for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Message Effects
#60031 11/27/21 11:17 PM
OP Offline

I am trying to send a short home video to someone and I keep getting the "message effects" pop up like "gentle, loud" etc. I checked and that option is turned off. I picked one just to see what would happen, and I still couldn't send it. I turned Messages off and on and rebooted my phone, but I am still getting the effects option which I do not want and there the video sits. How do I get out of it?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Message Effects
plantsower #60035 11/28/21 03:28 PM

Because of the limitations imposed by the iPhone form factor, iOS differentiates between a tap, and a long hold. A brief tap on the send arrow will send the message on its way without special effects, holding your finger on the arrow for half a second or more brings up the "send with effect" menu. There are numerous places in iOS where different actions are triggered by a tap, long hold, or even a firm press. In most cases a tap is the basic gesture and a long hold triggers special features. This cannot be turned off as it would deny access to many iOS/iPhone features. Just remember to tap and not hold.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60036 11/28/21 06:03 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Joe. I had read that somewhere else, but it didn't seem to work. Plus, once I actually picked "gentle" just to get on with it, it looked like nothing happened except for the "gentle" becoming bolder in print. I didn't even hear the send sound that I usually hear. A few minutes later, the recipient let me know she got the video. I have sent pics and videos before and this never happened so I was at a loss.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Because of the limitations imposed by the iPhone form factor, iOS differentiates between a tap, and a long hold. A brief tap on the send arrow will send the message on its way without special effects, holding your finger on the arrow for half a second or more brings up the "send with effect" menu. There are numerous places in iOS where different actions are triggered by a tap, long hold, or even a firm press. In most cases a tap is the basic gesture and a long hold triggers special features. This cannot be turned off as it would deny access to many iOS/iPhone features. Just remember to tap and not hold.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #60037 11/28/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Thanks, Joe. I had read that somewhere else, but it didn't seem to work.

Probably here. NOTE: you can view the various effects without sending them and just because you send them not every smart phone is capable if displaying them. Sending a message with an effect requires three steps…
  1. long press the send arrow to activate effects
  2. select the desired effect (Bubble or screen)
  3. tap the send arrow to actually send the message and the chosen effect

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/28/21 06:54 PM. Reason: add steps

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60038 11/28/21 07:18 PM
OP Offline

Right. But the weird thing was when the effects showed up and I picked one, there was no send button or arrow to click on! That's why I was at a loss and had no idea the video had actually been sent.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
Thanks, Joe. I had read that somewhere else, but it didn't seem to work.

Probably here. NOTE: you can view the various effects without sending them and just because you send them not every smart phone is capable if displaying them. Sending a message with an effect requires three steps…
  1. long press the send arrow to activate effects
  2. select the desired effect (Bubble or screen)
  3. tap the send arrow to actually send the message and the chosen effect

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard