for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Missing Mail Content
plantsower #60308 12/24/21 02:35 PM

Post screenshots of both your accounts so we can visualize what you are seeing.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60314 12/24/21 08:16 PM
OP Offline

For some reason I couldn't get the attachment feature to work here so I am just sending the url's of the Imgur images of my emails.

https://imgur.com/BzGASLV This is a pic of my normal everyday email which isn't working. You can see that the headers show up but no content.

https://imgur.com/igO4I6V This one show my testing email which shows the header and the content properly. Same computer but email not working in everyday login.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Post screenshots of both your accounts so we can visualize what you are seeing.
https://imgur.com/BzGASLV https://imgur.com/BzGASLV[url=http://][/url]

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60315 12/24/21 08:36 PM

Judging from your first screenshot, it looks like dkmarsh may be correct.

Can we see a shot of the bottom of that first page, please?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60316 12/24/21 08:46 PM
OP Offline

Here you go. It's not a dot with 2 lines, it's just a gray dot and it only makes the window larger or smaller. It does not bring up the contents. Bottom of mail screen shot.

Originally Posted by artie505
Judging from your first screenshot, it looks like dkmarsh may be correct.

Can we see a shot of the bottom of that first page, please?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60317 12/24/21 08:55 PM

The dot is what we're looking for, but dragging it up as far as it will go should bring up the contents.

The fact that things work as expected in your test account suggests that com.apple.mail.plist may be corrupted, but I've got no idea if trashing it would be at all useful.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #60319 12/24/21 09:42 PM
OP Offline

Yes, I've used that dot in the past to bring up the contents. But I'm telling you all it does is shorten the window now. Maybe I will try to find the com.apple.mail.plist and toss it and see what happens. I'll let you know.

The dot is what we're looking for, but dragging it up as far as it will go should bring up the contents.

The fact that things work as expected in your test account suggests that com.apple.mail.plist may be corrupted, but I've got no idea if trashing it would be at all useful.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60320 12/24/21 09:46 PM
OP Offline

Before I do that, what do you think of these instructions? Apple Mail Folder

Originally Posted by plantsower
Yes, I've used that dot in the past to bring up the contents. But I'm telling you all it does is shorten the window now. Maybe I will try to find the com.apple.mail.plist and toss it and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60321 12/24/21 09:49 PM

For some reason I couldn't get the attachment feature to work here so I am just sending the url's of the Imgur images of my emails.

That feature is disabled FIneTunedMac to conserve disk space.

https://imgur.com/BzGASLV This is a pic of my normal everyday email which isn't working. You can see that the headers show up but no content.

https://imgur.com/igO4I6V This one show my testing email which shows the header and the content properly. Same computer but email not working in everyday login.

There are four settings necessary to achieve the screen you desire and they are all four in different places: tongue
  1. Click on Mailboxes in the Favorites bar to activate the Mailboxes sidebar
  2. on the menu bar select View > Show Bottom Preview to put the list of messages above the preview window
  3. In Mail > Preferences > Viewing set List Preview to 0 lines
  4. As Ira suggested and Artie confirmed, place your cursor at the very bottom of the mail window and when it turns into an inverted T with an upward pointing arrow on the stem ( — not the double up/down arrow) then click and drag it about half way up the screen to open the Preview pane of the window.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60322 12/24/21 10:06 PM
OP Offline

Well, I got it to work later. LOL!

That feature is disabled FIneTunedMac to conserve disk space.

There are four settings necessary to achieve the screen you desire and they are all four in different places: tongue
  1. Click on Mailboxes in the Favorites bar to activate the Mailboxes sidebar Done.
  2. on the menu bar select View > Show Bottom Preview to put the list of messages above the preview window Show Bottom Preview does not exist in my drop down list as you can see. Mail View
  3. In Mail > Preferences > Viewing set List Preview to 0 lines Done.
  4. As Ira suggested and Artie confirmed, place your cursor at the very bottom of the mail window and when it turns into an inverted T with an upward pointing arrow on the stem ( — not the double up/down arrow) then click and drag it about half way up the screen to open the Preview pane of the window.
[/quote]

Still just shortened the window using the inverted "T". Maybe the Show Bottom Preview would have fixed it, but I don't have that option in Catalina apparently.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60325 12/24/21 10:30 PM

:dope slap: The content of the View menu changes according to the options that are currently selected. Deselect show column layout and Show bottom Preview should appear in place of Show Side Preview.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60327 12/24/21 11:12 PM
OP Offline

Nope! I deselected Show Column Layout but the other never popped up. Then I deselected Show Side Preview just in case but nothing! Boo Hoo Hoo!

:dope slap: The content of the View menu changes according to the options that are currently selected. Deselect show column layout and Show bottom Preview should appear in place of Show Side Preview.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #60330 12/24/21 11:55 PM
OP Offline

OK, threw out the plist. No difference.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60333 12/25/21 12:59 AM

I followed your above link, and it looks to me as if Glenn Leblanc is correct, because I just looked at ~/Library/Prefs/com.apple.mail.plist on my MBP (also running 10.15.7), and it was last modified in April 2018, which pretty much confirms that it's been supplanted. (I confirmed that by deleting mine and restarting without the file being recreated.)

I suggest that you follow these instructions:
Originally Posted by Glenn Leblanc
It's actually in the Containers folder of your user library: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
However, if your going to reset the Mail defaults, you would be better to delete the com.apple.mail folder, and not individual files within.
If you have one in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder, delete it. It won't be replaced.

Container folder path is:
~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Quit Mail, move that folder to the trash your desktop, then open Mail. You will need to reset your defaults. If something goes wrong, you can always put that folder back and replace the new one that was created. (Emphasis added)
The only thing I'd add is that the suggestion that you restart your MBP immediately after moving that folder to your desktop...before reopening Mail.

artie505 #60334 12/25/21 01:43 AM
OP Offline

I'm confused about which path to follow. When you have time could you give me a step by step instruction list?
There are several paths mentioned and I might do the wrong one

I followed your above link, and it looks to me as if Glenn Leblanc is correct, because I just looked at ~/Library/Prefs/com.apple.mail.plist on my MBP (also running 10.15.7), and it was last modified in April 2018, which pretty much confirms that it's been supplanted. (I confirmed that by deleting mine and restarting without the file being recreated.)

I suggest that you follow these instructions:
Originally Posted by Glenn Leblanc
It's actually in the Containers folder of your user library: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
However, if your going to reset the Mail defaults, you would be better to delete the com.apple.mail folder, and not individual files within.
If you have one in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder, delete it. It won't be replaced.

Container folder path is:
~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Quit Mail, move that folder to the trash your desktop, then open Mail. You will need to reset your defaults. If something goes wrong, you can always put that folder back and replace the new one that was created. (Emphasis added)
The only thing I'd add is that the suggestion that you restart your MBP immediately after moving that folder to your desktop...before reopening Mail.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60335 12/25/21 02:13 AM

I'm confused about which path to follow. When you have time could you give me a step by step instruction list?
In Finder, hit command-shift-G, and enter "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail" (no quotes) in the field.

The folder that comes up in blue is the one you want to move to your desktop.

artie505 #60336 12/25/21 02:18 AM
OP Offline

So simple. Thanks.

In Finder, hit command-shift-G, and enter "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail" (no quotes) in the field.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60337 12/25/21 02:56 AM
OP Offline

OMG! It worked! Thank you! But, always something, right? The headers are in small letters. I tried changing the fonts but that didn't help. Also, all my saved folders disappeared on the side like for my receipts, etc. They are still on the Yahoo website but not reflected anymore in Apple Mail. Merry Christmas to me! Oh, and do I trash the blue folder I put on my desk top or put it back? Thanks for being so helpful, always.

Update: I was finally able to change the header font size. But, my sorting folders are till missing.

So simple. Thanks.

Last edited by plantsower; 12/25/21 03:04 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60338 12/25/21 03:30 AM
OP Offline

OMG! It worked! Thank you! But, always something, right? The headers are in small letters. I tried changing the fonts but that didn't help. Also, all my saved folders disappeared on the side like for my receipts, etc. They are still on the Yahoo website but not reflected anymore in Apple Mail. Merry Christmas to me! Oh, and do I trash the blue folder I put on my desk top or put it back? Thanks for being so helpful, always.

Update: I was finally able to change the header font size. But, my sorting folders are till missing.

Nevermind, I finally found those, too. Yippee!

So simple. Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60339 12/25/21 04:15 AM

Great!

You can trash the folder on your desktop as long as you're certain that everything is running as expected.

artie505 #60340 12/25/21 04:16 AM
OP Offline

OK. Thanks again. I am very happy.

Great!

You can trash the folder on your desktop as long as you're certain that everything is running as expected.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60342 12/25/21 04:42 AM

OK. Thanks again. I am very happy.
smile laugh

joemikeb #60343 12/25/21 04:48 AM
OP Offline

Joe: Look at what finally worked!

Restart your MBP immediately after moving that folder to your desktop...before reopening Mail.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60347 12/25/21 01:27 PM

By the way, it's a good thing you posted the link to that Apple discussion, because I had totally forgotten about the new container structure. crazy

artie505 #60350 12/25/21 06:09 PM
OP Offline

Yay! It's all I could find, but I knew I would need you to decipher it.

By the way, it's a good thing you posted the link to that Apple discussion, because I had totally forgotten about the new container structure. crazy

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60358 12/26/21 03:21 PM

Joe: Look at what finally worked!

Restart your MBP immediately after moving that folder to your desktop...before reopening Mail.

I don't know who is worse in coming up with puzzling conditions, you or keys (confused) but puzzlers like yours make FTM interesting. Glad you got it solved cool

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard