Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Up 5am do not distrub off
#60246 12/21/21 06:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Call came in woke up up 5am then took 15 min figure out: Apple turned off do not disturb, and then changed name to parent folder called Focus, hidden in there? Crazy.. Think solved it, but Whew... is this odd/ weird for them to do?

Re: Up 5am do not distrub off
kevs #60247 12/21/21 07:56 PM

Neither weird nor crazy. Do Not Disturb has been absorbed into a major, and highly regarded, new feature called Focus. The difference is you can define multiple different focuses and specify who or what interrupts are acceptable in each. You can even specify specific conditions that will trigger each different Focus setting. For example: I have modified the I'm Driving focus so that rather than all telephone calls being blocked calls from my wife can get through. (She is adamant abut not taking phone calls while driving, but by her logic, her calls are not only okay to answer but darn well better be answered. confused) You can find instructions for setting up and using Focus here.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60251 12/21/21 10:04 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, did not get the memo, just the loud, very loud ringing at 5:30am..... ok will read the link thanks. (I'm assuming Apple could not keep my do not disturb on while making the interface change)

Driving, do you/ people.. set on off each drive? iphone can't know driving right?

kevs #60252 12/22/21 12:49 AM

The iPhone can detect you are riding in a vehicle in motion (and by inference are driving) by any one of three different mechanisms
  1. Its motion sensors can recognize a pattern peculiar to driving q vehicle (similar to how the Apple watch knows when you are washing your hands.
  2. the bluetooth transceiver can recognize it has connected with a vehicle's infotainment system
  3. it can detect either a bluetooth or USB connection with a specific Car Play device

it has long been possible to silence incoming phone calls and messages while in a moving vehicle as well as to signal I am not driving. Focus adds the ability to choose which callers you are willing to accept calls from while you are driving.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/22/21 12:51 AM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60256 12/22/21 01:26 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, 2 and 3 would not pertain to me , older car without the new technology, but maybe 1 could work.

I like doing calls while driving, but don't like the hassle of putting on a bluetooth, so I'd love a car one day where I could just say, answer, and talk without anything in the ear.

I can also understand those who don't want to be bothered.

joemikeb #60266 12/22/21 01:59 PM

You may like Doing calls while driving but that is considered one of the most dangerous activities you can engage in while behind the wheel and is only slightly less dangerous than texting while driving.

Just saying!

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60277 12/22/21 08:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, got another call, 6am this morning, turns out do not disturb did not remember my setting. So got and really put them in again.

Now problem, lost all my business calls this morning, noon. Sending everyone to voicemail even though it's noon and I chose 11pm to 9am everyday.

Stumped, real killer this new interface:

So Noon, I had set 11pm to 9am everyday, yet noon, and clients going to voicemail. Stump. Rebooted phone, no luck

I have focus statues disabled as don't use that right? Thats just if you want start targeting.

Trying to get screenshot for you, but photos on imac where typing from not update from iphone well/ fast.

kevs #60279 12/22/21 08:09 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

On bluetooth or with cord, why find talking on phone so dangerous? Im sure studies on this. thanks.

Big issue not do not disturb not work, when on sending all to voicemail even during day when I have set to 11 pm to 9am.

kevs #60281 12/22/21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
I have focus statues disabled as don't use that right? Thats just if you want start targeting.

[Big issue not do not disturb not work, when on sending all to voicemail even during day when I have set to 11 pm to 9am.

I am not sure what you are setting and there are lots of options so the best I can offer is to refer you to the following on-line instructions/tutorials on using Focus in iOS 15:
  1. Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (written article)
  2. iOS 15 Focus - Everything New and How To Use It (12 minute You Tube video)
  3. How to Use Focus Mode on iOS 15 (4:19 You Tube video)

Hopefully those will answer your questions.

Originally Posted by keys
Trying to get screenshot for you, but photos on imac where typing from not update from iphone well/ fast.

For what it is worth, I have found the fastest way to get a screenshot from my iPhone to my Mac mini is Air Drop

On bluetooth or with cord, why find talking on phone so dangerous? Im sure studies on this. thanks.

20+ Distracted Driving Statistics & Facts for 2021 (car insurance.net), National Safety Council, National traffic Safety Administration, State of Texas, Federal Motor Carrier Association, National Conference of State Legislatures, Federal Communications Commission, Traffic Lawyer Distracted Driving Offenses — these is just from the first DuckDuckGo search page. Although it is nearly impossible to enforce most states and thousands of jurisdictions have criminal laws prohibiting distracted driving (the common term used for cell phone use while driving and includes hands free as well as hands on use.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/22/21 09:36 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60282 12/22/21 09:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, will read all those bit later thanks.

I did get screenshot now imac, came up since then: Maybe I screwed something up? To me I have do not disturb set start at 11pm and stop at 9am; yet all calls coming in today midday, go to voicemail with the do not disturb turned on -- green-- maybe I'm not interpreting something right?

https://postimg.cc/LqwW2rg6

I've used airdrop a few times with clients, for downloading folder of images to their laptops they bring. Its not too intuitive, but very cool and it works... To get a something from iphone to an imac, in nutshell just bring your iphone into the room with imac, and point it at imac, and make sure air drop is on for both ? (that my intuitive guess on that)

kevs #60286 12/22/21 10:45 PM

Thanks Joe, will read all those bit later thanks.

I did get screenshot now imac, came up since then: Maybe I screwed something up? To me I have do not disturb set start at 11pm and stop at 9am; yet all calls coming in today midday, go to voicemail with the do not disturb turned on -- green-- maybe I'm not interpreting something right?

https://postimg.cc/LqwW2rg6
I am not sure what screen you are on but since you mentioned Focus I am assuming you are in iOS 15 — correct?

I've used airdrop a few times with clients, for downloading folder of images to their laptops they bring. Its not too intuitive, but very cool and it works... To get a something from iphone to an imac, in nutshell just bring your iphone into the room with imac, and point it at imac, and make sure air drop is on for both ? (that my intuitive guess on that)

Air Drop is a little more complicated than that. The sending and receiving devices have to be in bluetooth range and Air Drop is triggered through the sharing icon then tapping AirDrop followed by the target device.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60290 12/23/21 12:04 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm on .. if go into --do not disturb -- and choose hours.

Yes 15

kevs #60296 12/23/21 08:34 PM

I think I understand where your confusion is coming from and it is very understandable. In Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb...
  • Status/Switch: The switch in the upper right corner of the window indicates the current status of the focus (green) indicates it is currently active) and sliding it left or right manually overrides the current status.
  • Options > Focus Status: if ON and focus is active message senders will receive a notification the focus is ON.
  • Smart Activation: in essence enables schedules & automations

recommendations and suggestions:
  1. Use the sleep focus rather than Do Not Disturb at night. It offers additional automation settings and is tied to the sleep function in the Health app.
  2. Set times in 24 hour format ([ie.]22:00 to 06:00 rather than 10:00 PM to 6;00 AM) as it is less subject to errors.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60302 12/24/21 01:57 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, was going to consign this headache to my nest apple call where have 3 unsolvable thing sto call about, but trying your method now tthanks.

Still stuck, just add edmy Mom, to be the first and only person to get through a do not disturb, Nice new feature! They must have gottne thousands of request for that. Alas, still stuck, I click DONE twice, and then back yet does not stick or stay,
she is gone where I come back to add people.

Have not gotten to how to do the scheduled with Focus This is a REAL MESSED UP FEATURE focus.

I upgraded to new IOS last night and though normal do not disturb would work -- no luck. So thanks, going with your new idea, but stuck.

Any idea why adding a person does not stick? Thanks for bearing with it / me.

kevs #60307 12/24/21 02:31 PM

I presume your process to add your mother is as follows:
  1. In Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb you clicked the Plus sign under Allowed Notifications
  2. Chose your mothers entry from the list of Contacts
  3. Clicked on Done at the top of the window

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60309 12/24/21 02:49 PM

New Thought:

When you select your mother's entry in the contacts list be sure that her entry is not only highlighted, but the circle to the left of her entry has a checkmark in it before you clock Done.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60318 12/24/21 08:59 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe!
Ok did it your way went well, thanks, clicked done, Mom in there with circle, turned on green do not disturbe, schedule for 11pm to 9am.

Will my spare phone called my number, 1pm and went straight to voice mail.

So this glitch/ bug remains, amazing.

kevs #60323 12/24/21 10:12 PM

In Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb was the Status button set to Green, as seen here then the focus is performing exactly correctly. Set it to OFF as seen here then try calling our phone again. Try a third time between 11PM and 9AM and see whaat happens with that call.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/24/21 10:12 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60326 12/24/21 10:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, right now off, and it must be off, or I don't receive calls.

At 11pm, I 'll try off, and then on and report back!

kevs #60353 12/25/21 07:41 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok Joe good test, after 11pm, it worked, call goes straight to voicemail.

Yet, dang, after 9am, calls still goes to voicemail. It's like it does not wake up even though I've set the schedule On from 11pm to 9am.

kevs #60357 12/26/21 03:08 PM

I don't know why Do Not Disturb did not switch off on schedule. As I said I use the Sleep focus overnight and I only trigger the Do Not Disturb focus manually. Try again and this time be sure in Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb: Smart Activation is set to OFF.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60377 12/27/21 03:01 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe Thanks! Ok did not see smart activation at all. But to be honest can't remember now if on or off. So many things now, endless.
Ok smart off, and still block calls.. now at 7pm test.. So still stuck, was hoping that would work, so still on my list of 4-5 unsolvable things to go over on my next draining Apple call!

kevs #60404 12/29/21 04:12 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

New development Joe, thought maybe one time fluke, but now seen it twice. I've turn off Do not Disturb until I do my Apple call.

But iphone turns on Do not disturb on it's own! Wake up and it's on. No idea why doing that. I see Share across all devices is on, on green, I turned that on as it said I was forced to do that to get this to work.

Baffled Stumped .. Like Westworld the robots are taking over! Any ideas?

(the schedule was on to turned it off, and deleted schedule) The is one ipad in house, but can't image that got in the mix, that is just mirror what iphone is doing..)

Stumped.

Deleted schedule (sad as I entered that schedule tediosly 5 times). Only thing up is Mom photo.

Last edited by kevs; 12/29/21 04:14 PM.
kevs #60406 12/29/21 09:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Nevermind, all solved, spoke supervisor Apple, the do not disturb Green, on, means manual so stay on 24/ 7, keep that to off and the schedule at bottom only does the trick.

kevs #60407 12/29/21 10:06 PM

There are other functions in iOS that either turn Do Not Disturb ON or set a Focus that is functionally a near duplicate of DND but with a slightly different and easily overlooked icon. Offhand I can think of two conditions that prior to the advent of their own unique Focus triggered Do Not Disturb.
  1. Settings > Focus > Driving
  2. Settings > Focus > Sleep (also accessible in the Health App > Sleep category > Your schedule > Full Schedule & Options > Options)

If either of these is either manually set to Active or has status set to ON they may be triggered by events and especially in the case of Driving may not automatically trigger OFF. Double check their settings and be sure both have Focus Status set to OFF.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60409 12/29/21 11:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Got it Joe, thanks.

kevs #60410 12/30/21 05:54 PM

Nevermind, all solved, spoke supervisor Apple, the do not disturb Green, on, means manual so stay on 24/ 7, keep that to off and the schedule at bottom only does the trick.

Thanks for sharing that. It helps to resolve a problem my wife was having.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #60421 12/31/21 06:57 PM

I'm not sure if it directly addresses this specific issue, but this article addresses the general problem with the changes in "Do Not Disturb" that arose with iOS 15.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #60425 12/31/21 11:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira thanks, well lot of Joe likes, none of which I use yet.

Was pulling my hair out, now ok after my Apple call. Just fact that Apple not smart enough to keep your settings,,, they wipe them out, and I find out about Focus with a 5am phone call is crazy right?

Ira L #60435 01/02/22 03:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira luck ran out: UP with loud call 6am even though do not disturb off and schedule was on for 11pm to 9am. So have to call apple again. What has been your experience with this?

kevs #60436 01/02/22 05:02 PM

Ira luck ran out: UP with loud call 6am even though do not disturb off and schedule was on for 11pm to 9am. So have to call apple again. What has been your experience with this?

There are specific conditions that can override Do Not Disturb unless they are specifically disallowed in Settings...

Was it a phone call. a Notification, or an alarm that woke you up?

Was Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb > Smart Activation — ON?

Was Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb > Allowed Notifications > People > Also Allow > Allow Repeated Calls — ON?

Was Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb > Allowed Notifications > Apps > Time Sensitive — ON?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60440 01/02/22 10:09 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe
iphone,

Smart activation off

Also allow, no One (interesting on repeated call, never heard of that, now know why people call 2 times in row!) annoying.

Apps off.

Now "think " solved it.. Did not notice Schedule has it's own Green on slider, I'm sure on since talk with Apple rep but who knows.

AND..... there is no APPLY OR DONE after do enter schedule, so very very easy to think your fine when you are not. (unless I can't find it) IE you schedule, NO apply or Done (am I wrong, so you think it applied but did not?)

So think solved now.. who knows. So many many many things with new Focus that can be off. Bottomless

kevs #60441 01/03/22 12:17 AM

Smart activation off
You might try turning that one ON

Also allow, no One (interesting on repeated call, never heard of that, now know why people call 2 times in row!) annoying.
Annoying, but a long hallowed method on all cellular, and many land line systems, to allow for important or Emergency calls to bypass call blockers and do not disturb settings.

Apps off.

Now "think " solved it.. Did not notice Schedule has it's own Green on slider, I'm sure on since talk with Apple rep but who knows.
yeah that slider turns the schedule on making it possible to multiple schedules for the same focus. To my way of thinking this together with the Do Not Disturb slider are the most confusing. Technically the Do Not Disturb slider is a combination OFF/ON switch and indicator of the CURRENT status of the focus. (If you looked while Do Not Disturb is actively blocking calls the switch would be green.) But that still leaves the Focus Status option which turns on an announcement to callers and message senders alike that you have Do Not Disturb turned on. All of this makes at least one too many status switches/indicators. Apple needs to work on titles for all these IMHO.

AND..... there is no APPLY OR DONE after do enter schedule, so very very easy to think your fine when you are not. (unless I can't find it) IE you schedule, NO apply or Done (am I wrong, so you think it applied but did not?)

So think solved now.. who knows. So many many many things with new Focus that can be off. Bottomless
The assumption is the Green sliders are sufficient indication of the state of each of the conditions. I don't think that would be an issue if the nomenclature were improved. Focus is far more flexible and configurable than the old Do Not Disturb, and in that regard I think a worthy effort and I am sure the developers understood exactly what they were talking/thinking about as they added the new features, but I am not sure it is as clear to those of us who were not at the table during the design phase.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60442 01/03/22 01:51 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe did you not say before to keep smart activation off, (or was another thing said to have off)?

"The assumption is the Green sliders ...."

I'm asking... when set schedule, no apply or done, so I think you just have hit back arrow, and I'm not sure it keeps always what you just set it at! May stick sometimes, may not stick... Have tested schedule?.

For the thread here, I don't use, any new focus stuff only Do not Disturb, (but I take notes on these new things you mention, for future reference ..thanks..)

Thanks for confirming little bit of chaos here (or I'll use that word if it's ok!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard