Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Incoming call Badge nuisance
#59936 11/14/21 07:53 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Sometimes, intermittent, incoming calls get thin horizontal badge at top. Makes real hard as have use tiny little circle for speaker etc. Any idea why this badge comes on sometimes? Anyway to nuke it?

Re: Incoming call Badge nuisance
kevs #59937 11/14/21 11:26 PM

Are these calls coming in when there is another app active on the screen?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #59943 11/15/21 06:14 PM

With one of the recent iOS updates Apple moved from incoming calls taking over the entire screen to the banner you are seeing. It is supposed to be less intrusive when other apps are on the screen. This is now the standard for incoming calls, as far as I know, when another app is in front.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59945 11/15/21 07:22 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe/ Ira. I have never figured out why happening so makes sense, another app going on. But who give a **** another app is up.

The incoming call is urgent now and I hate tiny little banner, Right who cares that I'm listening to a podcast or whatever, now having troubling letting someone in building (finding keypad for phone) or getting the speaker phone to work.

Ok... that said.. Ira, Joe... Can I get behavior back to how was and not have banner come up?

kevs #59948 11/15/21 10:58 PM

As far as I know the new banners are a fixture of iOS 15. I can think of two ways to get rid of them and one potential workaround you probably won't like…
  • Switch to a different cellular phone from another manufacturer
  • Revert back to iOS 14 (I have no idea how you would do that)
  • In Settings > Phone > Notifications turn Announce Settings ON. (Siri would then verbally announce your phone calls and instead of looking for the stop or answer icons you just say, "hang up" or "answer". In this unique instance "Hey Siri" is not required.)

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/15/21 11:00 PM. Reason: ending parenthesis

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59952 11/16/21 05:32 PM

I am using iOS 14.8.1 and the banner as previously described is what shows up. So reverting to iOS 14.x will not resolve the issue.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #59953 11/16/21 05:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys looks likes stuck with these forced banners? Curious you not like them? (sometimes I have issue no one else minds)

kevs #59957 11/16/21 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
Curious you not like them? (sometimes I have issue no one else minds)

They initially took me by surprise, but I have no objection to them. For one reason or another I have recently found myself receiving phone calls when I am in the midst of doing something on the internet or another app on my iPhone and the new notification allows me the opportunity to accept or reject the call based on my personal priorities at the moment, and because I don't have any difficulty discerning the Accept and Reject icons, I have come to really like them.

In the past I have preferred the iPhone Max models on the theory their larger screens worked better with my big hands and elder eyes, but this time around I downsized to the standard iPhone 13 and to my surprise I found virtually no difference in usability between it and the iPhone 11 Max it replaced. Part of this is the improved screen resolution but another big part comes from the Accessibility settings I have chosen and now us on all my devices. You might find some of these may help you deal with the new banners. For what it is worth, the settings I use are...

Settings > Accessibility > Vision > Display & Text Size
  • Bold Text ON
  • Larger Text > Larger Accessibility Sizes [col or:#009900]ON[/color] (slider adjusted to mid-range)
  • ButtonShapes ON
  • On/Off Labels ON
  • Reduce Transparency ON
  • Increase Contrast ON
  • Differentiate Without Color ON
  • Smart Invert OFF
  • Classic Invert OFF
  • Color Filters OFF
  • Auto-Brightness ON

NOTE: In iOS 15 under Settings > Accessibility > General > Per-App Settings — most of these accessibility settings to be set uniquely for each or any app. So you can have different settings for each app.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59963 11/17/21 06:43 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, never visited Accessibility, yet, and don't need it now, but now I now about it for a few years down road!

But banner I'm posting about is not the little round circles at bottom for accepting not accepting, its a horizontal banner that comes up at the top.

kevs #59965 11/17/21 10:47 PM

thanks Joe, never visited Accessibility, yet, and don't need it now, but now I now about it for a few years down road!

I hadn't either until an installer put them on the screen and I decided to go through them. I found they were helpful and so the customized settings have become my standard setup.

Originally Posted by keys
But banner I'm posting about is not the little round circles at bottom for accepting not accepting, its a horizontal banner that comes up at the top.

If you mean like this? That is what I was talking about. It only appears if there is another active app open on the screen. When there is no active app an incoming call looks like this and there are no accept or hang-up icons, instead there is a "slide to answer' bar near the bottom of the screen.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/17/21 10:51 PM. Reason: Improved response.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59969 11/18/21 02:32 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, ok, so just let us know when/ if there is a way to nuke that horizontal badge on the top!

kevs #59982 11/18/21 07:10 PM

thanks Joe, ok, so just let us know when/ if there is a way to nuke that horizontal badge on the top!

No. At least that what was being said in the posts above.

On a Mac since 1984.
kevs #59984 11/19/21 12:14 AM

Don't use apps that must have a screen display when they are active. For example when Music is playing, if you click the Home button it will blank the screen, but Music will continue to play. In that condition, when a phone call comes in, it will pause Music, take over the full screen with the slide to answer a the bottom of the screen. When you terminate the call, Music resumes. I have no idea how many apps that applies to, but I just tested to verify that it works in Music.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/19/21 12:15 AM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #59985 11/19/21 03:33 AM

Settings -> Phone -> Allow Phone to Access -> Incoming Calls -> Banner -> When Phone is Unlocked Display as -> Full Screen

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #59990 11/19/21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by dkmarsh
Settings -> Phone -> Allow Phone to Access -> Incoming Calls -> Banner -> When Phone is Unlocked Display as -> Full Screen

Argh!! What did you do, read the manual?? grin Who knew it was an option.

One note though, "Allow Phone to Access" is not a tap on setting, but rather the heading for a section (that might be overlooked). Good catch! This solves kev's problem.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #59991 11/19/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Argh!! What did you do, read the manual?? grin Who knew it was an option.
And therein lies my biggest iOS peeve. It's waaay too cumbersome...impossible to fully digest without putting in a heroic effort.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
dkmarsh #59992 11/19/21 06:45 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks DK, I wont get excited until a few weeks have passed and see solved, but hoping.... (Just saying that as an Apple supervisor had me do some tweeks did not solve it, hopefully this goes better)

Ironally, just saw this post but was going to reply to today anyway. Just hour ago, had to let client in the building with the phone. And so tortuous with little horizontal banner at top. You click little speaker to hear them but then I HAVE TO GET TO KEYPAD quicly, to let them in building and to find that took like 3-4 clicks as blocked.. Hope thing solves it, hard to explain, but The normal phone keypad is not there with this banner situation. Normally the phone keypad is right there.

kevs #59995 11/20/21 03:10 AM

If you simply tap the banner anywhere other than the answer or hang up green or red buttons, then the screen should revert to just like it always used to be.....no more little banner with missing options.

Edited to correct "auto correct" typo.....

Last edited by MacManiac; 11/20/21 03:11 AM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #59996 11/21/21 08:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Mac! Will note/ remember if DK tip does not pan out.

dkmarsh #60034 11/28/21 01:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

DK Marsh, it's holding up so think you have solved the nasty banner issue, thanks! (hopefully)...

2 more, 2 final nuisances, can you solve?:

https://postimg.cc/zV8d5gq9

The green one on right still comes up quite a bit, it's iphone saying redundantly, do you want to call with iphone?, total nuisance.

And one left if iphone asking to choose between several choices. another total nuisance.. one on left has not bothered with for awhile but it will come back with force....

kevs #60045 11/29/21 05:50 PM

DK Marsh, it's holding up so think you have solved the nasty banner issue, thanks! (hopefully)...

2 more, 2 final nuisances, can you solve?:

https://postimg.cc/zV8d5gq9

The green one on right still comes up quite a bit, it's iphone saying redundantly, do you want to call with iphone?, total nuisance.

And one left if iphone asking to choose between several choices. another total nuisance.. one on left has not bothered with for awhile but it will come back with force....

What are the circumstances under which the right-hand "call with iPhone" comes up? It should come up if there is a phone number in the text that you have selected or tapped on or… .

The left-hand one, select a speaker source, is familiar and equally annoying to me. When you have more than one audio source, and your screen shot shows there are 3, although all of them may not be realistic for talking; the iPhone asks which do you want to use. To us the iPhone may be the obvious one, but the iOS may not see it that way. I don't think you can change this, but I'll let DKM tell us which setting to change. grin

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #60052 11/29/21 11:31 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira thanks for confirming that the 2nd one is annoying.

For first I have no idea, so you are saying then that one comes up it means what?, did not understand.

kevs #60059 11/30/21 05:40 PM

I was actually asking you when does it come up. I am guessing it is when your iPhone thinks you have selected or tapped on something with a phone number in it. What was on the screen before the right-hand image appeared?

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #60060 11/30/21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
I was actually asking you when does it come up. I am guessing it is when your iPhone thinks you have selected or tapped on something with a phone number in it. What was on the screen before the right-hand image appeared?

…or more than one phone number?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #60062 11/30/21 08:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, I'll try to now make an effort to catch what happening before I get the nuisance message. From top of my head I think I'm dialing out, or clicking a number on screen and then wondering, why not just make the call..? report back or if you see it and figure out what proceeds this one...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard