FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Messages all send faiilures/ not delivered
#60093 12/07/21 06:53 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Lately, been getting immediate not delivered, send failures all, I think all, text send out, especially to would be clients, use phone number. Before... 1/2 would work, any ideas/

second after posted 1 got delivered, immediate, 5-6 row immediate not delivered then one, I don't know logic

Last edited by kevs; 12/07/21 06:55 PM.
Re: Messages all send faiilures/ not delivered
kevs #60096 12/07/21 11:49 PM

Are you actually getting a "not delivered" notice when you hit send or simply no response?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60098 12/08/21 12:39 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks Joe , yes, says, "not delivered" right away.

So know, I do this a lot not on ios, but on messages app on laptop

kevs #60100 12/08/21 03:50 PM

This is a reasonably complete discussion and suggested fixes for your "not delivered" messages.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #60101 12/08/21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks Joe , yes, says, "not delivered" right away.

So know, I do this a lot not on ios, but on messages app on laptop

Power the phone off then turn it back on. Might do the trick.

Also, if these issues were happening on December 7, 2021 it could have been a consequence of Amazon Web Services (AWS) going down, which took out web services for many major and minor companies. Who knows where the text messages needed to go, but could not.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #60103 12/08/21 08:20 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks guys, this is not with iphone, I'm sending business text via messages on laptop, on Monterey.

Ok today several failed, but a couple went through fine.

Just reading that article, how on Monterrey do you see all options on sending are being utilized, ie iMessages ...

I thinking maybe some peoples numbers just go out ok and others just dont?

kevs #60106 12/08/21 11:40 PM

Thanks guys, this is not with iphone, I'm sending business text via messages on laptop, on Monterey.

Six of one half a dozen of the other

Originally Posted by keys
Just reading that article, how on Monterrey do you see all options on sending are being utilized, ie iMessages …

The routing is handled by Apple's Message servers not in your Mac or iPhone.

If the TO address is a telephone number or email address that is associated with an Apple ID, when you hit send…
  1. Your device sends the message via the internet to Apple's Message server(s).
  2. the message servers will acknowledge receipt of the message along with an indiction the recipient has a Apple message account
  3. your device will display a blue bubble around the message text
  4. the Message servers will attempt to send the message to the recipient via the internet
  5. when Apple's Message server gets a receipt from the recipient's device that will reported to your device and you will get the delivered notice
  6. when your recipient opens the message you will get the read notice via the same system
  7. if Apple's Message servers are unable to get a receipt from the destination's Apple device then they will attempt to send the message via SMS but because there is no provision for acknowledging receipt or opening of a message in the SMS protocol there is no received or read report.

If the number is NOT associated with an Apple ID...
  1. Your device sends the message via the internet to Apple's Message server(s).
  2. the message servers will acknowledge receipt of the message to your device
  3. as there is no indiction the address is associated with an Apple ID your device will display a green bubble around the message text.
  4. Apple's Message servers will send the message via SMS but because there is no provision for acknowledging receipt or opening of a message in the SMS protocol there is no received or read report and the message goes into the proverbial but-bucket without your knowledge or ability to determine.

NOTE:
  • ALL OF THE ROUTING TAKES PLACE ON APPLE'S SERVERS AND YOU HAVE NO ACCESS TO SEE WHAT ACTUALLY TAKES PLACE
  • The fact that a telephone number is associated with an Apple-ID is not stored on your device.
  • The network switching from internet to telco used by Message is behind the ability to make or receive telephone calls on your Mac or other Apple device that does not have
  • SMS and MMS are very primitive protocols developed for use with telephone devices but because they were so widely accepted they have a lot of developmental inertia so if you send a text message to a non-sms capable device it may show up as with a green bubble, but it really doesn't go anywhere except the bit-bucket.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60111 12/09/21 03:06 AM

when your recipient opens the message you will get the read notice via the same system

That's if your recipient has enabled Send Read Receipts in Preferences (Mac) or Settings (iPhone).

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #60118 12/09/21 05:46 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Great info Joe thanks and DK:

Bottom line: Even if get 4 in row Red, not delivered, but then get 1 blue delivered, all instant, everything is ok, nothing I can do -- it's working.

That what I kind of thought: stuff.. some potential clients are blessed by Apple others not. PIty many wont get my text; that said, by time they get text from me everything else failed: phone call, email, I text as last option to get to them from their email inquiry. And that last option of a text, sometimes works!

kevs #60120 12/09/21 06:48 PM

And that last option of a text, sometimes works!

…which is not due to a fault with your iPhone, iOS, or Apple. It is because the SMS standards are simplistic and primitive. There are other, more robust, messaging systems available, but like Apple's Message their robustness and reliability is dependent on both parties being subscribed to and using the same system. Message is arguably the most secure and reliable of the messaging options and other than SMS & MMS because of the popularity of the iPhone probably the most widely used.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard