FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cool tools
#5915 11/19/09 01:37 AM
OP Offline

Virtual1,

You can have all three of the desirable characteristics at the 35% off sale for the Wiha Inomic pliers ( the ones with their own YouTube video ).

http://www.wihatools.com/special_18.htm

Edit: This post was originally a reply to Virtual1 in What does Apple do with customer's replaced drives, where Virtual1 said "You often have a choice of data protection that is a balance between cost, speed of recovery, and safety. (you can't have all three, pick TWO)."

Last edited by cyn; 11/21/09 04:31 PM. Reason: Changed thread's subject line and added italicized explanatory text.
Re: Cool tools
MicroMatTech3 #5961 11/20/09 02:47 AM

heh.. WOW.

Check out item #32891 on http://www.wihatools.com/300seri/328sets.htm

10 pc tool set for the low low price of $329. Those are $33 screwdrivers. Nothankyouverymuch wink

I don't deal with HV much anymore either. Oh and wow, I had to exchange another sears T-6 the other day. SECOND time I've turned one of them like a corkscrew. They gave me the usual funny look. I bought two others while I was there, of different brands of T-6. Took one back to the shop and tried it. Instead of corkscrewing, it IMMEDIATELY rounded the thread right off the tool trying to back out the first screw. Wow and I thought the others were bad... go wiha I guess. Something to be said for case hardened tips.

Unfortunately they're a bit tight to get me good tools so I have Craftsman on my bench and Wiha in my laptop bag. smile

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #5995 11/21/09 03:50 AM
OP Offline

Virtual1,

I gave up on Craftsmen tools when I had to try to remove a pedal on a Legnano bicycle. The wrench was chewed up, while this lettering was not even scratched:

BREV. INTER. CAMP.

Campagnolo itself suggested Snap-On when I needed additional tools.

There is other tool news, for those who do a bit of demolition:

Nail Jack.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #5996 11/21/09 04:34 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I've detached this branch of replies from Pendragon's What does Apple do with customer's replaced drives so that topic can stay focused on his question. I'll move this new thread to the Lounge in a day or two.

Last edited by cyn; 11/23/09 04:01 AM. Reason: Thread moved from Peripherals to the Lounge.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
MicroMatTech3 #6009 11/22/09 09:42 PM

Does snapon make precision tools? I was under the impression that snapon was the large tool of choice and wiha was the precision of choice?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #6027 11/23/09 03:08 AM
OP Offline

I think you are correct. Campagnolo suggested Snap-On wrenches and torque wrenches for working on bicycle parts for which they did not have their own tools. Snap-On now owns Bahco of Sweden, which makes the outstanding Bahco Ergo large screwdrivers and gardening tools of advanced design. The Bahco Ergo tools are often very hard to find in the USA, partly because someone renamed them Lindstrom:

Bahco by Snap-On BE-9881 Premium Ergonomic Screwdriver Set.

The photo does not show the graphic on the tips of the handles, which indicates what type of tip the blade has. The industrial design was done by female industrial designers at Ergonomidesign, who brought no preconceptions to the project. The screwdrivers won design awards, and were sold by the Museum of Modern Art.

I have a massive Bahco Ergo flat-blade screwdriver, as large as a #4 phillips model, which I used to disassemble a Nakashima table owned by a friend, so the table could be shipped.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #6045 11/23/09 09:52 PM

Sweet screwdriver set, if a bit pricey. I can't help but notice it's more than quadruple the price of the last one I bought...

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #6052 11/24/09 01:15 AM
OP Offline

Tacit,

True enough, but when the owner of the Nakashima table trusts nobody else to disassemble it, it does help to have world-class tools. It should be noted that the table is worth about seven times its original purchase price.

As far as I can tell, the real advantage to expensive tools is their precision, and the fact that they will not be chewed up in dealing with hardened steel fasteners. I will never forget the flame-hardened Campagnolo pedal axle, which simply defeated the mass-market American wrench that attempted to loosen it. I doubt I will ever have to replace my Bahco Ergo screwdrivers. They show no signs of wear.

I have been asked by friends to disassemble some very expensive modern furniture from Herman Miller, Knoll Studio, and USM Haller. These products are assembled using the finest tools that can be found, and deserve no less in the disassembly.

I decided to order all three of the Wiha Inomic pliers (at 35% off), having used ones at least fifty years old for most of my life. These pliers are so advanced that if a hostile alien civilization landed on earth, they might beat a hasty retreat, on the grounds that our primitive spacecraft were a deliberate deception, and our best pliers are a true indication of the state of our technology :-)

A friend of mine who just returned from the New York Custom Knife Show wanted to bring to my attention another kind of precision:

Shosui Takeda sharpens a knife. His knives can be purchased at Blacksmith Takeda from Japan.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #6078 11/25/09 12:27 AM

Wow. Neat video--that guy's quite a craftsman!

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard