for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Starting from scratch, older iMac
artie505 #60674 01/24/22 04:21 PM

The link given to the December article doesn't help. The article pops up but the hotlinks embedded do not allow for downloading, irrespective of what the article says -- ie, it seems to be a dead-end.
Any other thoughts? I'm looking for downloadable High Sierra (10.13).

grelber #60675 01/24/22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by grelber
The link given to the December article doesn't help. The article pops up but the hotlinks embedded do not allow for downloading, irrespective of what the article says -- ie, it seems to be a dead-end.
Any other thoughts? I'm looking for downloadable High Sierra (10.13).
I'm not sure which article is "the December" one, but you should be able to d/l High Sierra via macOS High Sierra on the AppĀ Store.

More: I found that article, and the HS link takes me to the same App Store page as above. <How to download an old macOS installer | AppleInsider>
Dunno what's up on your end.

Last edited by artie505; 01/24/22 06:19 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60676 01/24/22 06:29 PM

You cited <https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/12/03/how-to-download-an-old-macos-installer>, which stated one could download High Sierra from the Apple Store, but trying to access same gave no indication how that might be accomplished and the Apple Store page which showed up had no links to the appropriate site at the Apple Store with a link to download High Sierra 10.13.6.
Keep in mind that I have to be able to download the site/app via a non-Apple/Mac system in order to manage such download in finite time (ie, via a WiFi connection), given its 4.8GB size.
So, any other thoughts? Solutions? Resolutions?

grelber #60677 01/24/22 07:56 PM

When I click on your link I see this when I scroll down the page.
When I click on the High Sierra link I am taken to this Mac App Store "Preview" page (with its "View in Mac App Store" link), which almost immediately redirects me to this page in the App Store with that little "Get" in the top right corner.
If you're not seeing the same thing, I've got no idea what to tell you.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60678 01/24/22 09:05 PM

RE "When I click on the High Sierra link I am taken to this Mac App Store "Preview" page (with its "View in Mac App Store" link), which almost immediately redirects me to this page in the App Store with that little "Get" in the top right corner. If you're not seeing the same thing, I've got no idea what to tell you."

Apparently that's the problem. When I access the same page (from a non-Mac) the box with "View in Mac App Store" does NOT appear and is therefore not accessible.
If you've got a URL for the last page you've shown (with the "GET" box), please supply same. Otherwise I guess I'm SOL.

From all I can determine it is IMPOSSIBLE to find and download apps from the App Store unless one accesses the App Store via a Mac. [Even when I access my Apple Store account via a non-Mac, there's no way I can access apps, in particular the one I'm now looking for.] So, I guess I am definitely SOL.

grelber #60679 01/25/22 01:11 AM

That last page is an App Store page. It hasn't got a URL.

As you present the circumstances, I can offer you two options;
  1. I've got an app that is supposed to enable me to send files as big as the HS installer via email, but to take advantage of it, you'll have to give me an email address and be able to do the d/l via a much faster internet connection than your own.
  2. If you've got a street address that you feel free to post or email to me, I'll be happy to burn the HS installer to a DVD and snail mail it to you.

Alternatively, I suggest that you call Apple and see if they've maybe come to their senses and offer a means for you to get HS directly from them. Yours is the situation I railed about when Apple switched to its new d/l procedure, and although you're the only FTM poster to have run into the issue, I'm sure there are many others who haven't reached us, and perhaps Apple has come 'round to accommodating you-all.

Last edited by artie505; 01/25/22 01:30 AM.

artie505 #60684 01/25/22 04:10 PM

Many thanks for the offer(s).
If I decide to upgrade to High Sierra, I can always have one of my tech savvy colleagues in my neck of the woods provide me with same.
Movin' on.

artie505 #60709 01/29/22 07:19 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by artie505
WOW! What an ordeal, particularly when you factor in the irony.
And, it ain't over. Couple of odd things with the machine (El Capitan 10.11.6):

Safari - When I go to many sites, including FTM, I cannot enter because Safari puts up a caution "This connection is not private". It has two buttons "Show Details" and "Go Back" but neither works. i.e. clicking on them doesn't cause any action.

Clock - It is about 2 1/2 minutes fast but, when I go into clock preferences, I cannot make any adjustments. The up/down arrows are greyed out. Update: Fixed the clock adjustment issue (took it off Set Date Time Automatically) although I wonder why the automatic setting couldn't get the time right.

Last edited by ryck; 01/29/22 07:30 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #60710 01/29/22 07:38 PM

Have you done an erase and clean install, which is now possible since you're in El Cap, on this Mac?

Considering all the issues you've suffered through to get to this point, I'm not at all surprised that an upgrade of the installation that spawned them is wonky.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard