An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yahoo Mail lagging
#59908 11/11/21 07:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I know most people use Gmail nowadays but I don't want to. I've had Yahoo mail forever. In the past few weeks, it has taken anywhere from 30 minutes to hours before I receive emails from the Yahoo server into my Apple mail. I've taken to looking at my Yahoo account online and there it sits not going anywhere. I haven't changed any settings.

I did read where on Jan 1, 2021 they refuse to forward email from their free accounts. But I'm not sure that's what the problem is. If forwarding means from their website to my Apple Mail, then it has never stopped, just slowed down greatly.

Any ideas?


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 91,0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: Yahoo Mail lagging
plantsower #59910 11/11/21 09:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Online
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Forwarding email means sending it to another account, not accessing the mail via different client software as you are. Without unfettered access to Yahoo's coding there is no way of accurately determining what, if anything, is going on. It would not be the first time Yahoo messed with their free email accounts to encourage users to go through Yahoo's online webmail client and expose them to the advertising and marketing Yahoo relies on for their financial survival. (At one time the webmail client was the only way to use a free Yahoo email account.) It should be noted Gmail is, if anything worse than Yahoo, just sneakier, in selling your email data and content to advertisers. Nothing goes through Google that isn't available to advertisers for a price. (If you believe the claims the data cannot be linked to you as an individual I would like to talk to you about an investment opportunity in a bridge in Brooklyn.)

If you want to test to see if Yahoo is delaying sending your email try logging onto their webmail portal and see how much delay you see between a given message showing up on their webmail and in Mail on your computer. If you find a significant difference consider paying for your Yahoo account.

NOTE: As a reality check no one provides truly free email accounts. You will either pay for it directly in the form of fee for service or indirectly in the form of being bombarded with advertising, spam, and significant loss of privacy.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/11/21 09:38 PM. Reason: re-phrase


"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: Yahoo Mail lagging
joemikeb #59914 11/11/21 10:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
Thanks, Joe. I know it gets into the Yahoo webmail quickly because I checked today for that very thing. I don't want to pay them any money. If it's really important that I get something quickly, I will just go to the webmail first. It's irritating though.

I once tried to sign up for Gmail and they asked way to many questions like Google does if you want an account, so I steered clear of accounts with either one of them.



Originally Posted by joemikeb
Forwarding email means sending it to another account, not accessing the mail via different client software as you are. Without unfettered access to Yahoo's coding there is no way of accurately determining what, if anything, is going on. It would not be the first time Yahoo messed with their free email accounts to encourage users to go through Yahoo's online webmail client and expose them to the advertising and marketing Yahoo relies on for their financial survival. (At one time the webmail client was the only way to use a free Yahoo email account.) It should be noted Gmail is, if anything worse than Yahoo, just sneakier, in selling your email data and content to advertisers. Nothing goes through Google that isn't available to advertisers for a price. (If you believe the claims the data cannot be linked to you as an individual I would like to talk to you about an investment opportunity in a bridge in Brooklyn.)

If you want to test to see if Yahoo is delaying sending your email try logging onto their webmail portal and see how much delay you see between a given message showing up on their webmail and in Mail on your computer. If you find a significant difference consider paying for your Yahoo account.

NOTE: As a reality check no one provides truly free email accounts. You will either pay for it directly in the form of fee for service or indirectly in the form of being bombarded with advertising, spam, and significant loss of privacy.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 91,0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: Yahoo Mail lagging
plantsower #59924 11/13/21 07:28 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Online
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by plantsower
I once tried to sign up for Gmail and they asked way to many questions like Google does if you want an account, so I steered clear of accounts with either one of them.

I know from past remarks, iCloud gives you hives, but given your current situation this could easily solve your email delay annoyance. As an Apple owner/customer you are entitled to a FREE Apple email account (@icloud.com) with a number of unique options? Even better, Apple does not sell or give away your information to anyone, and does not subject you to advertising — even their own*¹.

FOOTNOTE:
  1. While Apple does not charge for this service and derives no direct revenue from it, my contention there is no such thing as free email holds true with Apple email as well. Apple's customers pay for email service in the form of brand loyalty.



"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: Yahoo Mail lagging
joemikeb #59925 11/13/21 08:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
I had no idea. I may look into it not that I believe that they don't sell my info. I don't trust anyone anymore just because they say it. Companies are getting caught all the time now for lying. I did start to use an alternate account that I have that never gives me any problems, and now I only use my Yahoo account for junk mail! LOL! I never see ads in my email program anyway.

Thanks, Joe. I wonder why I wasn't aware of the free Apple email account
.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
I once tried to sign up for Gmail and they asked way to many questions like Google does if you want an account, so I steered clear of accounts with either one of them.

I know from past remarks, iCloud gives you hives, but given your current situation this could easily solve your email delay annoyance. As an Apple owner/customer you are entitled to a FREE Apple email account (@icloud.com) with a number of unique options? Even better, Apple does not sell or give away your information to anyone, and does not subject you to advertising — even their own*¹.

FOOTNOTE:
  1. While Apple does not charge for this service and derives no direct revenue from it, my contention there is no such thing as free email holds true with Apple email as well. Apple's customers pay for email service in the form of brand loyalty.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 91,0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1




Re: Yahoo Mail lagging
plantsower #59926 11/13/21 09:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Moderator
Online
Moderator

Joined: Aug 2009
Likes: 6
Apple Support Article HT201356 has all the instructions for changing your Apple-ID and setting up an Apple Email account. It is really quite simple, but you will want to provide a cell phone or other number capable of receiving text messages. It is invaluable for two-step verification, recovering lost passwords, etc.



"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"

- Mark Twain
Re: Yahoo Mail lagging
joemikeb #59927 11/13/21 09:13 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OP Online

Joined: Sep 2009
Likes: 1
OK. Thanks, Joe.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Apple Support Article HT201356 has all the instructions for changing your Apple-ID and setting up an Apple Email account. It is really quite simple, but you will want to provide a cell phone or other number capable of receiving text messages. It is invaluable for two-step verification, recovering lost passwords, etc.


MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.7
Safari Tech Prev 14.2
Safari 14.1.1
Firefox 91,0.2
Music 1.0.6.10
iPhone 7 Version 14.1





Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4
(Release build 20200307)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.32 Page Time: 0.018s Queries: 28 (0.012s) Memory: 0.7393 MB (Peak: 0.8151 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-11-28 06:04:02 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS