for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can't delete just one text
plantsower #60492 01/09/22 01:40 AM

That means your message is being routed as an SMS message. If it were going via iMassage the bubble would be blue. That in turn leads me to suspect some sort of blocker/filter/etc. at your cellular phone provider as a cause of your inexplicable messages.

Look at the entry for your name in Contacts:
  • Are the email address and telephone number associated with your Apple ID listed?
  • Is there a "me" icon next to your name in the contacts list?

If the answer to either or both of those is NO, that needs to be corrected.

If you have an iPhone be sure that in Settings > iCloud > and likewise on your Mac in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Drive > OPTIONS — be sure Messages is turned ON and it won't hut to have Contacts turned on in both places as well. This won't effect the inexplicable STOP notifications, but it will assure your messages are synchronized between your devices and has no attached cost or risk.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60493 01/09/22 03:29 AM
OP Offline

Look at the entry for your name in Contacts:
  • Are the email address and telephone number associated with your Apple ID listed? They are now. The phone number was in my contacts, and the email was previously, but I have recently changed my email address for my apple ID so I just changed it in my contacts.
  • Is there a "me" icon next to your name in the contacts list? My initials are next to my name in a gray circle if that's what you mean.

If the answer to either or both of those is NO, that needs to be corrected.

If you have an iPhone be sure that in Settings > iCloud > and likewise on your Mac in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Drive > OPTIONS — be sure Messages is turned ON and it won't hut to have Contacts turned on in both places as well. This won't effect the inexplicable STOP notifications, but it will assure your messages are synchronized between your devices and has no attached cost or risk. [/quote] I know that you may find this weird, but when I went to iCloud Drive on my Mac, contacts was in the list but not Messages. I checked "contacts." When I clicked on Options, neither one was listed there. I went ahead and turned them on in iPhone though.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60500 01/09/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
They are now. The phone number was in my contacts, and the email was previously, but I have recently changed my email address for my apple ID so I just changed it in my contacts.
[*]Is there a "me" icon next to your name in the contacts list? My initials are next to my name in a gray circle if that's what you mean.
Follow these instructions to set up "My Card" in contacts

I know that you may find this weird, but when I went to iCloud Drive on my Mac, contacts was in the list but not Messages. I checked "contacts." When I clicked on Options, neither one was listed there. I went ahead and turned them on in iPhone though.
Not weird, just an elderly version of MacOS. If you didn't find Messages, is iMessage in the list on your Mac? If so turn it ON.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60504 01/09/22 06:37 PM
OP Offline

Follow these instructions to set up "My Card" in contacts. There is no My Card listed there.

I know that you may find this weird, but when I went to iCloud Drive on my Mac, contacts was in the list but not Messages. I checked "contacts." When I clicked on Options, neither one was listed there. I went ahead and turned them on in iPhone though.
Not weird, just an elderly version of MacOS. If you didn't find Messages, is iMessage in the list on your Mac? If so turn it ON. [/quote]

I mean Messages (I know Messages and iMessage is the same thing) is turned on because I use it. But it's not listed where you told me to look in iCloud in system prefs.

I also just noticed that when I merged everything yesterday, I lost some of my contacts in my Mac though they are still in my iPhone contacts.

Last edited by plantsower; 01/09/22 06:42 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60507 01/09/22 08:20 PM

I mean Messages (I know Messages and iMessage is the same thing) is turned on because I use it. But it's not listed where you told me to look in iCloud in system prefs.
Nor on my installation running the same 10.15.7. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #60511 01/09/22 11:05 PM

Follow these instructions to set up "My Card" in contacts. There is no My Card listed there.
Color me confused The title of the referenced Apple article is Set up your My Card in Contacts on Mac and the content is a step by step on setting one up. As you already have a card that can be used, just scroll down the page and under the heading [I]View My card you will find an example of what the "Me Icon" looks like and a little further down under Make Changes To Your Card there are instructions on how to make a given Contact card into "My card" and details of how that gets linked between devices.

I also just noticed that when I merged everything yesterday, I lost some of my contacts in my Mac though they are still in my iPhone contacts.
Give it some time to. settle but unless you turn iCloud > Contacts ON in your Mac the contacts will not synch between you iPhone and Mac. Log onto your iCloud account and see which device's Contacts are synchronized with iCloud.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60514 01/09/22 11:26 PM
OP Offline

Will do when I get a chance. Thank you.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Color me confused The title of the referenced Apple article is Set up your My Card in Contacts on Mac and the content is a step by step on setting one up. As you already have a card that can be used, just scroll down the page and under the heading [I]View My card you will find an example of what the "Me Icon" looks like and a little further down under Make Changes To Your Card there are instructions on how to make a given Contact card into "My card" and details of how that gets linked between devices.

Give it some time to. settle but unless you turn iCloud > Contacts ON in your Mac the contacts will not synch between you iPhone and Mac. Log onto your iCloud account and see which device's Contacts are synchronized with iCloud.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #60516 01/10/22 03:52 AM
OP Offline

Okay, this time I found "My Card." Funny, when I clicked on it, it showed a card of mine (I had two) that isn't in my contacts anymore after merging, but it showed up in My Card! I checked iCloud and I should be synched with my iPhone and my other Mac according to what is shown. Also, in that my card the "make this my card" was grayed out. I supposed I can just delete my cards and start over.

Originally Posted by joemikeb

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #61082 03/10/22 07:01 PM
OP Offline

Well, I thought I was done with this, but it's happening again. My Mac and my iPhone both show the same texts. I like that. But usually when I delete them from one device I have to separately delete them from the other device. I like that, too. Today I deleted some texts from my iPhone. It then deleted them from my Mac without my permission. Sometimes when this happens, I can quit Messages on my mac then go back in, and they reappear on my mac. (Of course this is usually when I delete one message off my macbook and then they all disappear.) This time it didn't. I'm so mad! mad I didn't want the ones on my Mac deleted because that's where I do most of my texting, and I had conversations going. I have everything sent to "forever" so I don't get it.

Something weird has been happening the past couple of days. When I go to delete one text out of 3 on my Mac, they all get deleted! Each text has an "x" on it to press and click to delete. Some of those texts I wanted to keep for a day or two until the conversation was finished. Any idea what's going on or what I can do about it? I haven't changed any of my settings.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard