FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: FaceTime and Photo Booth
artie505 #60782 02/08/22 02:25 AM
OP Offline

I am still trying to get my camera function back without the nuke option. You said our version of Catalina does not have apple camera assistant but FYI I just looked and it's on the activity monitor. I force quit but it made no difference

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60783 02/08/22 02:34 AM

I just checked again, and I still haven't got that file. It probably has something to do with the fact that I never use my camera.

You seem to be edging closer and closer to the nuclear option.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60784 02/08/22 02:47 AM
OP Offline

Nah! It's just the camera. Not for that.

You seem to be edging closer and closer to the nuclear option. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60786 02/08/22 04:58 AM

One last try, then...

Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.photolibraryd/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.camera.plist (which I just found), move it to your desktop, immediately shut down/restart your MBP.

If you want to be daring, you can follow that procedure for ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.photolibraryd, but be certain to save it on your desktop and be certain that Photos works as expected after you restart.

Personally, I'd start with just the .plist.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and =^._.^= for luck. smile

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60787 02/08/22 05:07 AM
OP Offline

I can't remember how to do that. I went to Finder - Go - Go to folder but couldn't find it. I finally found containers but couldn't find the exact match. Please send the roadmap.

Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.photolibraryd/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.camera.plist (which I just found), move it to your desktop, immediately shut down/restart your MBP.

Not sure how to navigate to the following either.

If you want to be daring, you can follow that procedure for ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.photolibraryd, but be certain to save it on your desktop and be certain that Photos works as expected after you restart.

Personally, I'd start with just the .plist.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and =^._.^= for luck. smile [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60788 02/08/22 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by plantsower
I can't remember how to do that. I went to Finder - Go - Go to folder but couldn't find it. I finally found containers but couldn't find the exact match. Please send the roadmap.

The second path is just the beginning of the first one.

The paths are the roadmaps you're asking for.

If you were able to get to "Containers," just keep going from there.

artie505 #60798 02/08/22 07:02 PM
OP Offline

Here's the thing. I went to containers yesterday before I posted and could not find the exact folder. A couple of them started out with ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.photolibraryd/Data/Library/Preferences/com but no camera was mentioned. I looked inside the folders and still no camera mentioned.

Originally Posted by artie505

The second path is just the beginning of the first one.

The paths are the roadmaps you're asking for.

If you were able to get to "Containers," just keep going from there.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60799 02/08/22 07:30 PM

Here's the thing. I went to containers yesterday before I posted and could not find the exact folder. A couple of them started out with ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.photolibraryd/Data/Library/Preferences/com but no camera was mentioned. I looked inside the folders and still no camera mentioned.
Maybe the problem is that I was looking in Monterey, not Catalina. (Oops!) I'll look in Catalina a bit later.

artie505 #60800 02/08/22 08:58 PM
OP Offline

Okie dokie.

Maybe the problem is that I was looking in Monterey, not Catalina. (Oops!) I'll look in Catalina a bit later. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60806 02/09/22 09:52 AM

No luck, Rita. I went through Catalina and didn't find any files that are even remotely pertinent to your camera.

I've lost track. Have you tried just running the Catalina installer rather than nuke & pave?

artie505 #60814 02/09/22 07:58 PM
OP Offline

Yes, I got a friend to put it on a thumb drive for me and I ran from that. No change. Hardware test proved negative. Did PRAM with no change. So weird, under System report, I clicked on Camera and got the message "No video capture devices were found." I guess it's lost in cyberspace.

No luck, Rita. I went through Catalina and didn't find any files that are even remotely pertinent to your camera.

I've lost track. Have you tried just running the Catalina installer rather than nuke & pave?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60816 02/09/22 08:14 PM

So weird, under System report, I clicked on Camera and got the message "No video capture devices were found." I guess it's lost in cyberspace.
I'm far from an expert, but that sounds to me like your camera's kaput.

artie505 #60817 02/09/22 08:24 PM
OP Offline

From what I've been reading on the apple community, some people got it back by upgrading to Big Sur, but it didn't work for everyone. Some people said that the logic board was the culprit and needed to be replaced. No thanks. One person said that the culprit for him was Kapersky and the camera worked after deleting it. Now I am wondering if Malwarebytes might be causing me problems, though it never has in the past. Not sure what I'm gonna do if anything. It's not vital. My husband has to use Zoom to talk to his doctor every month, but the camera works on the iMac so no problem.

So weird, under System report, I clicked on Camera and got the message "No video capture devices were found." I guess it's lost in cyberspace.
I'm far from an expert, but that sounds to me like your camera's kaput.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60818 02/09/22 09:57 PM

From what I've been reading on the apple community, some people got it back by upgrading to Big Sur, but it didn't work for everyone. Some people said that the logic board was the culprit and needed to be replaced. No thanks. One person said that the culprit for him was Kapersky and the camera worked after deleting it. Now I am wondering if Malwarebytes might be causing me problems, though it never has in the past. Not sure what I'm gonna do if anything. It's not vital.
As I said, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the camera's not being seen by System Info is a far different, more basic, that is, problem than it's being unable to connect to software.

artie505 #60819 02/09/22 09:59 PM
OP Offline

Right. There are many irate and frustrated customers on the Apple forum about this. It's like Apple could care less. No patches offered or anything else. If I didn't dislike PCs so much I would go back.

From what I've been reading on the apple community, some people got it back by upgrading to Big Sur, but it didn't work for everyone. Some people said that the logic board was the culprit and needed to be replaced. No thanks. One person said that the culprit for him was Kapersky and the camera worked after deleting it. Now I am wondering if Malwarebytes might be causing me problems, though it never has in the past. Not sure what I'm gonna do if anything. It's not vital.
As I said, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the camera's not being seen by System Info is a far different, more basic, that is, problem than it's being unable to connect to software.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60820 02/09/22 10:22 PM

Right. There are many irate and frustrated customers on the Apple forum about this. It's like Apple could care less. No patches offered or anything else.
They can't patch a failed/defective camera.

It'll take a class action suit to get them to move, but it doesn't sound like the problem is widespread enough to attract a lawyer's attention.

artie505 #60821 02/09/22 10:34 PM
OP Offline

They can't patch a failed/defective camera. But it passes the hardware test!

It'll take a class action suit to get them to move, but it doesn't sound like the problem is widespread enough to attract a lawyer's attention. [/quote] There are plenty of people affected. AppleCare personnel have been involved, and it's been taken higher up. They have replaced some screens (that fixed it), and I think something else in some cases, but it looks like they are not going to address it. I found out it affects different years and version of Macs. I think it's big enough that they should take responsibility. They won't.

A couple of people said vacuuming the nooks and crannies of the hinge worked. That's hard to believe.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60835 02/11/22 10:03 AM

Whatever that means in "English," i.e. maybe the issue slipped between the cracks in the hardware test but would be obvious to the tools available at the Apple Store.

It'll take a class action suit to get them to move, but it doesn't sound like the problem is widespread enough to attract a lawyer's attention. There are plenty of people affected. AppleCare personnel have been involved, and it's been taken higher up. They have replaced some screens (that fixed it), and I think something else in some cases, but it looks like they are not going to address it. I found out it affects different years and version of Macs. I think it's big enough that they should take responsibility. They won't.
They can only address a clearly defined problem, and from what you've said, none has been brought to the table. Is the number of people who've reported needing to have their screens replaced significant?

Consider your own example: You don't want to travel to an Apple Store where they may be able to diagnose your problem, and you don't even want to go the troubleshooting distance in the form of a reinstallation or upgrade, so why should Apple even address your problem, let alone give you a new screen (an entire screen assembly [which I believe is the most expensive component in a MBP] because the camera isn't a separate, replaceable component), when they've got no idea what it actually is?

If "n" Macs brought to the Genius Bar were diagnosed with the same issue, Apple would be vulnerable, but until that happens...

The fact of the matter is that we know Apple won't address an issue that hasn't been conclusively determined to NOT have been caused by 3rd party software, and we further know that even when they've got their back to the wall they'll fight like cornered rats to avoid accepting responsibility. They've got to be compelled to face reality by customer uproar, and that won't happen until the Genius Bars - not the troubleshooting websites - have been overwhelmed with complaints.

This seems like the sort of thing that might benefit from a dedicated Facebook page.

plantsower #60837 02/11/22 03:09 PM

It'll take a class action suit to get them to move, but it doesn't sound like the problem is widespread enough to attract a lawyer's attention.
There are plenty of people affected. AppleCare personnel have been involved, and it's been taken higher up. They have replaced some screens (that fixed it), and I think something else in some cases, but it looks like they are not going to address it. I found out it affects different years and version of Macs. I think it's big enough that they should take responsibility. They won't.

A couple of people said vacuuming the nooks and crannies of the hinge worked. That's hard to believe. [/quote]
There is always the possibility of coincidental repair. There was a period when Apple was having problems with the cable connecting the monitor to the macBook logicboard. Because some users had apparent success vacuuming out the hinge, which in some cases would joggle the connection back into alignment, that became touted was a sure-fire fix although it had nothing to do with the actual issue. The real fix required a new hinge and connector cable assembly. Fixing the problem is not the answer — it is fixing the right problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60838 02/11/22 03:12 PM

By-the-way, I have not needed to repair or change permissions in macOS in at least five or six years.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #60842 02/11/22 07:25 PM
OP Offline

Why would I go to a Genius Bar an hour away when they will charge me me to poke around and then try to upset me a screen just in case that's it? Others have already used AppleCare and also gone to the Genius Bar with usually no help. Some of those that had their screen replaced said that worked. But it's very expensive and not worth it to me.

They can only address a clearly defined problem, and from what you've said, none has been brought to the table. Is the number of people who've reported needing to have their screens replaced significant? How would I know that. From what I've read, it was mentioned that it's all over forums on the internet, not just Apple.com. I don't have access to stats.

Consider your own example: You don't want to travel to an Apple Store where they may be able to diagnose your problem, and you don't even want to go the troubleshooting distance in the form of a reinstallation or upgrade, so why should Apple even address your problem, let alone give you a new screen (an entire screen assembly [which I believe is the most expensive component in a MBP] because the camera isn't a separate, replaceable component), when they've got no idea what it actually is? I told you a friend put Catalina on a thumb drive and I reinstalled Catalina with no difference in the camera showing up.

If "n" Macs brought to the Genius Bar were diagnosed with the same issue, Apple would be vulnerable, but until that happens..."n" Macs?

The fact of the matter is that we know Apple won't address an issue that hasn't been conclusively determined to NOT have been caused by 3rd party software, and we further know that even when they've got their back to the wall they'll fight like cornered rats to avoid accepting responsibility. They've got to be compelled to face reality by customer uproar, and that won't happen until the Genius Bars - not the troubleshooting websites - have been overwhelmed with complaints. That's what I think it is. Their customer support is nothing like it used to be.

This seems like the sort of thing that might benefit from a dedicated Facebook page. [/quote] Maybe so, but I don't use facebook and don't want to. Maybe I can suggest it the next time I'm on a forum regarding this issue if Apple will even see it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60845 02/11/22 07:47 PM
OP Offline

Wow! The real fix required a new hinge and connector cable assembly. Fixing the problem is not the answer — it is fixing the right problem. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60846 02/11/22 07:49 PM
OP Offline

Are you bragging? LOL! tongue

Originally Posted by joemikeb
By-the-way, I have not needed to repair or change permissions in macOS in at least five or six years.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60853 02/12/22 07:10 PM

Why would I go to a Genius Bar an hour away when they will charge me me to poke around and then try to upset me a screen just in case that's it? Others have already used AppleCare and also gone to the Genius Bar with usually no help. Some of those that had their screen replaced said that worked. But it's very expensive and not worth it to me.
That's totally understandable, but it doesn't help Apple get any closer to identifying the problem.

I told you a friend put Catalina on a thumb drive and I reinstalled Catalina with no difference in the camera showing up.
That's been addressed in your trash permissions thread.

If "n" Macs brought to the Genius Bar were diagnosed with the same issue, Apple would be vulnerable, but until that happens..."n" Macs?
"n" is a convention for an indeterminate number.

This seems like the sort of thing that might benefit from a dedicated Facebook page. Maybe so, but I don't use facebook and don't want to. Maybe I can suggest it the next time I'm on a forum regarding this issue if Apple will even see it.
I'll guess that if a Facebook page were to be created and generate significant interest, Apple would become aware of it and address it in some manner.

artie505 #60857 02/12/22 07:30 PM
OP Offline

That's totally understandable, but it doesn't help Apple get any closer to identifying the problem.

You're right.

I told you a friend put Catalina on a thumb drive and I reinstalled Catalina with no difference in the camera showing up.
That's been addressed in your trash permissions thread. I just saw that earlier today and responded. Thanks.

"n" is a convention for an indeterminate number. Ah..

This seems like the sort of thing that might benefit from a dedicated Facebook page. Maybe so, but I don't use facebook and don't want to. Maybe I can suggest it the next time I'm on a forum regarding this issue if Apple will even see it.
I'll guess that if a Facebook page were to be created and generate significant interest, Apple would become aware of it and address it in some manner.
Yes, I will keep that in mind for problems that no one can seem to find an answer for on other forums. I will suggest it as lots of people actually do use Facebook though I hear they are losing lots of members.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard