this) wanted to be sure, here are the current (10.5.8) sha1 digest values, which can be obtained by running the command openssl sha1 /path/to/the/file in Terminal.app:

SHA1(/usr/sbin/pppd)= 3f9fd9afddbae481c693e00aa4fd78d45abd8b4d

SHA1(/usr/sbin/vpnd)= ed5e7891395c321fb38ba2b34f7dd9a77c227505

SHA1(/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum)= c59d0903a901a3f14c5038b7a4ae049365edc2a8

SHA1(/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool)= a98f984e557cd7acdb93330acec476e4367e359d

That much verifies the files are intact. Here is what the perms should be (obtained by running the command ls -l /path/to/the/file in Terminal.app):

-r-sr-xr-x 1 root wheel 535472 Jul 15 20:06 /usr/sbin/pppd

-r-sr-xr-x 1 root wheel 185232 Jul 15 20:06 /usr/sbin/vpnd

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root wheel 283136 Jul 15 19:51 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root wheel 848608 Jul 15 20:12 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/24/09 09:42 PM.
Hal Itosis #6076 11/25/09 12:09 AM

Address Book can be reinstalled from the Leopard DVD without resorting to Pacifist.

There doesn't seem to be an Apple Kbase doc for 10.5, but the procedure is pretty much identical to that described in Custom installs in Mac OS X 10.4 (scroll down to More custom reinstallation options with Mac OS X 10.4).

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #6079 11/25/09 12:28 AM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to you both. I have the Leopard DVD, so will try to reinstall. I suppose it doesn't really matter very much, but I am curious about what I did to cause the problem.

pmolloy #6080 11/25/09 12:52 AM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

Just one more question. As I originally stated, I am still able to view the Address Book - I was even able to drag it to the dock and it opens. The problem is that the original application doesn't exist (and I'm getting all the warnings when trying to repair permissions). Will reinstalling the Address book from Leopard DVD overwrite the current address book for which I do not have the application, but can read and open?

Thanks

pmolloy #6082 11/25/09 01:25 AM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

Problem resolved.

pmolloy #6083 11/25/09 01:30 AM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

My unorthodox solution was to 1) duplicate the address book 2) rename the address book 3) add the Address Book to applications folder 4) Run disk utility again and repair permissions.

I hadn't tried to rename the Address Book after the first run of disk utility. I guess I should have thought of that.

Anyway, I am no longer getting warnings and everything seems fine. Thank you.

pmolloy #6094 11/25/09 06:17 PM

Glad whatever you did worked... only, i wonder how anyone could repeat that fix.

Quote:
My unorthodox solution was to
1) duplicate the address book
Which "address book"?
Duplicate how. . . and from where to where?

Quote:
2) rename the address book
Rename to what . . . and why?

Quote:
3) add the Address Book to applications folder
Which "Address Book" where?

Hal Itosis #6098 11/26/09 06:43 AM
pmolloy Offline OP
OP Offline

The Address Book.app (Version 4.1.2 [702]) is a Mac application that comes as bundled software for Leopard.

As previously stated, the problem was that the original application disappeared. Although I still had a copy of "Address Book.2009.app", which I had inadvertently renamed, I was originally unable to rename the Address Book.2009.app - to Address Book.app, which was the original application.

I created a folder - placed it on my desktop with my Address Book.2009.app. in it. I duplicated the Address Book.2009.app, which I was then able to rename. Duplication was accomplished by clicking on the Address Book.2009.app and going to file and selecting 'Duplicate".

I added the renamed Address Book.app to the applications folder. The Applications folder is on my hard drive and contains all my applications. Again it is part of the bundled software that comes with Leopard.

Does that answer your questions Hal itosis?

pmolloy #6100 11/26/09 02:57 PM

The extra details that you've now provided will help someone else who inadvertently finds themselves in a similar bind.

Welcome to the FineTunedMac forum and hopefully you'll find (and provide) as many Mac-related solutions as you need to in the future.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #6117 11/27/09 03:09 AM

problem solved

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard